• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Studio Production IMS Files for Bankruptcy

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mhora

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:34 am Reply with quote
Too bad. I actually really enjoyed Takunomi earlier this year. Young adults, work life and alcohol. <3
Azza Murphy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:35 am Reply with quote
Well shit there goes High school fleet shit shit shit I hope someone picks this up and continues it Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:45 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Later in December, animator Teru Miyazaki posted but deleted a complaint on Twitter that an anime studio he implied was Production IMS was not paying its animators.

I wonder if there was any truth to that deleted complaint. It's always a shame when a studio is going bankrupt and has to shut down.

Last edited by belvadeer on Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:45 am Reply with quote
That's too bad. I was hoping that they could make it work after this came up a few months ago.
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:51 am Reply with quote
High school fleet did very well in disc and merchandise sales, I wonder why they couldn't push that franchise, not sure about their backgrounds and rights.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:52 am Reply with quote
Azza Murphy wrote:
Well shit there goes High school fleet shit shit shit I hope someone picks this up and continues it Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

A-1 Pictures is making a anime movie of High School Fleet and Aniplex partnered with Wargaming in a smartphone game. If will be a new season, will probably come from A1/Aniplex depending if they got all the rights from Production IMS so you can have some hope.

HK16 wrote:
What is up with Date A Live and its studios? AIC did the first season then it switched to IMS. Now this is happening to IMS.
This is probably the reason there is no date so far on the new season.
Kadokawa will have to find a new studio to make the third season.

Last edited by Jonny Mendes on Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
HK16

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:02 pm Reply with quote
What is up with Date A Live and its studios? AIC did the first season then it switched to IMS. Now this is happening to IMS.
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:41 pm Reply with quote
With so many new studios popping up nowadays. There are bound to be a good few that don't survive.

While I enjoyed a few of there shows (Inori Kon, Date A Live II) there output isn't exactly top quality IMO.
Violynne

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Escaflowne2001 wrote:
With so many new studios popping up nowadays. There are bound to be a good few that don't survive.

It's like it's 1996 all over again.

Which means... oh dear.
Double Mangekyo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:12 pm Reply with quote
I'll always be thankful to IMS for adapting Ore, Twintail ni Narimasu. (Gonna be the Twin-Tail!!).
Here's hoping their animators find success in another studio.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:06 am Reply with quote
Sunny milk wrote:
High school fleet did very well in disc and merchandise sales, I wonder why they couldn't push that franchise, not sure about their backgrounds and rights.

The studio gets paid a fixed amount upfront and the production committee holds the rights. Since the producers raised the money to pay the studio, they get to keep the profits and royalties. Rarely is a studio one of the producers of a show, although that is increasing for major established studios, not for the tons of small studios like Production IMS. Usually it's for originals, but apparently even for High School Fleet, they were not on the committee:
anime#17584
Production:
Aniplex
Asmik Ace, Inc.
Nippon BS Broadcasting Corporation
Contents Seed
Cromea
Kadokawa

I guess they low-balled on most of their bids just to get the contracts and took on debt in order to compensate for the low-balling.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:22 am Reply with quote
Darn. Kinda guessed this was happening, but still stings.
Some of the animation they made were really impressive.
Ali07

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:58 am Reply with quote
Does this kill the chance of Date A Live III? Or is my mind playing games and there isn't going to be a third season.

I'll always be thankful for Inari Kon Kon. Really enjoyed Touka and Uka-sama. Wish the manga was licensed for print in English, as this anime won't be getting a second season.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Sorry to hear that and hope the animators get their pay and are able to find work/stability elsewhere. I really enjoyed Hundred and the look of their other series, and ways always keeping an eye out to see what their next projects would be.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Randomuser

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Welp RIP Production IMS.
Let's just hope DAL 3 will switch production studio's instead of dying with IMS
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2