• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: So I'm a Spider, So What? Novel 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merxamers

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:37 pm Reply with quote
I liked this volume a lot, as well. Like the reviewer, this is the first volume in the series where Shun's chapters interested me as much as the spiders. Things get pretty darn desperate for Shun, and even as strong as he is, i don't see how he can clear it up easily.

This volume really shows the author's skill, too. There is so much foreshadowing, subtle hints and teases, and other tantalizing glimpses at what's really going on in this world; it's impressive to see, and honestly gripping reading. This should be a strong anime, if the studio can do these books any justice.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Continuing a great series. Fingers crossed hoping our spider lady doesn't turn evil in future volumes.
linkhuesitos15

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:12 pm Reply with quote
As an answer to the writer some people can call this spoiler (it's not really that big)

spoiler[On the next volume or maybe the first half of volume 5 the power level keeps static until volume 7, also the power celling is already defined as the administrators (even on the WN there's nothing above them)]

TarsTarkas wrote:
Fingers crossed hoping our spider lady doesn't turn evil in future volumes.

Not really an spoiler but just in case
spoiler[That depends on what you call evil]
Sulfy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I definitely should be picking up vol 1 soon, as it sounds like a pretty solid series. The one thing that gave me a pause is the line about Shun's former male friend, specifically this one in the review.

Quote:
While that could easily have been intended as a perfectly innocent character development device, the way it happens opens up all sorts of potential interpretations involving a statement being made about gender identity.

Seriously? The character is a girl now so she (I'm assuming she's identifying with that pronoun) has to come to terms with being attracted to guys? I'm hoping that it's handled with the appropriate finesse in the novel and not...well, that particular can of worms.
linkhuesitos15

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Sulfy wrote:

Seriously? The character is a girl now so she has to come to terms with being attracted to guys? I'm hoping that it's handled with the appropriate finesse in the novel and not...well, that particular can of worms.

Fun fact with spoiler (very very minor)
spoiler[At some point of the novel implies that Oshima Kanata (Katia) was in fact gay before the reincarnation hence why he was reincarnated as a woman]
Sulfy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:47 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[At some point of the novel implies that Oshima Kanata (Katia) was in fact gay before the reincarnation hence why he was reincarnated as a woman][/quote]

That...raises the possibility of another can of worms, but could also be done with some finesse. Thanks for the insight.

In any case, gonna pick up vol 1 later, thanks for the reviews Key.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:50 pm Reply with quote
linkhuesitos15 wrote:

spoiler[At some point of the novel implies that Oshima Kanata (Katia) was in fact gay before the reincarnation hence why he was reincarnated as a woman]

I don't recall anything like that in the third book. My read was that spoiler[Katia's brain is wired to find guys attractive, and that overpowers their memory of being a het dude in their previous life. Which makes sense if sexual orientation is a product of neurological structures. ]
gaptoothsailor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Yesssss! I bought the first two novels back in June and got super hooked once volume 3 came out. This is by far the most engaging isekai story I've had the privilege to read before an anime adaptation... Now I'm feeling starved because I think it's like four or five months in between releases?

I agree about Shun btw, and while Katia's subplot might be kinda weird to even address, I think it's being handled with more tact than I'd normally expect from media in general, much less JP media like a light novel... Needless to say I'm super excited to see Kumoko spoiler[venture outside the labyrinth, and who exactly she's gonna be in that Demon Lord's circle, since I feel like her being the *actual* DK might be a red herring..].

Either way though, I wanna echo everyone's thoughts that the plotting and foreshadowing in this story w/r/t the time difference in POVs is freakin' awesome and knowing that there's tons more content not just in webnovel form but already published in LN form... whew! I'm set for the next year or two for whenever Yen Press brings this out lol
trilaan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:51 am Reply with quote
I finally realized while reading this volume that the letters at the beginning of each chapter indicate which character perspective you'll be reading. I'm a little slow, I guess. Yup, disparate time periods have made the story line quite a bit more interesting. I cannot wait to find out what happens to our beloved spider friend(enemy?).
linkhuesitos15

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:39 am Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:

I don't recall anything like that in the third book. My read was that spoiler[Katia's brain is wired to find guys attractive, and that overpowers their memory of being a het dude in their previous life. Which makes sense if sexual orientation is a product of neurological structures. ]

It's from the Web Novel way more advanced than this point, and what you say it's half true.
The novel explain that in fact the soul tries to adapt to the body but sometimes doesn't works, you can see this with my last comment and spoiler[Kumo losing empathy and human morals (merciless tittle also helped).]
SPOILER from volume 4
spoiler[later is reveled that everyone was reicarnated by D, she even decided on what species they will reincarnate D found that Kanata may be gay and reincarnate him as a woman (in short D just wanted to have fun messing with some of their lives).]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1