• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Konami Shuts Down Fan Remake of 'P.T.' Horror Game

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsubomiKoneko

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Sad it got shut down, but glad for him if he really is going to be getting an internship. Hopefully we will see something from him in the future in an actual game release.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Seriously. People. Do not announce these things until you're feature-complete. How have you not learned this by now. If you don't say anything until you dump a surprise 1.0 on the world, it can't ever be put back in the bottle.
CurseTheSky

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Seriously. People. Do not announce these things until you're feature-complete. How have you not learned this by now. If you don't say anything until you dump a surprise 1.0 on the world, it can't ever be put back in the bottle.

At least it seems like Konami is giving him something in return. Nintendo could take a lesson from this (Never thought i'd be saying Nintendo could take lessons from Konami Razz)
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Nobody gives Cease and Desists over the phone. This is incredibly and obviously fishy, and I'm disappointed at ANN for reporting it straight.
partially

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
Nobody gives Cease and Desists over the phone. This is incredibly and obviously fishy, and I'm disappointed at ANN for reporting it straight.

Nowhere does it say he was given a cease and desist. All it indicates is that Konami staff are apparently impressed with what was made, and they want to offer the young one an internship instead of going straight bureaucrat on his arse. Obviously, that would never happen in these times though!
Yen50414

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:54 pm Reply with quote
CurseTheSky wrote:
Top Gun wrote:

At least it seems like Konami is giving him something in return. Nintendo could take a lesson from this (Never thought i'd be saying Nintendo could take lessons from Konami Razz)

Not really, it makes no sense for Nintendo or any company to offer something to everyone that makes a copy of their games.
CurseTheSky

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Yen50414 wrote:
CurseTheSky wrote:
Top Gun wrote:

Not really, it makes no sense for Nintendo or any company to offer something to everyone that makes a copy of their games.

Did i say they should give something to everyone that copies their games?
Yen50414

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:12 pm Reply with quote
CurseTheSky wrote:

Did i say they should give something to everyone that copies their games?

Because everyone is the important part here right? Fine I'll rephrase. You said at least Konami gave him something and Nintendo could learn from it. Implying Nintendo should be giving something to anyone who make a good fan game based on their work.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:48 pm Reply with quote
TsubomiKoneko wrote:
Sad it got shut down, but glad for him if he really is going to be getting an internship. Hopefully we will see something from him in the future in an actual game release.

Seems like a sweet deal... Until you realize it's Konami.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Well this is a nice outcome of the usual cease-and-desist of a fan project. His may be shut down but he got an internship in exchange. I hope that he takes every second of this great opportunity and become one of their finest newcomers in the future.

CurseTheSky wrote:

I like that there is an exchange for shutting down an unofficial project. Nintendo loves taking them down without any doing compensation. Then again, since most recent fan projects are of their IPs, future ones can become those developers' tickets in an attempt to work for Nintendo.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:34 pm Reply with quote
CurseTheSky wrote:
Arale Kurashiki wrote:

And of course you and your all-seeing eye were there to know what happened...

Good one!

But nobody gives cease and desists over the phone. If Konami wanted to take legal action on this game, they would have taken legal action. "We love your work, it's inspired us to make games again!" is not legal action and also doesn't happen.
Fabe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:21 am Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:

the article didn't say anything about a actual 'Cease and Desist'. sounds more like they just asked him to take it down without issuing a official C&D and he complied .
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:36 am Reply with quote
Fabe wrote:
Arale Kurashiki wrote:

the article didn't say anything about a actual 'Cease and Desist'. sounds more like they just asked him to take it down without issuing a official C&D and he complied .

Yes, but doing so isn't "shutting down" anything. It's an informal request and there would be no need for him to comply yet. Moreover, why the hell would they do that? That itself is the huge red flag.
BlueCatPK

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:59 am Reply with quote
Good for him.
Now he'll make slot machines instead of video games.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:10 am Reply with quote
The people who made this clearly are not very intelligent. How many of these have been shut down by different publishers, and yet they still do not get it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2