• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Catching Up With Fairy Tail

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Catsplay

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm disappointed there was no character bio for Wendy considering she becomes the 5th member of Team Natsu (the third main female character) and is even referred to several times in this guide to the series (meaning people reading the guide won't know why Wendy actually matters despite several mentions). Other then leaving her out this was a really good guide and it's great to see a lot of the reasons why I like the series available in a guide like this to get people caught up/interested in the series.
immblueversion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:01 pm Reply with quote
A few corrections:

First, the manga is 63 volumes long, not 64.

Second, Zeref wasn't the one manipulating Jellal, but rather Ultear pretending to be Zeref, all while the real Zeref was simply hiding from human civilization and doing his best to mind his own business while the world cursed and rejected him for reasons beyond his control.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Catsplay wrote:
I'm disappointed there was no character bio for Wendy considering she becomes the 5th member of Team Natsu (the third main female character) and is even referred to several times in this guide to the series (meaning people reading the guide won't know why Wendy actually matters despite several mentions).

I really struggled with whether or not to include her separately, but I decided not to because of, well, space and the fact that this got very out of hand as I was writing it. Sad
Catsplay

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Catsplay wrote:
I'm disappointed there was no character bio for Wendy considering she becomes the 5th member of Team Natsu (the third main female character) and is even referred to several times in this guide to the series (meaning people reading the guide won't know why Wendy actually matters despite several mentions).

I really struggled with whether or not to include her separately, but I decided not to because of, well, space and the fact that this got very out of hand as I was writing it. Sad

That's a shame but if it was because of space reasons that's understandable. She's my absolute favorite part of Fairy Tail though and I think she's the character that gets the best character development out of the main characters, going from a weak little girl that can only heal to one of FT's front line fighters. I think she's just as important as the other mains but since she was introduced 5 story arcs in I can understand her being omitted. It's very rare to have young girl characters in shounen series be treated as well as Wendy was though and even be allowed to have one of the coolest transformations in the series (Dragon Force is great). It makes me want to watch a shounen series in the vein of Naruto but with a young female protagonist instead.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Catsplay wrote:
Princess_Irene wrote:

That's a shame but if it was because of space reasons that's understandable. She's my absolute favorite part of Fairy Tail though and I think she's the character that gets the best character development out of the main characters, going from a weak little girl that can only heal to one of FT's front line fighters. I think she's just as important as the other mains but since she was introduced 5 story arcs in I can understand her being omitted. It's very rare to have young girl characters in shounen series be treated as well as Wendy was though and even be allowed to have one of the coolest transformations in the series (Dragon Force is great). It makes me want to watch a shounen series in the vein of Naruto but with a young female protagonist instead.

if you though that was bad, considering that the author didn't even mentioned the edolas arc proves just how god awful it was. it was basically a fanservice arc! aka a reasonable excuse to bring back a character that was supposed to be dead! worse instead of having her being part of team natsu and a possible rival for lucy, she's got cast aside as a support character! and dont even make me start on her ending cause THAT alone got my blood boiling! i can get not having lisanna not being an item with her childhood friend and all, BUT THAT GUY!?

while the other arcs were good, by diehard fan standards, the edolas arc and the alvaraz arc are definitely the worst arcs of the whole series by fans & non fans alike, with the latter would have been considered the worst final arc for ANY anime series if it wasn't the disaster that was the ending for Bleach's thousand year blood war arc!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
immblueversion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Catsplay wrote:

Either way, even if we do tip a bit too strongly into the cynical mindset of what Mashima could've done, it's nice to see some focus on what people like about Fairy Tail.
immblueversion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:09 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
if you though that was bad, considering that the author didn't even mentioned the edolas arc proves just how god awful it was. it was basically a fanservice arc! aka a reasonable excuse to bring back a character that was supposed to be dead! worse instead of having her being part of team natsu and a possible rival for lucy, she's got cast aside as a support character! and dont even make me start on her ending cause THAT alone got my blood boiling! i can get not having lisanna not being an item with her childhood friend and all, BUT THAT GUY!?

That being said, I do get a personal little kick of all the ways the Edolas arc foreshadowed the climax of the story as a whole. Namely, spoiler[Happy and Carla's fake mission to "get sent to another dimension to kill Dragon Slayers" mirrors the Dragon Slayers' mission to "get sent through a time machine to kill Acnologia"; the fight between the DS's and a dragon mecha (which even turned black) mirrors the part about Acnologia himself; and of course there's the "Great Demon King" Natsu pretended to be...]
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Catsplay wrote:

Yeah, Wendy is awesome.
This is a great point. I agree her treatment and growth is great and I loved how she became one of their best front line fighters even though she started the story basically with just her healing magic.

And yeah, oh man her Dragon Force moment was glorious.
Against a seriously strong male opponent too. Like several of the other FT female fighters she wasn't relegated to just always only fighting the female member of the villain group.

I'd love to see that someday as well.
Soul Eater is probably the closest so far with Maka.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
seltzermx

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Was Natsu having a brother already mentioned in the Anime. Don't think I recall that at all??
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:04 pm Reply with quote
So I'm seeing a lot of stuff about family here but I'm pretty positive the real theme is that giant anime tits are aces and that pedos are pure evil.
gedata

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:49 pm Reply with quote
It should be amusing to see how fans of the anime take in the Alvarez. Easily the worst in a series that honestly was never truly good even at it's best.
Sakurazuka_Reika

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:47 pm Reply with quote
seltzermx wrote:
Was Natsu having a brother already mentioned in the Anime. Don't think I recall that at all??

No, I don't think so. I only follow the anime (the only thing I have not seen is the Dragon Cry Movie, which I am going to watch as soon as I finish writing this comment). When I read that Natsu has a brother I got confused and made the tragic mistake of googling it and got a major plot twist spoiled for me.

Oh well...
seltzermx

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Sakurazuka_Reika wrote:
seltzermx wrote:

No, I don't think so. I only follow the anime (the only thing I have not seen is the Dragon Cry Movie, which I am going to watch as soon as I finish writing this comment). When I read that Natsu has a brother I got confused and made the tragic mistake of googling it and got a major plot twist spoiled for me.

Oh well...

Yeah I didn't Google it... Glad to see the "catch up" post for the anime ruined upcoming stuff in the anime... Always welcome spoilers....

/s
Eddy564

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:38 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:

while the other arcs were good, by diehard fan standards, the edolas arc and the alvaraz arc are definitely the worst arcs of the whole series by fans & non fans alike, with the latter would have been considered the worst final arc for ANY anime series if it wasn't the disaster that was the ending for Bleach's thousand year blood war arc!!!

I agree. Bleach’s final arc and FT’s are definitely fighting for worst final arc of any Shonen. Definitely sad considering what both of those series used to be.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1