• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - The Fall of Man

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Mmmmmmaybe don't be so dismissive of Bloom Into You as just another soft-focus/love-bubbles yuri right off the bat? I happened to get into this manga a couple years ago when I started collecting Dengeki Daioh on business trips that let me visit SF's huge Kinokuniya, and I was lucky enough to catch its debut chapters. It's really not like most yuri once it gets rolling. Notably:
  • It's set in a co-ed school, unlike so many yuri where boys and men are effectively non-existent. That alone gives it a different feel.
  • There's a spoiler[same-sex adult role model couple: one of the teachers and a woman who owns a local coffee shop]. I don't think I've ever seen that in other yuri, and it's potentially a nice validation, hopefully ruling out the possibility that this is just a spoiler[Class S relationship / lesbians until graduation] thing.
  • By volume 5 of the manga, there's been a notable role reversal: spoiler[cool sempai Touko, who initiates the would-be relationship, is emotionally immature and somewhat damaged, obsessed with replacing her late older sister by sublimating her own identity. First-year protag Yuu is actually the more mature and sensible of the two.]

Strawberry Panic and Maria Watches Over Us, it ain't.

I don't want to sidetrack too badly into the discourse about whether Yuu is aro/ace, except to say it's non inconsistent with her character as established to this point, and that her inner struggle to figure out who she is and what she wants is the whole point of the story, so let's let the girl decide for herself before we insist that labels do or don't apply to her.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:57 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
[*]There's a spoiler[same-sex adult role model couple: one of the teachers and a woman who owns a local coffee shop]. I don't think I've ever seen that in other yuri, and it's potentially a nice validation, hopefully ruling out the possibility that this is just a spoiler[Class S relationship / lesbians until graduation] thing.

Just because it's in the source material doesn't mean it's going to make it into the anime, though. For instance, the Maria Watches Over Us light novels were filled with male characters (heck, there's a ten-volume spinoff series about the protagonist's younger brother), depictions of the openly-gay girl's college life, and an entire book devoted to the idea that two of the girls' mothers were "very close friends" who married each others' younger brothers -- who were also "very close friends" -- and then proceeded to merge their households together.

Much of that was largely excluded from the anime adaptation. Similarly, the anime version of Akuma no Riddle - which was one of those bizarre instances where the ending was a largely line-for-line adaptation of the manga's final chapters despite airing over two years before the manga finished serialization - omitted the part of the epilogue where one of the women comes out as a lesbian to her co-workers, and cut it in a way that saved maybe five seconds of the episode's overall run time. (I am willing to bet that someone with creative control was shown a scene where a spoiler[female construction worker] comes out to her male co-workers, and decided that the only important part of the scene was that she was a spoiler[female construction worker]).

Point is, I'm kind of wary.
SonicFanA

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:10 pm Reply with quote
If I had to pick my favorite skeleton in anime I would choose the Seven Ghosts from 07 Ghost specifically Frau.

Also thank you for not being harsh on DAKAICHI.
Never_Know_Best

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:56 am Reply with quote
Maan, no love for Brook?

As for seasonal anime, I doubt I’ll be checking out much besides more Jojo. Maybe something will (eventually) surprise me, but I’m already turning into one of those crotchety old “everything was better back in my day” fans at 26.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:02 am Reply with quote
So, according to Alicization and Ted Stevens, my soul is the internet? I guess that makes Comcast my brain...
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:43 am Reply with quote
I didn't think the plot to Karakuri Circus, at least thus far, was all that complicated.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see Jacob's back!

I'm probably going to keep watching Iroduku. It shares the same director as Lull in the Sea, which was another "very beautifully animated melodrama"-type show I actually didn't like for the first couple episodes, but ended up growing on me a lot as it went on. I feel like there's potentially a lot of promise there.

Hopefully Bloom Into You and/or Boarding School Juliet are nice, fun romances. The last one I watched was the super dull Tada-kun Never Falls In Love.

I'm not sure yet on Zombieland Saga. Maybe its going to have a bit more bite on the whole satire element of idol culture, maybe not.

SSSS. Gridman looks great and had a nice, slow-paced premiere. I don't watch really any tokusatsu shows, but the first episode definitely interested me. Also glad to see Funimation going for a same-day simuldub for this since MHA has ended.

Reincarnated as a Slime kind of lost me with the overbearing mechanics, but the characters were pretty cute. Probably won't keep watching it, but watching one episode didn't feel like a waste of time or anything.
NickPenrhyn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:08 pm Reply with quote
I know the big bad in Double Decker's "Your Rival" episode was spoiler[the union head Harry, but wasn't he also just posturing, hiding his wealth and corrupt for working with the foreman Tommy to help The Bamboo Man? Doug points out Harry's hypocrisy where 'he could buy a year's worth of new socks with that thing', referencing the other union worker who was poor and couldn't afford socks for his daughter. I don't know, I disagree that it was villainizing the whole union when it showed the union cleaning up the aftermath like that.] I definitely understand and I shared the concern based on how Doug and Kirill's dynamic is framed thus far but it's getting a bit ahead of the show to say it has the shitty opinion of unions I think is being alluded.
leongsh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Re: Thunderbolt Fantasy. The names are Chinese, not Thai. The main production company for this puppet-based show is Taiwanese. This is puppet style Wuxia (Chinese martial arts fantasy/fiction).
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm so glad you guys thought the fluctlight thing from SAO is as dumb as I did.
zrdb

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I'd really have to disagree with the expressed opinion of A Certain Magical Index/A Certain Scientific Railgun. I really enjoyed these so I was very happy when I heard they were coming back after 8 years. I guess everybody is entitles to their own opinion, that's what makes the world interesting.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Surprised the reviewers disliked Radiant's OP so much.

It seems like standard shonen, sure, but I thought it seemed like more fun than, say, Naruto's opening episode, and the comparison to Black Clover seemed kind've ridiculous. Black Clover is pretty friggin' terrible; I would be shocked to hear a good argument for how Radiant's first episode is worse than where Black Clover's anime has leveled out.

EDIT: I kind've agree on A Certain Magical Index. I was looking forward to it, but I've been pretty disappointed. I also re-watched the earlier seasons in the last year; I was not that impressed with the Magical Index side. The 'science' side seemed more coherent and engaging on the whole. The 'magic' side of this series, to me, seems like a fun premise with great art that I want to love, but every time I watch it the stories seem poorly told and the characters theadbare.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1