• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: USA Today Booklist, December 3–9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Josh7289

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Well, they're not returning to a bimonthly release, but instead continuing with a bimonthly release. It used to be a trimonthly release schedule, at least.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:17 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit, I am still surprised that it worked. It's a lot of commitment money-wise to ask of fans.

Of course, there are few series that have the popularity to make it work, but it is definitely interesting to know that it does work.
Bunk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:59 pm Reply with quote
When I saw what they were doing with the Naruto manga, I applauded. From a marketing standpoint, it's so smart of them to do this. I bet they've made hand over fist in profit. You gotta capitalize on a series while it's white hot to make the most money off of it. I had hoped they were going to catch up to the manga releases in Japan. I had stopped collecting the Naruto manga, but now that I see they've released so many, I'll be sure to catch up again.

I remember calling Viz back in 2002 when I realized it would take another 5 years to finish collecting all the DBZ manga. What I said fell on deaf ears, but I told them they would sell a lot more comics if they released the remaining graphic novels ASAP while DBZ was hot.

They didn't. They took a few more years. DBZ lost its popularity long before they finished releasing the graphic novels, and I'm sure they didn't make as much money as they could have.

You can tell how profitable a series is by how much the toys sell for on ebay. Like I said, if the series has run its course and lost its appeal, people aren't willing to pay nearly as much for a cel or a figure, or even bother collecting novels.

On that note, hopefully, Viz will get caught up current to the graphic novel releases in Japan for Naruto. May they try this 3-a-month thing again!
Josh7289

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Bunk wrote:
On that note, hopefully, Viz will get caught up current to the graphic novel releases in Japan for Naruto. May they try this 3-a-month thing again!

Yeah, do it a year or so from now again, maybe tie something in with the anime on CN. It would be insane (awesome).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1