• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Akiko Yajima Steps Down From Crayon Shin-chan's Title Role After 26 Years

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anddo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:32 am Reply with quote
Very sad to hear, I hope her health is fine and she enjoys a prosperous retirement. Pretty crazy how her final episode will air on my birthday.
Brack

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:43 am Reply with quote
anddo! wrote:
Very sad to hear, I hope her health is fine and she enjoys a prosperous retirement. Pretty crazy how her final episode will air on my birthday.

She's only 51 and still does other roles, so I doubt this a full retirement. Just stepping down from her most iconic role.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:04 am Reply with quote
Wow she's decently young too. I've never watched the series so I can't say if her voice has changed or not.
Brack

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:46 am Reply with quote
Somer-_- wrote:
Wow she's decently young too. I've never watched the series so I can't say if her voice has changed or not.

It's completely different to how the series started, but even by the first film the voice had already changed to something closer to the current voice. I think as the animation got wilder, the vocal performances matched and settled to what's now familiar.

Nowadays she's perhaps doing it slightly higher, but that might just be differences in sound production.

If you find clips of her normal speaking voice, it's a pretty major transformation into Shin-chan's distinct voice.
OjaruFan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:53 am Reply with quote
Shocked

I'm a little saddened by this news, but Yajima's reason for stepping down is understandable. It was bound to happen eventually. I wonder who Shin-chan's new voice actor will be.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:53 am Reply with quote
This shows how exceptional Masako Nozawa is.She has been voicing Goku and his family for even longer than this,it's more straining on her due to the multiple characters and all the yelling and fighting,she's on her 80's and has already said she will keep doing it for a good while
mrsatan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:58 pm Reply with quote
This is a bit distressing. Seiyuu don't usually quit stable, well paying gigs like that unless they're very, very old.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:15 am Reply with quote
Lots of memories from this show. My mom hated it when me and my siblings were younger, she would let us watch it until the nice round butt came scooting across the screen everywhere. Recently we watched it together and actually had some great laughs with it, which proves why it is really meant to be an adult humor show, even in Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
megazero

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:30 am Reply with quote
So sad to hear this, this is like a legend having a curtain call.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1