• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Devilman

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slowzhand

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:35 am Reply with quote
FYI - Subtitled version of Pop Team Epic may also be streamed at HIDIVE
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:50 am Reply with quote
I also showed Anohana to my mom, and she really liked it.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:55 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It runs through the origin story of how Ryo talks Akira into fusing with a demon, and this amounts to a lot of exposition that a modern retelling might speed through in half the time.

So, in other words, it's 100% accurate to the first volume of the original manga, because that's literally what the large majority of Devilman started off with: A crap ton of exposition. Admittedly, you couldn't get away with that nowadays, as indicated in the review, but it is amusing that by being so exposition-heavy, the OVA is actually completely accurate to how Go Nagai started off his manga.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:06 pm Reply with quote
FINALLY got my copy of Devilman OVA DVD. I didn't even wait. Even after sooo many years this film still holds up. It's dated but the animation work was excellent for the 90's era.

I remember when I first saw the 2nd Devilman OVA with many older anime friends. They were big Go Nagai fans. Most people liked the first movie but it wasn't considered the best, but still appreciated. By the time the second film came out you could see the amount of care put in making it the best of the two. It is definitely the better of the two and worth the purchase to grace their shelves to anyone who collects older anime and Go Nagai fans. Plus, as Go Nagai stated in an interview that Siren was considered his favorite creation of his works. So this portion of the story has always been pivotal no matter who interprets it. I will say that Yuasa did his dues with his new take on the franchise and I will buy it when that's ever released.

I would've owned this series a long time ago if Manga hadn't messed up their releases where they released certain films on DVD dubbed only but had dubbed and subbed VHS tapes. I never quite understood why they did their releases like that and I considered
they way they managed these releases to be quite asinine. That was the one big gripe I held against them for years. Because I could never own any proper DVD release from them. And even after they got it right, the Devilman OVAs were still an unresolved issue that never saw a proper released UNTIL NOW. That was my biggest gripe and disappointment with Manga Entertainment for YEARS. But it's all over and I finally have my copy so now I'm happy.
RenRen94

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:20 pm Reply with quote
For people interested in watching ALL 4 Free! movies, including the Timeless Medley compilation movies, the only way to do this is to buy the movie collection set. As of right now, there isn't an individual release for the Timeless Medley movies like the other 2. IMO, there are extra scenes in them that make it worth the purchase, especially the beginnings of both.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:51 pm Reply with quote
It's always fun to see a Shelf Obsessed where somebody has the same release of a series that I do. I've thought about alphabetizing for organization purposes, but I buy things often enough that I'd have to move things around fairly often, and a lot of where things end up is dictated by what fits on the shelf more than anything.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:00 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the second Devilman OVA, the water battle in the house was really good. The first OVA though was really boring, it was mostly dry exposition. I didn't get why the OVA didn't update it, large exposition may of been fine for the early 70s, but in the then modern era, it was sort of lazy.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:46 pm Reply with quote
They certain wasted no time in bringing Pop Team Epic onto Blu-ray. A physical release occurring before the iron has fully cooled must seem like an oddity to all but the youngest of fans.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
russ869

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:16 pm Reply with quote
What exactly is an "outdated plot point?" I understand how animation or music can be "dated," but story writing is usually pretty timeless unless its themes are inherently specific to certain real life social events.

Also, I don't know what you guys are talking about. The first OVA episode is way better than the second. All that suspenseful stuff before Akira becomes Devilman is fantastic.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:10 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Quote:
It runs through the origin story of how Ryo talks Akira into fusing with a demon, and this amounts to a lot of exposition that a modern retelling might speed through in half the time.

So, in other words, it's 100% accurate to the first volume of the original manga, because that's literally what the large majority of Devilman started off with: A crap ton of exposition. Admittedly, you couldn't get away with that nowadays, as indicated in the review, but it is amusing that by being so exposition-heavy, the OVA is actually completely accurate to how Go Nagai started off his manga.

the real MO of this ova is that it was one of the more infamous anime of the 80's & 90's where the western audiences would classify anime as a whole as not for kids and you cant blame those people considering that it had a lot of outrageous anime back them. from ninja scroll, ghost in the shell & guyver to akira & vampire hunter D ,even mad bull 34 and even the ero ova urotsukidoji, their the primary reasons why the devilman ovas aren't as well known as the other "bad anime" (AND i don't mean their literately bad. i mean by their anime in which where NO parent would ever show to their kids) of the 80's & 90's!!!

Quote:
This release from Discotek Media includes an old English dub, which appears to date back to the mid-90s and plays pretty fast and loose with the dialogue. Unless you're holding on to nostalgic memories of the cheesy dubs of yesteryear, I'd go with the subtitled Japanese audio on this one.

i wouldn't go that far. all of the dub done by manga ent stood to the testament of time as classics. there are even fans that still to this say watch the dub versions of mad bull 34 , guyver and genocyber!!! sure its aged, but i definitely wouldn't call it "the cheesy dubs of yesteryear!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Merxamers

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:20 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
It's always fun to see a Shelf Obsessed where somebody has the same release of a series that I do. I've thought about alphabetizing for organization purposes, but I buy things often enough that I'd have to move things around fairly often, and a lot of where things end up is dictated by what fits on the shelf more than anything.

I'm in a similar boat; i'd love to organize my discs alphabetically/by genre, but i mostly have to organize them by weight, lol (those heavy special editions have to go on the bottom!)

Nice collection! Nice to see your edition of one of the best anime ever made, Married With Children
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:01 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
They certain wasted no time in bringing Pop Team Epic onto Blu-ray. A physical release occurring before the iron has fully cooled must seem like an oddity to all but the youngest of fans.

I've been surprised a few times now by titles releasing less than a year after streaming. I suppose it makes sense since outside of major changes, the dub is already done, so there isn't much point in waiting unless the licensor has a required waiting period.
Levonr

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:21 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:

i wouldn't go that far. all of the dub done by manga ent stood to the testament of time as classics. there are even fans that still to this say watch the dub versions of mad bull 34 , guyver and genocyber!!! sure its aged, but i definitely wouldn't call it "the cheesy dubs of yesteryear!"

If this isn't a cheesy dub of yesteryear then what is? This dub has always been infamously so bad its good. The dub is entertaining and has fans for the same reason the movie Troll II does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubSdfYqCgK8
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1