• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Reveals Cast, Staff, Streaming for New 2019 Fruits Basket TV Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ittaku

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:47 am Reply with quote
It's going to be great to see this reanimated, and I know the author asked for entirely new staff, but it's really sad to not have Yui Horie doing Honda Sad
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:03 am Reply with quote
If only they could have brought back the original Japanese cast. This may be one reason I am more excited for the dub since Funi is more likely to bring back most of the original dub actors.

Yuichi Nakamura may be fun as Shigure though.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:16 am Reply with quote
I am so envious for the fans of the original manga series, They got the golden apple of adaptations a second chance for there favourite series to be remade and adapt the story as it how it should of been. I know some people who would kill others if they thought they would get there favourite show a proper adaption or a continuation and this one has not seen anything new for over 18 years. I watched the original myself a long time ago and it always shamed me how they handled it. Hopefully this time it can sucked.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:24 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
If only they could have brought back the original Japanese cast. This may be one reason I am more excited for the dub since Funi is more likely to bring back most of the original dub actors.

Since this is from Funimation and as they're the ones telling us that the original author wants everything to be new, I think they're trying to tell us something about the dub.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:34 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

Since this is from Funimation and as they're the ones telling us that the original author wants everything to be new, I think they're trying to tell us something about the dub.

No I don’t think they are. Natsuki Takaya didn’t like the original anime but that had nothing to do with the dub.

On another note I see the Seiyuu who is playing Ash in Banana Fish is going to play Kyo. That isn’t a bad casting choice. Although I will still really miss Seki Tomokazu.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:37 am Reply with quote

No I don’t think they are. Natsuki Takaya didn’t like the original anime but that had nothing to do with the dub.

On another note I see the Seiyuu who is playing Ash in Banana Fish is going to play Kyo. That isn’t a bad casting choice. Although I will still really miss Seki Tomokazu.

The Author was really pissed at how the original production went so i think it is safe to say that every thing is being remade with new voice actors will be casted rather than bring back the orignal cast both sub and dub to make sure as to not have anything to do with the original production went or even acknowledge it.
Inverti Herikawa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:40 am Reply with quote
Ha. Called it. Knew Funimation was gonna snatch this up before any other company could do it. And like Maiden said, I'm also in the camp where I think it's likely for Funimation to get their VAs to reprise their roles; the ones that still work for Funimation, that is. Eric Vale, Jerry Jewell and John Burgmeier come to mind.

I think Funimation's gonna do a simuldub of this as well. Hopefully the Eng cast list will come out as I've desired, because I really did like the original Fruits Basket anime dub, and I would love to see the same VAs come back and reprise them.
MHAFMAB

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:42 am Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:

The Author was really pissed at how the original production went so i think it is safe to say that every thing is being remade with new voice actors will be casted rather than bring back the orignal cast both sub and dub to make sure as to not have anything to do with the original production went or even acknowledge it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the author doesn't have control over the dub unless it pertains to the script.
MischievousMelody

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:09 am Reply with quote
Ittaku wrote:
It's going to be great to see this reanimated, and I know the author asked for entirely new staff, but it's really sad to not have Yui Horie doing Honda Sad

My thoughts exactly. Either way, though, it should be interesting to see how this new anime turns out.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:09 am Reply with quote
Inverti Herikawa wrote:
Ha. Called it. Knew Funimation was gonna snatch this up before any other company could do it. And like Maiden said, I'm also in the camp where I think it's likely for Funimation to get their VAs to reprise their roles; the ones that still work for Funimation, that is. Eric Vale, Jerry Jewell and John Burgmeier come to mind.

I think Funimation's gonna do a simuldub of this as well. Hopefully the Eng cast list will come out as I've desired, because I really did like the original Fruits Basket anime dub, and I would love to see the same VAs come back and reprise them.

Man, I hope FUNi finds a way to get Laura Bailey to reprise her role as Tohru. It's pretty much one of her career-defining roles.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:19 am Reply with quote
MHAFMAB wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but the author doesn't have control over the dub unless it pertains to the script.

What i mean in order to honor her wishes the funimation group might do a total recasting as well as not all of the voice actors from the original dub might be avail be so you might as well do a whole recast rather than a mix bag so as to keep things consistent.
Dian Z

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:20 am Reply with quote
Now I've been late to learn anything, but can someone enlighten me what's wrong with the first anime adaptation? What did Natsuki Takaya sensei said about it, what made her (and fans) disappointed by it?
I remember watching a few of the early episodes of the anime, and as I remember it it looks just fine, didn't get to watch more episodes since I was not really into the genre back then.
Thanks.
MHAFMAB

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:35 am Reply with quote
It seems she mentioned it from the Japanese side of things not the overseas part. I think they'll still end up getting as much of the old cast as possible since they are pretty good and being faithful to old dubs much like Full Metal Panic but we will see.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:39 am Reply with quote
Ha! I totally knew FUNimation was gonna get the license. Like there was ever any doubt.

Quote:
Now I've been late to learn anything, but can someone enlighten me what's wrong with the first anime adaptation? What did Natsuki Takaya sensei said about it, what made her (and fans) disappointed by it?

Apparently, Takaya and the director who worked on the original anime, Akitarou Daichi, had very differing ideas on how they wanted the anime to go. They disagreed on voice actors, animation, character designs, etc. Back then, Studio DEEN didn't want to let anyone else but Daichi work on the original anime, and Daichi himself said he doesn't want to work with Takaya ever again. I don't know all of the details, but this was the most I could find, if that helps.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:39 am Reply with quote
Being deeply invested in and promoting the Fruits Basket reboot is exactly the kind of thing Funimation needs to following their split with Crunchyroll, to convince people to sign up for $5/mo of FunimationNow. Although they don’t have nearly the international presence Crunchyroll does, so I suspect this is going to suck for Fruits Basket fans in various parts of the world.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7