• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Conan O'Brien Heads to Japan to Claim His Detective Conan Royalties

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gamlin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:00 pm Reply with quote
O Brien is basically the Black Organization as to Aoyama is to Conan. He won't win this case especially when Japan can roast his ass in court.
stannisbaratheon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:11 pm Reply with quote
The Conan in (Country) sketches should be like 4 episodes long, Conan underestimates the value of the authentic behind the scenes stuff we all like watching and seeing
varmintx

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Gamlin wrote:
O Brien is basically the Black Organization as to Aoyama is to Conan. He won't win this case especially when Japan can roast his ass in court.

...okey dokey.
Corfish

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Gamlin wrote:

I can't tell if you're joking or not lol. On the chance that you are serious, this is a publicity stunt. The town will get a tourism boost thanks to these segments, and Conan is getting an audience boost because anime nerds want to see what's going to happen. Basically it's all a joke.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:22 pm Reply with quote
LOL, this is going to be so epic. I'll be looking forward to next week.

Corfish wrote:
I can't tell if you're joking or not lol. On the chance that you are serious, this is a publicity stunt. The town will get a tourism boost thanks to these segments, and Conan is getting an audience boost because anime nerds want to see what's going to happen. Basically it's all a joke.

This. Laughing
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Okay... that Mayor... he is awesome! It's great he's up for this... got to love it when people like this are having fun with the joke.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:04 am Reply with quote
Gamlin wrote:

Look, up in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane! No, it's a joke flying right over your head!

Parrad11

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:19 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Gamlin wrote:

Look, up in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane! No, it's a joke flying right over your head!

To be fair, people outside of the US probably don't know who this talk show host actually is, and the article only reveals it's a joke in the last half of the article.

It's a lot of text to read esp. when there is a video embedded too.

At least that was the case for me.
Levonr

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:01 am Reply with quote
Parrad11 wrote:

To be fair, people outside of the US probably don't know who this talk show host actually is, and the article only reveals it's a joke in the last half of the article.

It's a lot of text to read esp. when there is a video embedded too.

At least that was the case for me.

The article starts out with "Late night talk show host Conan O'Brien is continuing is crusade to get his 3 trillion yen (US$27 billion) in royalties from Detective Conan creator". It should be obvious its a joke. Its a comedian demanding $27 billion...
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:31 am Reply with quote
Man, the mayor's retort is world-class. 15k hamburgers... I dig that! Laughing Laughing Laughing
joe_g7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:03 am Reply with quote
This is gonna be fun lol
Parrad11

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:39 am Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:

The article starts out with "Late night talk show host Conan O'Brien is continuing is crusade to get his 3 trillion yen (US$27 billion) in royalties from Detective Conan creator". It should be obvious its a joke. Its a comedian demanding $27 billion...

In this day and age, that sort of thing isn't all that too unbelievable sadly. There are stories all the time of people or companies trying to get large sums of money off other people or companies.

Without having heard about who Conan O'Brien is and what he does (beyond being the host on some late night talk show), it just becomes: TV personality wants 3 trillion yen. It's mentioned that it's a joke towards the end of the article, but that requires people reading more than just the article headline and the first paragraph…
InimitableUman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:55 am Reply with quote
Since this is ending in a trip, I think that this whole thing was probably set up by Conan and Conan-town or Japan itself as a fun way to announce Conan's trip. Doesn't make it any less funny or cool that he's doing, I just doubt this whole joking back-and-forth wasn't set up.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:06 am Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:

You act like Conan (O'Brien) hasn't done stuff like that before seriously.
Levonr

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:08 am Reply with quote
Parrad11 wrote:
it just becomes: TV personality wants 3 trillion yen. It's mentioned that it's a joke towards the end of the article, but that requires people reading more than just the article headline and the first paragraph…

I guess it requires common sense that "3 trillion yen (US$27 billion)" is so extremely over the top that it can't be real.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3