• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Star Wars: Resistance Animated Series' Trailer Reveals October 7 Premiere

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:34 am Reply with quote

I knew that the animation was going to be bad but still I did not expect it to be this bad!
Azza Murphy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:26 am Reply with quote
at least this has got one thing going for it. it has the most disliked on a star wars video uploaded within a day Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:34 am Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
I knew that the animation was going to be bad but still I did not expect it to be this bad!

Reminds me of that teenage Iron Man cartoon. I actually think this looks better than the previous CG shows, which looked way plastic-y and crude, though that's obviously not saying much.

RIP animation outside of Japan. Nothing but CG, CalArts, and Flash now.
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:11 am Reply with quote
The sad thing is that Disney/Lucasfilms absolutely has the budget to make this not CG, to get good quality drawn animation.

Or at the very least they could have made it non-crap CG.
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:36 am Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
The sad thing is that Disney/Lucasfilms absolutely has the budget to make this not CG, to get good quality drawn animation..

Like Forces of Destiny? Wink

I kid, but yes, it's amazing how one of the biggest franchises gets such bottom of the barrel treatment for animated projects.
rivnam

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:52 am Reply with quote
after fist of the blue sky this is kind of a surprise. they sorted the frame rate out then prolly at Disney's behest to make the animation more palatable. Clone Wars was good so..... high hopes
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:54 am Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
AnimeLordLuis wrote:

Reminds me of that teenage Iron Man cartoon. I actually think this looks better than the previous CG shows, which looked way plastic-y and crude, though that's obviously not saying much.

RIP animation outside of Japan. Nothing but CG, CalArts, and Flash now.

You say that as if all the shows in the West crap. Star Wars: The Clone Wars for instance had amazing animation.

Ignoring the fact that your seriously using the CalArts stereotype which has been disapproven your ignoring that Japan isn’t exactly perfect when it comes to animations themselves.

Now who regularly hires Polygon Studios to make a lot of CG anime?
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:56 am Reply with quote
Reminds me of French CG cartoons, like Skyland or Iron Man: Armored Adventures.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:46 am Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
You say that as if all the shows in the West crap. Star Wars: The Clone Wars for instance had amazing animation.

Maybe the animation was fine, but I found the art and character designs way too ugly.

Quote:
Now who regularly hires Polygon Studios to make a lot of CG anime?

CG anime isn't exactly popular. People ruthlessly mocked Berserk, SnK: ReGenesis and similar shows. Of course anime isn't perfect, but the mass majority of projects are still nice looking 2D animation.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:46 am Reply with quote
I absolutely love the animation in The Clone Wars and Rebels. The further those shows got, all the more amazing the animation got. I like that kind CG animation. You know, with a normal acceptable framerate.

This... well, the trailer definitely doesn't look very good. When I heard Polygon was doing the animation I was already scared to death for this. I cannot take that studio seriously in the slightest, I'm sorry.
I don't want to pre-judge TOO much though, perhaps the animation looks better in action (as in, a full episode) but... I don't have high hopes tbh.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
anime_layer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:46 am Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:

I assume you mean the aesthetics? Because the actual animation looks totally fine to me. The 3D rendering on the hand could be much better.

Galap wrote:
The sad thing is that Disney/Lucasfilms absolutely has the budget to make this not CG, to get good quality drawn animation.

I doubt this is any cheaper than if it had been made as a 2D animated series. Money is rarely the deciding factor for producers to choose 3D.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:23 am Reply with quote
The animation looks fine in my opinion, I actually enjoyed some of Polygon Pictures previous works like Ajin. The only complain I have is that everything looks "too clean", and as some other comments pointed out, the visual style reminds me of Skyland and Iron Man Armored Adventures. It doesn't look "anime influenced" as they said in the press release.
Now speaking about the show itself, I hope they don't try rely too much in the original trilogy concepts, at least the ships in the video aren't X-Wings and Tie-Fighters, but if it weren't for the appearance of BB-8, Poe Dameron and some stormtroopers, this could be a generic sci-fi cartoon.
Also, I wish they wouldn't explain the backstory of the First Order, Snoke and the Resistance in this show. The new trilogy didn't explain a lot, but if viewers have to watch a show to understand what happened in a movie, that's not good storytelling.
Mhora

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:39 am Reply with quote
The animation might be moving pretty well, but the character designs and style is butt-ugly. They look like cardboard cutouts. Flat. Lifeless.
povsuduvolosy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Looks horrible, star wars 30 years later with anime. Imagine AIC did it back then!
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a Star Wars fan in any sense of the word, but I think the animation is great as with other Polygon Pictures creations. I like the character designs too.

As for the CG, it ain't bad, I could get used to it.

I don't know why anime fans have an aversion to CGI (or other styles like stop-motion, and rotoscoping), I think it's stupid.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3