• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Nintendo's Monkey Business

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 11:48 am Reply with quote
Super Robot Wars X: Sweet, Captain Nemo and the Neo Nautilus kick some ass in this game.

Quote:
I really do wonder why they haven't gone whole-hog on introducing classic Namco titles to SRW yet: it'd be neat to see the likes of Xevious, Ace Combat, Xenosaga, and others in the mix.

At this stage, the lines (dimensional lines that is) between the anime and game universes are so blurred that you make a valid point. Moon Dwellers had Haken Browning briefly mention his time in Project X Zone (someone mentioned this to me), so it's not really a stretch, at least in the main SRW series (because OG Saga is called Original Generation for a reason obviously).

Nintendo and Cygames:

Quote:
(They also made early smartphone success Rage of Bahamut, which nowadays is essentially a well to draw new Granblue Fantasy characters from.)

And not just Rage of Bahamut either: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe06aLQwOSU

This one especially surprised me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9Ln5I2fNrQ

Dragalia Lost: The characters can turn into dragons for this game? Sounds like an awesome gimmick.

Last edited by belvadeer on Thu May 03, 2018 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Assuming SRWX is around the same length as SRWV, I think I'm at the halfway point now. I'd expected to be further, but my Divinity: Original Sin 2 co-op partner is back in action after a week or two swamped by work commitments.

Of the two "full" SRW titles, I think I'd rate V slightly higher on the basis of what I've played so far of X, but that's largely because the Yamato 2199 sections in V are just so strong. The N-Nautilus is cool, but there's a certain magic to controlling the Yamato.

In terms of future licenses I'd like to see the series cover, I'd really like to see some more non-mecha sci-fi shows make an appearance. The Irresponsible Captain Tylor would be a good fit. Tytania could also work, as could the new adaptation of Legend of the Galactic Heroes. That said, I suspect the most likely outcome is for Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans and/or Macross Delta to get the star turn in the next main-series title.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Xenosaga's shown up already in the SRW games. Endless Frontier and its sequel, Exceed, had Kos-Mos, T-elos and Momo. Its really a shame EXCEED never came over considering its a much better game than its prequel. To almost silly degrees.

Getting it in a typical, oof. I'd be down. Especially since it means playable Asher.

Last edited by Lynx Amali on Fri May 04, 2018 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:17 pm Reply with quote
That SNK Heroines game looks a bit much. Love fighting games and all, but who wants to see scantily-clad women fighting each other?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:20 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Dragalia Lost: The characters can turn into dragons for this game? Sounds like an awesome gimmick.

If it weren't for Corrin already being able to do that, then I'd say they'd be quite welcome to be put into the Smash Bros. cast. (Well, they can still be. There's still room for them.) This franchise also looks to have good potential for Assist Trophies, items, and stages too.

Well, they stand a better chance than Ever Oasis, at any rate.
Darkabomination

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of new Steam releases flying under the radar, I'd really, really recommend Copy Kitty. It's a labor of love by two awesome people over the course of 7 years.
It's a colorful 2d shooter that's like Megaman, Gunstar Heroes, Kirby, and with the art style of Battle network thrown into a blender with cute robots, a cat that can combine 3 powers together to form a unique ability, and has excellent level design. Also some insane bosses.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 10:03 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
That SNK Heroines game looks a bit much. Love fighting games and all, but who wants to see scantily-clad women fighting each other?

The same people who like characters like Mai & Cammy for obvious reasons and who also like the idea of putting said characters in different outfits. And these people aren't exclusive to Japan.
Heishi

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 10:13 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:

I don't know, why don't you ask people who buy games like Dead or Alive?
Shinigami-Seishou

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 3:54 am Reply with quote
These are great and all but can we please get a Diddy Kong Racing game? Brand new, old don't matter!
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Considering that loot boxes have been classified as gambling, I'm very worried on how Nintendo's new CEO will tackle this problem.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 2:43 pm Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
Considering that loot boxes have been classified as gambling, I'm very worried on how Nintendo's new CEO will tackle this problem.

Well, they're classified as gambling in one country so far, though other countries have legislators who are discussing this issue.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1