• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Launches 'Kids' Label With New Hello Kitty Series

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Sentai Filmworks' predecessor ADV Films had an ADV Kidz label, though it published only non-anime titles.

Not true, as ADV Kids was where the Mega Man: Upon a Star OVA was released under, as well as DiC's infamous Knights of the Zodiac adaptation of Saint Seiya. To be fair, though, these might have been the only anime to be released under this label.

Still, I hope this isn't the people at Sentai wanting to return to the girth of the old ADV days. If we start seeing news of a Sentai Manga label, then we better start worrying...
JennLegacy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Oh cool. I wonder if some of their older kids' anime licenses will get moved over. I think I remember them licensing Tribe Cool Crew but never releasing it.
Mr. Dent

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Yes! This is great news- There's finally a reliable label to help me find shows that are okay to watch with my little sister. She's only just turned five, so it'll be nice to go beyond Ghibli and Ponoc for once. (She did enjoy Discotek's Wonderful Wizard of Oz, too.)
CatSword

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:27 pm Reply with quote
I hope they get Kemono Friends! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Faiga_Raisa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Is this a unique title created for Sentai or is it/will be released in Japan? As in, does this have a Japanese title?

Or is it Western-only like that Sacred Lands season of Duel Masters.
consignia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty certain at least some of Hello Kitty was released under the ADV Kids label. For example this; https://www.amazon.com/Hello-Kitty-Friends-Holiday-Kids/dp/B00UGPT3Y8 where the logo looks different from the mainline one (can't quite make out if it says ADV Kids, though), and the publisher is mentioned as them as well.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:44 pm Reply with quote
JennLegacy wrote:
Oh cool. I wonder if some of their older kids' anime licenses will get moved over. I think I remember them licensing Tribe Cool Crew but never releasing it.

They licensed both Tribe Cool Crew and the third season of Phi-Brain four home video release but never did anything with them. I don't know if there's any more shows like those are not that they hold the rights to though. It would be nice if they eventually got a release.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Quote:
Sentai Filmworks' predecessor ADV Films had an ADV Kidz label, though it published only non-anime titles.

Not true, as ADV Kids was where the Mega Man: Upon a Star OVA was released under, as well as DiC's infamous Knights of the Zodiac adaptation of Saint Seiya. To be fair, though, these might have been the only anime to be released under this label.
Still, I hope this isn't the people at Sentai wanting to return to the girth of the old ADV days. If we start seeing news of a Sentai Manga label, then we better start worrying...

Sure sounds like Sentai wanting to get into ADV's old cult/cartoon label, of Farscape, Monster Rancher and DiC-dubbed Sailor Moon fame.
As we were just discussing recently on the "Why did anime companies release US toons?" Answerman column.

If Sentai now has enough money to throw bad money after good mainstream, that at least shows they're getting by in the marketplace. They may never go back to being the ADV they used to be in '99-'00, but at least we're now thinking of them as a real company, and no longer as a "post-00's-Bubble reorganization against bankruptcy".

CatSword wrote:

That would be very, very nice, although I suspect that this is mainly their "TargetMart" line of mass-market English toons for the non-anime kids-'n-parents crowd. Also, as pointed out, they still had the 80's Hello Kitty already from the ADV days, and it was still largely PD.
Otherwise, I'd be asking whether they could take another bash at Sgt. Frog, since I doubt Funi's in a mood to renew the license.
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Faiga_Raisa wrote:
Is this a unique title created for Sentai or is it/will be released in Japan? As in, does this have a Japanese title?

The Hello Kitty cinematic universe is complex.

This entry appears to have been known in Japan as ハローキティとあそぼう!まなぼう!, which was released on NTT's Hikari TV SVOD platform last July, with a DVD release shortly after.
heartlessangel65

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:44 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:

That's a CR co-production
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:52 pm Reply with quote
pajmo9 wrote:
JennLegacy wrote:

They licensed both Tribe Cool Crew and the third season of Phi-Brain four home video release but never did anything with them. I don't know if there's any more shows like those are not that they hold the rights to though. It would be nice if they eventually got a release.

Well there’s Ro-Kyu-Bu!, but the Production company told Sentai to give back the Home Video license for it. So it became an Anime Network/HiDive exclusive. Doubt a show with lolis would get released under this new label.
Freyanne

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:03 pm Reply with quote
pajmo9 wrote:
JennLegacy wrote:

From what I can tell, they (assuming it's Sentai themselves that put it on there) did "release" Tribe Cool Crew on iTunes (and YouTube?), but for some reason, it appears to be only the first half (25 episodes) of the show. It really bothered me since I quite liked that show, and despite me preferring a physical release, I would have bought it on iTunes if it was all 50 episodes. It doesn't feel "right" to only buy half.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Sentai expanding into the kids market is a smart move since this means that they could pontentially license kids anime that have not been licensed for a North American home media release (Mysterious Joker, Bottom Biting Bug, Heybot, etc.), or have not been licensed by a major anime publisher at all (Ninja Boys: Quest for the Cosmic Front, Hanakappa, PriPara, etc.).
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:32 pm Reply with quote
OjaruFan2 wrote:
Sentai expanding into the kids market is a smart move since this means that they could pontentially license kids anime that have not been licensed for a North American home media release (Mysterious Joker, Bottom Biting Bug, Heybot, etc.), or have not been licensed by a major anime publisher at all (Ninja Boys: Quest for the Cosmic Front, Hanakappa, PriPara, etc.).

Well what would be a smart move is to be able to have these titles at like Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc. Little kids are not going to care about it, if they can’t see it for themselves in a retail store. Sure a parent could order it online and just surprise their kid, but with kids it’s better to have them see it for themselves.
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:33 pm Reply with quote
MoonPhase1 wrote:
Well what would be a smart move is to be able to have these titles at like Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc. Little kids are not going to care about it, if they can’t see it for themselves in a retail store. Sure a parent could order it online and just surprise their kid, but with kids it’s better to have them see it for themselves.

Quite a lot of what kids are introduced to comes from the parents, especially at a young age. The parents are the ones in control of the remote and the wallet. Kids are bought a lot of things long before they fully develop tastes & are given more choice in what they consume. Hello Kitty hits young in its media (WAY less so in its merch Wink ) so this would be the age demographic Sentai, at the very least, wants.

I see Sental having more success in treating this as a semi-catered brand that aims for parents who are looking for this, or at least looking for quality children's programming. Shows will be deemed safer under a Kids' label for unsure parents, and won't be seen as much as intellectual chic as GKIDS (a brand which I love the hell out of) but will be more accessible. Getting into the Wal-Marts/Targets won't be as hard but should not be the intended goal.

My guess is that this is intended to be the anime equivalent of Shout Kids. I hope so. Good luck to them!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3