• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga Answerman - Do English-Language Publishers Ever Collaborate On Manga Releases?

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shar Aznabull

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:11 pm Reply with quote
It'd be nice if Dark Horse reprinted their manga more often :/
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:19 pm Reply with quote
So this explains why Berserk had to reprint a couple years ago. I really wish they could have kept the spines as close to the original run as possible. Now half my Berserk shelf is unaligned with the DMP editions, and it doesn't look very good.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:05 am Reply with quote
Here is a notable case of something similar that was done with an anime here: Funi originally released the TV "Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid" on 4 DVDs from between 11/14/2006 and 5/1/2007. The dubbing, production, and subtitles were done by ADV!
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:12 am Reply with quote
Viz teamed up with Eclipse Comics for their first few titles (Mai the Psychic Girl for one).
WingKing

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Here is a notable case of something similar that was done with an anime here: Funi originally released the TV "Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid" on 4 DVDs from between 11/14/2006 and 5/1/2007. The dubbing, production, and subtitles were done by ADV!

Yeah, according to the notes from the licensing announcements that year, ADV was responsible for production and Funimation for distribution of that series. Not sure how that happened, except that it was probably around the time ADV was running into trouble and looking to cut/recoup some costs.

Also for the handful of Geneon anime that were in production when they folded that Funimation later distributed around 2008-09, like Lyrical Nanoha and the old editions of Higurashi, those also have the logos of both companies.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:26 pm Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:

Yeah, according to the notes from the licensing announcements that year, ADV was responsible for production and Funimation for distribution of that series. Not sure how that happened, except that it was probably around the time ADV was running into trouble and looking to cut/recoup some costs.

It’s because it wasn’t originally a Funimation licensed show. It was handled by Kadokowa USA, which is why the DVDs had trailers for shows like The Third: The Girl With the Blue Eye, which was distributed by Right Stuf. Kadokowa has ADV handle the production, while Funimation just handled the physical distribution for them. Interestingly, the credits on the original DVDs only mention Kadokowa and ADV, nothing about Funimation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1