• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Satoko and Nada GN 1

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:27 pm Reply with quote
The previous thread got hijacked, this is a new one. We'll be keeping a close eye on it.

Please remember to read The Rules before participating in our forums.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I'm surprised that a Japanese author got so much of Saudi Arabian culture right, given how anime and manga tend to fall back on heavy stereotypes when it comes to depicting non-Japanese cultures (which I'm actually fairly forgiving of in most cases, given how deeply homogenous Japan as a whole is).

Also, a touch off-topic, but watching the superhero web series Emara was enlightening for me in seeing just how many different approaches women take when it comes to wearing and/or styling their hijab. I know in the US we have a tendency to stereotype the hijab as a monotonous, flat form of fashion, but it seems like, in places where hijab-wearing is the norm, that idea is smashed by the realities of a hijab-wearing life.

Last edited by whiskeyii on Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaskOfBrutality

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:48 pm Reply with quote
So I can't tell from the review but is the art in any way like the covert art? Because that is off putting. It says in the review the art isn't great but doesn't really elaborate.

That aside I find it an interesting release, not one I'll be reading because of the subject matter but interesting that this can be released nowadays considering how niche it is.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:00 pm Reply with quote
As an immigrant currently living in Oman, which is located in Middle East, and learned a whole lot of Islamic culture that's unique in there, I'm pleased to see that this exists from the Japanese.

Hope it can get some sort of adaptation so I can enjoy it more. Very Happy
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:01 pm Reply with quote
MaskOfBrutality wrote:
So I can't tell from the review but is the art in any way like the covert art? Because that is off putting. It says in the review the art isn't great but doesn't really elaborate.

The cover seems to be a good representation of the manga's artwork, for better or worse. Googling the author's (pen?) name leads to some pages in Google Images.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:10 pm Reply with quote
MaskOfBrutality wrote:

The interior art has a better grasp of details than the cover does - Yupechika's not a particularly skilled artist, but the black-and-white is definitely better. This isn't an art style that gets brought over very often; I've mostly seen it in gag manga.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:07 pm Reply with quote
There's an offhand reference to kosher food on one page (I think as a substitute for halal?), which I liked because it's the most Jewishness I've ever seen in Japanese fiction.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:18 pm Reply with quote
About the artwork--
It really works. The simple lines really work, and the characters' gestures and facial expressions are very charming. While not as detailed, I would compare them to the style of Natsume Ono.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:33 pm Reply with quote
This looks interesting. I'd love to read it. I hope it does well.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:40 pm Reply with quote
The artwork feels more like something from a webcomic than a traditional manga, but in I mean that in a good way. The simpler style gives it the feeling of a diary comic, something written and drawn in the moment, which helps underscore the slice of life feel of the manga.

If you're used to the more elaborate detailed artwork of most mainstream manga, though, this might take some getting used to. But I thought it was worth it. It's a very positive, feel-good manga.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
The artwork feels more like something from a webcomic than a traditional manga
Well, it technically is a webcomic, being serialized on twi4 (a Twitter account featuring several serialized 4-panel manga).

I'm a big fan of good-natured comedies about cross-cultural interactions, especially when they are as well-researched as this one. Besides, as someone who's both grown up in a Muslim-majority country (albeit one where hijab culture is far from mainstream and is in fact a bit controversial right now) and has studied abroad in the US, I've found a lot of things in this manga very relatable. It's a real joy to follow daily, and I'm glad that it's being translated for a wider audience now.
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:03 am Reply with quote
spoiler[man im kinda interested in how derailed the old thread must've been for a new one to start...]

I'm really glad this has been licensed. I read it a while ago thought it was cute, and enjoyed the art. But mostly it's that the content is so different and unusual for a manga. It's cool that a Japanese artist is actually making stories like this. I wonder if it's drawn from experiences or something.
Nada is so cool, she's someone I'd want to be friends with.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:20 am Reply with quote
This manga sounds so cute! I definitely want to read Satoko's reaction to California rolls. I was kind of surprised when my Japanese teacher told me avocados were not used in sushi in Japan.

Shay Guy wrote:
There's an offhand reference to kosher food on one page (I think as a substitute for halal?), which I liked because it's the most Jewishness I've ever seen in Japanese fiction.

I read in another review that Miracle is a religious Christian character. It would be interesting if a Jewish character was added to the mix to complete the Monotheistic trifecta!

On that note, I have an anecdote. I once had to explain to my Japanese teacher (who lives in Japan and gives lessons via Skype) that I would be missing lessons due to Passover, and in my best Japanese tried to explain what people do on Passover.
Me: (in bad Japanese) "We eat matza"
Her: "What's matza?"
(I suggested she do an image search)
Her: "...What do you eat it with?!"
(If I'd known more Japanese, maybe I'd try to explain bitter herbs and charoset...but that might be even stranger!)
She had a point! Passover is a weird holiday, especially if you've never heard of it before, or you've never tried to explain it to someone who has never heard of it before! Very Happy
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:08 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

She had a point! Passover is a weird holiday, especially if you've never heard of it before, or you've never tried to explain it to someone who has never heard of it before! Very Happy

That's a great story! It's easy to forget that a lot of traditions that are well-known to us are really unknown in other parts of the world, and of course the same is true in reverse.
MaskOfBrutality

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:47 am Reply with quote
Thanks whiskeyii and Princess_Irene for replying and expanding more upon the art, likewise mewpudding101, it's much appreciated. It sounds and looks a tad too weird (was gonna say off model but don't think that's the right wording) for me to get into.

Usually I can get into something even if the subject is not of interest if the art strikes the right chord for me but doesn't seem like it here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2