• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Asobi Asobase -workshop of fun- (TV)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:08 am Reply with quote

Asobi Asobase -workshop of fun- (TV)

Genres: comedy, slice of life
Themes: absurdity, school life

Plot Summary: Three classmates play simple hand games. One of the girls is good at games, but hates them as she always lost to her older sister and forced to do chores while growing up. Another girl is of American descent, but raised in Japan, and who only pretends to be bad at Japanese. Another girl usually observes their games, and loses to the other girls. (from manga)
----------------------------------

Episode 1

Now I found that funny. Specifically because, unlike how it first appears, it is nowhere as sweet as you think it is as it devolves into the girls being horrible and or stupid, kind of along the lines of like Aqua from Konosuba. If there was anything to convince me of that it was the scene where the girls go so far as to bring a pool into the classroom, and when playing a teacher sees water and questions them, Hanako goes so far as to say that Olivia peed herself. And then the teacher not fully believing it spoiler[from it being clear, actually decides to taste it] Laughing , which is horrible, but Olivia starts to maybe be convinced the teacher was not so bad because of how Hanako acted, but then she replies that of course it was gross.

I am pretty into this mismatch of genre
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:57 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

These mean spirited girls are hilarious, the addition of the character in the second episode of Chio's road, feels like this season might be dominate in comedy with girls being just the worst. it goes into shows like Watamote and Konosuba, where I think there is good humour in there always being a silly scummy side regardless of airs one may put on. The different art styles it does with faces are also fantastic for setting a wide variety of moods, like a bit of Japanese horror like the grudge in there. That scene was also the one where Olivia actually revealed her true nature of not knowing English, making it all great emotion, and Hanako remembers that Olivia slapped her, now knowing that she was feining not understanding and slapping her on purpose.

I actually thought Hanako would be the weak link, since she is not the overly serious to scary one as is Kasumi, or the interestingly unique fake foreigner who purposely messes with people as with Olivia, and felt like her schtick might be that she is a bit of an idiot. But I think the second episode went a good way to showing her actually the funniest of the bunch, existing as both a genius and idiot at the same time, as well as innocent and twisted, the duality works really well without making it feel like she is inconsistent.

I know that this is early on, but I kind of feel that this could be great to be dubbed, in that I think the delivery is important to how jokes land, so I can see myself interested in how it could be translated.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

Shoe launching is serious business, enough to seriously hurt yourself. I did not really get the armpit one, except maybe that she smelled bad. And a good idea not to let crazy high school girls dictate your online persona for dating.

That moment you are single and realize you are older than your parents when you were born.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4

Laughing
Oh my god, goblin x dwarf killed me. "gobdwarf"

And for the sake to keep a joke running they go ahead with a random aliens existing thing.

What was kind of more shocking at this point was having a teenage girl outright talk about sleeping around a lot, or that it could have the talk about BL stuff. Or the Joker reference, or that the BL looked like Harry Potter.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

Sometimes fashion can be dangerous, and Hanako's devilish outfit really heated things up. Not that it was all the outfits fault, but spinning a pen that hit coffee, that startled a woman whose cigarette started a fire that burn a really nice looking restaurant.

For Loaded Questions, where there is a possibility of a boy in their school, how it ended was pretty great, because Hanako seemed to be the only one who might have realized that it would make no sense. How could were they able to correctly identify the person as Aozora that she could guess it, if all the other evidence was just a coincidence. Aozora certainly has a "down there".

The girls certainly took their time realizing that they were participating in a curse with Oka from the occult club. The panicked questioning of Hanako over looking for a poo with a boxcutter in it was certainly very funny. Also, Oka must have had all those strange items with her, and what was meant by one of the occult members apparently teleporting?

The sex-ed thing was certainly strange, both Hanako and Olivia are completely oblivious. Hananko is a bit of a dorky fool, and while I think that Kasumi has no plans due to her fear of men, I have some suspicions of Olivia's sexuality. After apparently thinking the whole thing of a boyfriend is too bothersome but also saying last episode that apparently her idea of paradise was a bunch of topless girls doing sumo wrestling.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:29 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

Oh man, the last segment made me laugh so much that I had tears in my eyes. I can't even really put it down to one thing, but that it seems to always come with a surprise, or even if not a surprise it still somehow manages to be hilarious. Maeda's freaky parasite drawings, Hanako's reactions, Kasumi's surprisingly good art, more Maeda, and Olivia cutely amateur attempt of a dragon that was clearly a dinosaur with wings. The ED even had Maeda's creepy drawings attached to their heads. Laughing The rest of the episode was good too, a perfect capture of how this show can be cute one second, and completely ruin, such as with the baby, or the cute game that is a brutal shooter, with the shogi club president returning with a vengeance. Just a reminder to a few episodes back where the girls got a hold of reports of possible scandals in the school, and most of them were caused by them. Oh, and the episode also had Hanako getting crazy over bra sizes.

The last one reminds me of the part where Hanako went full Spanish inquisition on Hanako, Olivia even having an aviation cap for a Monty Python reference. Man, Hanako's seiyuu in this show was fantastic, that even as much as I said I wanted a dubbing, I can't imagine someone having to try and match her. Hina Kino did fantastic work ag getting across puberty, with Hanako's really funny mania. Sounds like she practically sacrificed her voice for this role. All three of the main characters were enjoyable, almost feel kind of bad in focusing on one, because they each added their own part to the show as equally important. Olivia was kind of my favourite, and Kasumi certainly had her moments, like when her fear of men came up.

Quantifying why I love this show so much, was how crazy it could get with things being cute, before going to some dark side, like they would backstab each other. But not so much that they were 100% evil or something, as there was this depth that they could also be totally cute, sympathetic, and good natured. That many people can be very pleasant and likable to know, but there is always this dark side, that may not have a maliciousness to it, but human. I think it is safe to say they were human from being multi layered. Kasumi could be incredibly shy and sweet, yet sometimes unrelenting, often feel totally innocent, but have a total perv side in her fan fiction writing, and when she had penises on the brain showing a dirty mouth. Olivia could be a total bitch in purposely messing with people, but also show she could be perfectly sweet and actually pretty innocent, despite her sort of mature side, I think she ends up kind of coming across as the most innocent, not realizing how creepy the things her brother says are. And Hanako, no one could go so bubbly cute like holding a baby in being blown by maternal feelings, before total freak out as it is trying to kill her. Hanako kind of gets shown to surprisingly be the smartest of the group, yet could often across as the dumbest, continuing the very funny contrast.

Added onto the writing, was how something could feel like a one of joke that will not have an explanation, before it becomes the centre of a segment later in trying to explain it. Mistaking shogi for butt lasers gets shown as someone actually having a butt laser, someone supposedly teleporting has to follow up what actually happened to her, and so on. The show always offered a surprise, that I wonder if a repeat viewing would even convey the same effect, which I certainly hope for, that Asobi Asobase could get an English release. I would love to purchase it.

I don't think a show like this can be measured in the same way other show do, comedy is different, and by pure experience, this show was my favourite of the season. From its overly cute and deceptive OP, to its rough ED with death metal, my favourite ED of the season. My favourite show of the season too. I give a rating of Excellent (9/10), this is what I call my jam in anime that can surprise.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1