• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Spinoff City

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:34 pm Reply with quote
An IGPX prequel about the Rocket. I've already got a whole series summary planned out for it, so you know I'm committed to the idea.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Gunsmith Cats is a spinoff of Riding Bean that was more successful than the original, though it really changed Rally Vincent's character.

It's sometimes hard to know when a shared universe becomes a spinoff. The A Certain Scientific Railgun manga and anime is a spinoff of A Certain Magical Index. But the various CLAMP shared universes? Do xxxHolic and Tsubasa have a spinoff relationship? What about X/1999 and Tokyo Babylon?

Then there's City Hunter and Angel Heart.

Last edited by John Thacker on Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Suisho Kasumi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Um, the GaoGaiGar and Betterman crossover actually got uncancelled in 2016 and is being published on Yatate Bunko website as a light novel titled "Hakaiou ~GaoGaiGar tai Betterman~" (http://www.yatate.net/gaogaigar/ggg.html), first part of the story already got a printed release in June 2017. Yuichiro Takeda, a writer for both shows, is writing the story while Yoshitomo Yonetani, the director of both, is editing (and calligraphing the title), and other staff members like Kimura are contributing art, so yes, it is an official crossover/sequel.

Last edited by Suisho Kasumi on Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Thacker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I feel like there have to be some notable spinoffs from the 70s that I forgot. Anyone remember any?

How about Galaxy Express 999 as a Space Pirate Captain Harlock spinoff? Razz

A number of crossovers and shared universes.
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:45 pm Reply with quote
How about the weird, edgy(er) Devilman spinoff Amon (released as both The Apocalypse of Devilman and The Dark Side of Devilman)? The manga went to a lot of weirder places than the one-shot OAV and is mostly notable for having some pretty wicked-looking art (and revealing that God's chosen people were the dinosaurs), but both are at least sort-of entertaining.

I don't know if you'd count Devilman Lady, since the manga eventually becomes an explicit sequel, but it goes to some of the maddest places even Nagai has ever gone.

On the subject of Fate spinoffs, basically all the best ones are novels with no official translations (except for Zero, which is better as an anime because Urobuchi's fight scenes are lumps of lifeless purple prose that have no flow or energy on the page). Apocrypha wasn't spectacular even as a book, but the anime stripped out so much characterization and explanation that it's hard to care about most of what happens in it.
If you read Japanese, The Lord El-Melloi II Case Files and Strange Fake are easily among the most fun things to come out of that setting.
If you like Today's Menu for the Emiya Family, you might also enjoy Hollow Ataraxia, the second Fate VN. Today's Menu borrows a lot from the comedic daytime segments that make up most of it (the rest of it is more of a horror story). The Vita release of it also includes a really fun Pokemon/tower defense-esque game that I'm shocked has never gotten a separate mobile release.
Bamble

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:07 pm Reply with quote
A.D. Police was a (really rather good) spin-off from the original Bubblegum Crisis OVAs. The later A.D. Police TV series was originally thought to similarly be a spin-off from the Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040 TV series, but in actuality the continuities are incompatible.

The belated Parasite Dolls was advertised as supposedly being a spin-off from the original Bubblegum Crisis OVAs but could just as easily be connected with the 2040 TV series; I recall it being pretty unclear either way.
SonicFanA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:38 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed Saint Beast and Soul Eater Not. I wish they were mentioned
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:48 pm Reply with quote
About to hang myself, but what the hey... Razz

Remember Ninja Slayer? Rather forget? Anyhow, there was two characters I really felt deserved better: the high school girl Koki Yamoto and the "undead" preacher Genocide. Some clever writing could make good use of these two as a pair.

You can laugh at me now, it's cool. Cool

BTW, couldn't The Cat Returns be considered a spinoff of Whisper of the Heart?
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Ouran High School Dropout wrote:
Remember Ninja Slayer? Rather forget? Anyhow, there was two characters I really felt deserved better: the high school girl Koki Yamoto and the "undead" preacher Genocide. Some clever writing could make good use of these two as a pair.

They get better in the novels. The anime was just a thoroughly misguided adaptation that ignores everything that makes the books work as a parody of Japan-obsessed 90s American cyberpunk. Additionally, Ninja Slayer is the closest thing to untranslatable I have ever seen, because part of the joke is that it's written as if it's been over-literally translated from English.
LoriasGS

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:07 am Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
It's sometimes hard to know when a shared universe becomes a spinoff. The A Certain Scientific Railgun manga and anime is a spinoff of A Certain Magical Index. But the various CLAMP shared universes? Do xxxHolic and Tsubasa have a spinoff relationship?

I'd say Railgun counts as a spinoff because the stories run side by side mostly but Railgun exists because Misaka was a popular character in Index so a series was created where she was the main character.

xxxHolic and Tsubasa probably don't count for similar reasons. As far as I'm aware they were always meant to be sister series running concurrently rather than a decision made much later after a few characters became popular. xxxHolic did start its run a few months before Tsubasa but that seems like a very short amount of time to decide that some characters were popular enough to warrant their own series and then prepare and begin one.

Another magical girl series that was a spinoff of a non-magical girl series was Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha. It was a spinoff of the Triangle Hearts OVA which itself is apparently an adaptation of an adult game.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Angel Links remains a forgettable spinoff to Outlaw Star

I think it's due to the fact it wasn't broadcast on TV here, while it was available only via pay-per-view satellite service in Japan, but at least it got a home release. It really should have been longer than thirteen episodes and given us more backstory on the various cast members (my beloved Duuz is still mysterious as hell); it also feels unfinished in a few ways and the ending is way too abrupt. I think I must be the only Outlaw Star fan who liked Angel Links. It did also have a mini-manga to go with it, though it's impossible to acquire at this point.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:51 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Quote:
Angel Links remains a forgettable spinoff to Outlaw Star

It really should have been longer than thirteen episodes and given us more backstory on the various cast members (my beloved Duuz is still mysterious as hell); it also feels unfinished in a few ways and the ending is way too abrupt. I think I must be the only Outlaw Star fan who liked Angel Links.

"Only" + 1 here! Smile Yes, it could have been longer, and yes, the ending was abrupt--but given the story, it was appropriate. I still have the Bandai DVDs.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Ouran High School Dropout wrote:
"Only" + 1 here! Smile Yes, it could have been longer, and yes, the ending was abrupt--but given the story, it was appropriate. I still have the Bandai DVDs.

Glad to meet another. Same here with the Bandai DVDs. I also own one of the two soundtrack CDs for the show, and let me tell you that was it difficult to find and get delivered to me. The second CD was impossible to locate.
thecasualfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:14 am Reply with quote
Crusher Joe and Dirty Pair... I wouldn't want you guys to forget about some classics! Armor Hunter Mellowlink was a good call! Definitely the best spinoff, aside from Crusher Joe!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1