• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Seirei Gensouki - Spirit Chronicles Novel 1: Kingdom of Lies

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merxamers

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:56 am Reply with quote
"Pleasantly average" is how i'd describe Seirei Gensouki; it's definitely not breaking new ground, but it avoids some of the more off-putting elements of isekai stories, and is an enjoyable enough read. It's not a bad couple-hour read between volume releases of better series.
Brutannica

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:35 pm Reply with quote
How does being reincarnated as a 7-year-old work? What happened to Rio's consciousness when Haruto was reincarnated as him? Does Haruto/Rio gain the knowledge/personality of those first 7 years, or does Rio somehow gain amnesia?
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Rio's still there, it's sort of like their consciousnesses merge together so that they're one personality with Rio's first-hand knowledge and experience of the world but with Haruto's 20-year-old logic and modern moral compass.
myskaros

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:33 pm Reply with quote
This is definitely a series where having read the fan "translations" (if you want to call that "translating") helps inform others.

This probably doesn't exactly speak well for a long-running book series, but if you're intrigued by the premise but turned off by book 1, I'd recommend waiting to binge through books 2-4 together, since book 4 is where things really take off. Its a slow-burn at the start with some careful setup and long-term payoffs.

Regarding the review, I think Rio's mind-merge state is quite unique in the sea of isekai stories. Other than that, yeah, I can't say much about book 1 since it's frankly just not that great compared to book 4 and beyond :X
zztop

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:23 pm Reply with quote
myskaros wrote:
This is definitely a series where having read the fan "translations" (if you want to call that "translating") helps inform others.

This probably doesn't exactly speak well for a long-running book series, but if you're intrigued by the premise but turned off by book 1, I'd recommend waiting to binge through books 2-4 together, since book 4 is where things really take off. Its a slow-burn at the start with some careful setup and long-term payoffs.

Regarding the review, I think Rio's mind-merge state is quite unique in the sea of isekai stories. Other than that, yeah, I can't say much about book 1 since it's frankly just not that great compared to book 4 and beyond :X

I heard that the light novel version of Spirit rewrote and changed a significant amount of content from the original webnovel for the better. So I think the story has potential especially if there's willingness to improve on the original webnovel content.
myskaros

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:19 pm Reply with quote
zztop wrote:
I heard that the light novel version of Spirit rewrote and changed a significant amount of content from the original webnovel for the better. So I think the story has potential especially if there's willingness to improve on the original webnovel content.

I heard from people who have read it that the most significant changes are only for content around volume 10 haha.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:51 am Reply with quote
I guess if you enjoy fluffy heartwarming scenes with cute girls, that might be reason enough for you to check out this series.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:44 am Reply with quote
Bland is how I would describe this as well. It's not bad per se but definitely nothing special.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1