• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Voynich Hotel GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:28 am Reply with quote
There's another important reference in the series -- the island of Blefescu is from Gulliver's Travels, the neighbor of Lilliput where they eat boiled eggs from the big end first.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:47 am Reply with quote
Yeah, few people are sufficiently prepared for this author's works.
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I love this artist! His artstyle is one of the many influences on my art and I enjoy his sense of humor and dark storytelling. I’ve been reading a lot of his work for ages now and Voynich Hotel is one of my faves.

With that all said...Yeah his stuff is definitely not for everybody ^^;; There’s some explicit/uncomfortable/WTF stuff that will only fly if you’re willing to laugh at it.
CatSword

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:58 pm Reply with quote
I wish T-rated titles like this were out when my mom cared about the ratings on the back of my books. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:05 pm Reply with quote
"Too deliberately weird", lol. That is not a criticism imo.

I loved this manga thus far. It's legitimately excellently crafted. Every single chapter advances the plot in a significant way, and all the numerous disparate plot threads come together in surprising way.

It's a bit more Hotel Flower, Sun, and Rain than California ;P
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Good catch of the Voynich Manuscript reference, too bad it has been decoded so not as mysterious as the mangaka thought but good try...https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/09/the-mysterious-voynich-manuscript-has-finally-been-decoded/
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Good catch of the Voynich Manuscript reference, too bad it has been decoded so not as mysterious as the mangaka thought but good try...https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/09/the-mysterious-voynich-manuscript-has-finally-been-decoded/

Lol no it hasn't. That claim was pretty quickly debunked by actual voynich scholars.
harminia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm a big fan of Dowman's work, but still haven't gotten around to finishing this... I'm really glad it's being released though. I hope they pick up Nickelodeon too.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:08 pm Reply with quote
The fact this never got an anime is criminal.

If you like Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei, both art and style, this is right up your alley; id say this is more HP Lovecraft SZS, but the ending on SZS is kind out there in its own right.
marshmallowpie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:36 am Reply with quote
Seven Seas was already my favourite for manga before they picked this up, but releasing a Douman Seiman title in English really makes them number one even more. I hope this does well for them, although I can't imagine what other manga of his could get licensed... but I never expected this either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1