• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sunrise Plans to Release New Gundam Theatrical Film Every 1-2 Years

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:21 pm Reply with quote
If Precure can do at least one film a year, I don't see any reason why Gundam can't do one every two years.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:31 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
If Precure can do at least one film a year, I don't see any reason why Gundam can't do one every two years.

Gundam & Precure are kinda completely different beasts though.
LightningCount

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm intrigued. I'm a little worried Gundam might get watered down, but there is some material that I'd love to see made into either a movie or an OVA series:

Gundam Wing: Episode Zero (Don't do Frozen Teardrop, just adapt the prequel material that rounded out the original series in important ways, most of which was seen in the 1997 manga that followed the original series and was based on lost scripts, with some of the extra flourishes/clarifications seen since in things like Glory of the Losers.

Gundam 0079: Blue Destiny: An 08th MS Team-style side-story with fun, interesting characters and a new look at Newtype tech via the Zero System-esque EXAM system.

Gundam 0079: Rise from the Ashes: Another 08th MS Team-style side-story with fun, interesting characters in the rarely seen Australian front dealing with the danger of bio-weaponry.

Crossbone Gundam: Continues the abandoned story of F-91.

Gundam SEED Movie: The Cosmic Era may have been mishandled, but it has a lot of great thematic elements and a well-developed yet rather under-explored world. I'd love to see a strong capstone to make up for Destiny's lackluster final arc (roughly post-episode 37)
Kicksville

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Reminder of that one release chart they accidentally revealed early. If this holds true, isn't excluding anything, and wasn't TOO early (as in anything listed potentially being on the chopping block), it's likely this could be about Hathaway's Flash. It would seem to match with what they're suggesting here of continuous movie releases.

Assuming that Iron Blooded Orphans teaser doesn't end up being a stage play or whatever, that could very well be movies too.

I will admit I'm no longer really looking forward to anything, since it seems like they've turned UC into Harutoshi Fukui's pet, and I was unimpressed by IBO and Build Fighters. Hathaway's Flash without Tomino (which seems likely, if it actually happens) I just don't know about. But, ehh, maybe I'll be surprised.
TyrantValvatorez

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:18 am Reply with quote
LightningCount wrote:
I'm intrigued. I'm a little worried Gundam might get watered down, but there is some material that I'd love to see made into either a movie or an OVA series:

Gundam Wing: Episode Zero

Gundam SEED Movie

Eww, no. Let them both stay locked their graves. They have nothing going for them and are impossible to fix or redeem from the mess that they have become. Only those with extreme Nostalgia goggles would want a revival of these dead franchises. Wing was the worst Gundam spin off during the 90s . While Gundam 00 was the only post 2000 non Universal Century spin off that isn't terrible. Though Sunrise has seem to have forgotten that 00 even exists.
Also good riddance to Morosawa. Any hope of a SEED movie should have died with her.

LightningCount wrote:

Crossbone Gundam: Continues the abandoned story of F-91.

Crossbone still has rights issues with Kadokawa Shoten. There is also a 26 year gap between Narrative and F91. Hathaway's Flash is placed in 0105 on the UC calendar. If they stick with the UC timeline. It should give Sunrise time to sort it out with Kadokawa.
Zeino

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:02 pm Reply with quote
So either more possible compilation movies of Gundam series past, lots more unnecessary UC stories or actually considering doing something more with all those AU series?

TyrantValvatorez wrote:
LightningCount wrote:

Gundam Wing: Episode Zero

Gundam SEED Movie

Eww, no. Let them both stay locked their graves. They have nothing going for them and are impossible to fix or redeem from the mess that they have become. Only those with extreme Nostalgia goggles would want a revival of these dead franchises. Wing was the worst Gundam spin off during the 90s . While Gundam 00 was the only post 2000 non Universal Century spin off that isn't terrible. Though Sunrise has seem to have forgotten that 00 even exists.
Also good riddance to Morosawa. Any hope of a SEED movie should have died with her.

Since you are going down that obnoxious predictable path, I shall respond in kind as I always do to your type. Wing and Seed are in fact far better than the vast majority of UC Gundam, especially Zeta and victory, you dull-minded insensitive who would insult a dead woman.
forexjammer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:26 pm Reply with quote
So Hathaway Flash is confirmed then. I can't believe there's someone that thinks Wings and Seeds is better than Zeta and Victory haha. That's ANN for you.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:57 pm Reply with quote
@ TyrantValvatorez and Zeino,

You've stated your conflicting opinions with borderline posts. Please leave it at that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HK16

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Any chance one of those films is Frozen Teardrop?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1