• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New Site Configuration Options

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Sounds good (I’ve never found the infinite scroll useful and it has caused me problems), however the button doesn’t seem to do anything on iOS (11.4.1), in either Chrome or Safari (latest versions).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:32 pm Reply with quote
I had to click the button multiple times before it worked. Sadly it didn't occur to me to check in the dev tools if it was dropping any error messages. Seems to work consistently now so I guess my browser managed to load&cache all the necessary js files.
Double Mangekyo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:34 pm Reply with quote
So I disabled reviews and left everything else as it was.
And now both the Site News article that led me here, the Bryce Papenbrook interview (among other feature articles) and the Otakon cosplay gallery disappeared... What's up with that? Can they only be seen if I enable everything?
VinceA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:57 pm Reply with quote
When I choose All Devices in the dropdown I get informed it's only for registered users. I'm a registered user & subscriber. Think there might be some issues with the All Devices code.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
the button doesn’t seem to do anything on iOS (11.4.1), in either Chrome or Safari (latest versions).

Thanks for noticing that, I'm working on it. (What I really don't understand is that it works for the gear icon in the sidebar!)

Double Mangekyo wrote:
So I disabled reviews and left everything else as it was.
And now both the Site News article that led me here, the Bryce Papenbrook interview (among other feature articles) and the Otakon cosplay gallery disappeared... What's up with that? Can they only be seen if I enable everything?

Ah, yes, that's a limitation of the current system. You only have News+Interest+Columns enabled. I hope we can fix that soon.

VinceA wrote:
When I choose All Devices in the dropdown I get informed it's only for registered users. I'm a registered user & subscriber. Think there might be some issues with the All Devices code.

Yep, there was that issue for people who were already logged in at the time the change went live; now fixed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Thank you! Infinite scroll was annoying as hell.

Also, the prominent gear was a good idea, makes the fact that there are options much clearer. (This was a comment raised in the infinite scroll discussion, that people didn't use the options they already had.) Ditto being able to set per-device, that's a real biggie.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Thaaaank you!!!! Very Happy
Karl29

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Sounds good (I’ve never found the infinite scroll useful and it has caused me problems), however the button doesn’t seem to do anything on iOS (11.4.1), in either Chrome or Safari (latest versions).

I’d also like an easier way to update and add information like release dates and web links of release date of DVDs and Blu-ray. Because I’ve noticed you guys not doing a good job of keeping up with the new releases of DVDs and Blu-ray for all anime .
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Thank you! Infinite scroll was so annoying.
Giolon
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:23 am Reply with quote
Thank you for all these options! Infinite scrolling is my most hated aspect of "modern" web design. It's awful, especially when websites still have crucial links at the bottom of their page and you can never actually get there. I also really appreciate being able to set preferences per device so I can finally just turn off "PG-13 skins" while I'm at work but not at home.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:33 am Reply with quote
Currently it seems like the text width affects everything including the forums. Is it possible to separate the forum width from the article wdith?

100 chars is just right for articles as it allows side bars to fit and some space on the side for the ANN ad skin on desktop. But 100 text width is too small for the forums with the sidebar minimized.

Is it possible to browse the forums with the sidebar minimized in the forums but have it be available on all other pages?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:29 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
100 chars is just right for articles as it allows side bars to fit and some space on the side for the ANN ad skin on desktop. But 100 text width is too small for the forums with the sidebar minimized.
This is a bug, I'll ask Dan to fix it.

Quote:
Is it possible to browse the forums with the sidebar minimized in the forums but have it be available on all other pages?
This is a good idea, but unless it's a really quick job, we'll have to add it to the to-do list and add this feature next time we're adding to the options tab.
dragonmastr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Thank God there's a way to disable infinite scroll, the most annoying and useless "feature" in existance. Too bad it's not disabled by default so I'll have to disable it every time I browse this site since I have my browser clear its cookies every time that it closes.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:07 pm Reply with quote
dragonmastr wrote:
I'll have to disable it every time I browse this site since I have my browser clear its cookies every time that it closes.

If you save the settings after you login, they'll be saved to your profile and should stick with you as soon as you login.
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:08 pm Reply with quote
The website is usable again! Infinite scrolling is a sin. Now if only there was an option to disable the useless Indonesian, Singaporean and whatever other Asian country related news there are out there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2