• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games: A Tiny Little Playstation

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:13 pm Reply with quote
So, Yugi Mutou to appear in Jump Force that is associated with Konami is more resemblance to the Serbian Super Smash Bros, whose SSSB isn't popular in Serbia, but Bandai stuff is being huge there, because Serbian broadcasted Digimon in Serbia back in 2001 and many of the Serbians reporters often viewed as an "Serbian Pokemon" and as "Serbian Nintendo".

(sorry for my poor English)
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:14 pm Reply with quote
That PS mini quickly lost appeal for me. I can't play the discs I already have on it, the controllers don't have analog sticks, and I'm hoping it's just something that they didn't think was necessary to put in the promotional material, but the pictures of the hardware doesn't include an AC adapter or power cord.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Never did get a chance to play Resonance of Fate, though I did get to know the main trio through both Project X Zones. I should consider getting it, along with Last Remnant possibly.
Raikuro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:20 pm Reply with quote
yeah that PSOne mini seems to only be for the extremely uninitiated of PS fans. Could already just get a PSTV and have access to a lot more cheap PSOne classics from PSN, on a not so shitty controller. Maybe the PSTV could have had a lot more success if it was just shaped like a PSOne and marketed slightly differently lol
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Its also got a cool ad.

I had no idea until now that Captain Commando was a time-traveling kidnapper, and kind of a dick.
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:34 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Never did get a chance to play Resonance of Fate, though I did get to know the main trio through both Project X Zones. I should consider getting it, along with Last Remnant possibly.

It was definately one of the best RPGs of the generation.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:38 pm Reply with quote
-Playstation Classic: Yeah, I don't know what to think of this either, especially since Sony's 1st party library at the time was nothing to write home about (and arguably I would say their stuff is still a bit underwhelming). At the least I'm going to wait and see what the full lineup is.

-Jump Force: This reminds me of that realistic textures version of Mario. It just looks WEIRD

-RoE: Yeah, this was surprising. It's actually kinda weird how much the main trio stuck around, even showing up in Project X Zone.

As for other stuff:

-DMC5: Heh, Nero has a Mega Buster and Dante uses a demon's blades to shave (called it!). Also nice seeing Lady and Trish back. The only problem was Dante's battle theme SUCKS. And then it got pulled because of...well, things best talked about elsewhere.

-RE2 Remake: I swear, every time I see Ada I imagine Leon monologuing "I knew this broad was trouble the second I saw her" while jazz plays like out of a Humphrey Bogart film
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:55 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
-RoE: Yeah, this was surprising. It's actually kinda weird how much the main trio stuck around, even showing up in Project X Zone.

And having some of the most hilarious pre and post battle chats. XD

Vashyron: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dsSyMGtUFoA

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Mmn9IQ5Hzak

Leanne: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5WRjnMni5Rg

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=98kjcxNT2z0
HK16

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:12 pm Reply with quote
I expected Yami Yugi to appear since the beginning since he's been in a Jump fighting game before. The thing is... since Jump Force is celebrating the 50th anniversary of Shonen Jump manga by using manga characters (not their anime counterparts unless it is manga canon sequel in anime form), I expected Yami Yugi's design to be his manga design, but as expected with this series called Yu-Gi-Oh!, they can never get right (due to laziness and inconsistency). Here, they use his anime design, which has his 3 colored hair style, his buckleless wristband and the anime version of the Battle City Duel Disk that split the board in half.

Quote:
Yeah, I know Senran Kagura's a boob game first and foremost, but the shift in tone from “soft and sweet interaction” to “vaguely orgasmic squealing in some crazy dress-up roleplay touch fantasy” is almost comically jarring. And boy oh boy, does the repetitive massaging get old fast.

The moment when I stopped giving the game the “okay, maybe it's just not for me” treatment was when, out of nowhere, Asuka and I were in a thinly-veiled brother/sister relationship fantasy where simple headpats quickly became something deeply uncomfortable. HONK HONK WE'RE ON THE ROAD TO NOPESVILLE, TIME TO TURN THIS THING AROUND AND HEAD BACK TO WINNIPEG

So anyway. Senran Kagura Reflexions: it's lousy.

When the uncultured play a cultured game. The usual response. smh

Btw, End of Eternity (Resonance of Fate) is a cultured game as shown in the recent TGS cutscene/gameplay video. Just a heads up.

https://youtu.be/4tLIloBARgo
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I want EDF Iron Rain, too bad the conference was kinda marred by not one but seemingly 3 interpreters that either broke under pressure, couldn't keep up, or both (I didn't need them, but my god it's was jarring nonetheless). The game looks great, the story seems decent so far, plays great, I like the new creatures (that wolf spider is going to be a pain), and would provide good replay value if it has enough missions like the 110 missions EDF 5 has.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:33 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

It has the most convoluted overdesigned combat system ever designed, maybe you'll like it (some people love it) but it's kinda of a giant dumbster fire that the producer just saw and went "Ehhhh this is fine" and just shipped it.

The tutorial for basic combat is something like 20 page long, it has all kinds of weird terminology and involved some weird concept (shooting someone standing compared to moving use completely different mechanic). The crafting system is also ridiculous, like "make a gun with 27 barrels and 12 clips along with 8 scopes" kind of deal (there not represented in gameplay sadly).

Story has interesting setting but is kinda shit tbh.

It's not a terrible game but it desperately needed some trimming and streamlining. It lack dept for it's unbelievable complexity.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You've probably already noticed, however, that the controllers don't have the dual-analog sticks that became standard around 1998 or so. It's a bit of a puzzling omission,

Less so when you remember the Dualshock 1 wasn't the original controller the system dropped with.

Raikuro wrote:
yeah that PSOne mini seems to only be for the extremely uninitiated of PS fans. Could already just get a PSTV and have access to a lot more cheap PSOne classics from PSN,

Yeah too bad the PSTV can only be got via the secondhand market and was chiefly designed to play Vita games.

HK16 wrote:
I expected Yami Yugi's design to be his manga design, but as expected with this series called Yu-Gi-Oh!, they can never get right (due to laziness and inconsistency). Here, they use his anime design, which has his 3 colored hair style, his buckleless wristband and the anime version of the Battle City Duel Disk that split the board in half.

Yes they used the anime design because the anime is more well known and popular than the manga.

HK16 wrote:

When the uncultured play a cultured game. The usual response. smh

Which is funny because the Senran Kagura games for all the eccentricies they have don't have the awkward elements that Heidi is noping at so yeah. Plus these games don't work as standalone visual novels anyway.

Quote:
Meanwhile, there still isn't a N64 Classic or a Saturn Mini (which is perhaps our last hope for an affordable Panzer Dragoon Saga re-release) but given the way things are going I'd expect to see those within a year.

Yeah you might wanna put out that torch you're holding for a Saturn emulator/rerelease. As being a Sega fan you should be very familiar with why virtually none of the games even ports such as Sonic 3D Blast and Megaman 8 have ever been rereleased.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:01 pm Reply with quote
There are actually half-decent Saturn emulators out there.
One of the the things being peddled now are affordable PCI graphic cards that give even slower PC's greater ability to use emulators to play Dreamcast and Saturn games.
There's a video about this on YouTube but I suppose if you have an i7 and 1060-class Nvidia card you're probably okay power-wise on the PC!
The emulators will have to be developed because the original game systems ARE dying. The CD drives will wear out and they never made it easy for people to take apart these systems and replace the CD-ROM drives!
I did a drive swap with my first PS1 after the original drive wore out but the problem with that system was that the heat issues eventually did in other components of the PS1. It did a job on my MJPEG decoder and after about another year after I swapped out the drive it was just not worth it. It was toasted. The only reason my first-gen PS3 still works it because I bought an external fan to drive out the excessive interior heat. They fixed that issue on later production PS3's but you either have to swap out the power supply or stick with an external to keep a first-gen PS3 running.
It's still a matter of time when any of these things break. Either the motor will give our of the laser lens will get damaged. (I've had BOTH happen with CD-drive systems.) That is the problem with CD-ROM systems. There are many Atari 2600's and Magnavox game systems from the 1970s which still work. Solid state generally has the edge in durability because of the lack of moving parts. The biggest concerns there are keeping dust out of the cartridge slots. That can cause "snow flakes" to appear on TV screens.

Right now, on the Saturn front, there's a UK engineer working on developing a USB stick-loading system to allow you to keep your original system and still use the main system base. He's trying to make it as easy as possible for an average person to keep the bulk of their original hardware. You would have to remove the CD-ROM but the rest of the system would stay in place and you would load ripped games through a USB drive. He's gotten the prototype board to work fairly well off the existing hardware.
The problem with the replacement board is that the games won't load faster. If you try to "overclock" the loading, the whole thing crashes but the point is you keep the majority of the hardware and can still use your controllers through the system base.
The Saturn was over-engineered but 24 years later that may pay off in a second life for the ORIGINAL system hardware.
On the PC front, the Saturn emulators are more stable now and if you have a decently powerful system a few of them can run the emu's fairly well even playing off original game discs on the PC.
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:02 pm Reply with quote
End of Eternity is easily one of my favorite RPGs from last gen. The storytelling could get a bit messy but the story itself was very good, the gameplay was incredibly fun and that clockwork punk aesthetic was killer. It was a shame that it didn't really sell that well, it'd be awesome to have other games like that. In a sense, it feels like Nier if Nier: Automata had never come around to fulfill the first one's promise.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1