• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Scum's Wish

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merxamers

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:17 pm Reply with quote
I feel like the lede was buried with that G Gundam synopsis; as far as i'm aware, it's one of the most ridiculous anime I've ever heard of, with Horse and Windmill gundams. The LE comes with a poncho and sombrero wearing "Tequila Gundam" shotglasses, for crying out loud!
Key

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Good to see both Crest and Banner of the Stars back in circulation, even if only on DVD. This is one of the better anime space operas out there, with large-scale action and geopolitical moves mixing smoothly with small-scale drama, and the care with which the relationship between the two leads is handled has few equals in anime. (They were a finalist in the all-time Best Duos competition we had in forums a few years ago, IIRC.) The franchise also has few equals when it comes to the intricacy and thoroughness of its world-building (figuratively speaking).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
John Thacker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Incidentally, the new release of Banner of the Stars for the first time has the Banner of the Stars III OVA included, as that wasn't in the old Bandai sets nor ever released (since it came out a couple years later IIRC). However, the Crest of the Stars prequel Passage of the Stars: Birth was previously included in the Banner of the Stars II set is now in the Crest of the Stars set. So if you happen to own the old sets, if you want to have all the new material you can either:

Get the new Banner set, and get rid of your old Banner set but not Banner II, in order to keep Birth, or
    Get both the new Crest and new Banner set, get rid of all three old box sets
John Thacker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I found Scum's Wish to be well-done melodrama, but absolutely not "painfully accurate." I'm sure it's an honest portrayal of a certain type of experience that reminds some people of their own experiences, but to me it was utterly foreign, exaggerated, and cartoonish, though quite moving. That's life, of course, we all have different experiences; I'm sure that shows that I find realistic others find trite or ridiculous. (I recall when the preview reviews for Just Because came out, opinions on the show seemed divided based on whether the reviewer enjoyed high school or not.) Still, it can be worth watching even if you have a hard time viewing the characters' emotions as realistic, in the same way that compelling soap operas can be, though I suppose it might not have been as meaningful to me as to people who found it true to life.
Takizawa-Shinzou

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:17 am Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
Personally, I found Scum's Wish to be well-done melodrama, but absolutely not "painfully accurate." I'm sure it's an honest portrayal of a certain type of experience that reminds some people of their own experiences, but to me it was utterly foreign, exaggerated, and cartoonish, though quite moving. That's life, of course, we all have different experiences

Yeah.. Same for me. I just found it to be extremely unrealistic. My school had a ton of issues but most people I know were still not even half as stupid as the two main characters in Scum's Wish. So that's all it ended up being for me: Unrealistically stupid characters doing unrealistically stupid things that had no real logic behind them. I'm not saying it is bad. I just can't understand the kind of broken thought processes they and people who relate to them have (Had during their HS years at least?).
jenthehen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:29 am Reply with quote
Picked this up for $25 during Sentai's Black Friday sale. Definitely worth it. The dub is wonderful. I was disappointed that the dub wouldn't end up being streamed on HiDive, so I'm glad I was able to get the blu-ray.
Zof

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:24 am Reply with quote
This was actually a compelling story, but I mean, yanno. The kind of compelling story that wouldn't have been interesting at all had it been about baseball or giant robots or demons or something. It definitely functions better as an NTR gateway anime.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:44 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
Incidentally, the new release of Banner of the Stars for the first time has the Banner of the Stars III OVA included, as that wasn't in the old Bandai sets nor ever released (since it came out a couple years later IIRC). However, the Crest of the Stars prequel Passage of the Stars: Birth was previously included in the Banner of the Stars II set is now in the Crest of the Stars set. So if you happen to own the old sets, if you want to have all the new material you can either:

Get the new Banner set, and get rid of your old Banner set but not Banner II, in order to keep Birth, or
    Get both the new Crest and new Banner set, get rid of all three old box sets

Thanks for the heads-up on this. I might purchase the new Banner set just to get Banner III, which I only currently have on a crappy fansub.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:50 pm Reply with quote
I loved Scum's Wish when it came out, and it was one of my favorites of that Winter season. Honestly, I was just glad to see it get licensed for a blu-ray release since it originally streamed on Amazon, let alone a dub (which I haven't checked out yet).

I thought the whole basic premise of inevitably tying your sexual relationships to your self-worth as a teenager really worked, and it felt pretty relatable for me, if not with the main character, than one of the other girls in some way or another. I also appreciated how it took this fairly common character trait in anime of self-loathing (there's more there, but I want to just keep things more vague), but stuck most of it in a girl's perspective. I also just thought the show itself was really beautiful, despite its more restrained animation/panning shots detailing some ugly/depressing stuff. Its music definitely helped in that regard.

The only stuff I thought got a little too melodramatic was how some of the resolutions with the teachers were handled, but overall I thought the show worked and ended pretty well. It definitely seems like a love-it or hate-it show though, and that doesn't surprise me in the slightest.
Slashman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Takizawa-Shinzou wrote:
John Thacker wrote:
Personally, I found Scum's Wish to be well-done melodrama, but absolutely not "painfully accurate." I'm sure it's an honest portrayal of a certain type of experience that reminds some people of their own experiences, but to me it was utterly foreign, exaggerated, and cartoonish, though quite moving. That's life, of course, we all have different experiences

Yeah.. Same for me. I just found it to be extremely unrealistic. My school had a ton of issues but most people I know were still not even half as stupid as the two main characters in Scum's Wish. So that's all it ended up being for me: Unrealistically stupid characters doing unrealistically stupid things that had no real logic behind them. I'm not saying it is bad. I just can't understand the kind of broken thought processes they and people who relate to them have (Had during their HS years at least?).

Yeah...it is a stretch to have that many broken/twisted people all come together in one place. It is just as stupid as having so many girls all fall for one guy and do absolutely nothing about it.

My biggest problem with it is that Akane actually has no reason to do the things she's doing. If she was sleeping around for the hell of it I would think that is a more realistic portrayal than doing it simply to hurt other women. Instead she is in some weird game in which she only feels valuable when hurting others and all it takes is one naive guy to turn all of that around and she gets a happy end?

I get the feeling that if Scum's Wish showed boobs and other fanservicey stuff it would get trashed for being horrible. Even if it kept the same story.
vcx

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:31 pm Reply with quote
I really likedScum's wish and hated the title. I realize people mature t differing rates and many never gain great social skills. Akane is true to herself. IMO that bothers some viewers others migh have a issue with the sex friend (s) that would not become a romantic relationship.
To my point of view it was very accurate for some and alien for others. I had no "high school" social life so that part was interesting. I can see where the familiar person can fulfill and emotional void without understanding to the other's feelings.
Add that this takes place in a very different culture and language. ( assuming that the reader is American or Western) The nuances we may miss since the author is writing for an in Japanese. If in the future we can have machines that can have us think in Japanese then we might have different emotions from the story.
I highly recommend this Anime. I do not find the characters stupid at all but making their way through life as it is for them.
Slashman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:03 am Reply with quote
vcx wrote:
I really likedScum's wish and hated the title. I realize people mature t differing rates and many never gain great social skills. Akane is true to herself. IMO that bothers some viewers others migh have a issue with the sex friend (s) that would not become a romantic relationship.
To my point of view it was very accurate for some and alien for others. I had no "high school" social life so that part was interesting. I can see where the familiar person can fulfill and emotional void without understanding to the other's feelings.
Add that this takes place in a very different culture and language. ( assuming that the reader is American or Western) The nuances we may miss since the author is writing for an in Japanese. If in the future we can have machines that can have us think in Japanese then we might have different emotions from the story.
I highly recommend this Anime. I do not find the characters stupid at all but making their way through life as it is for them.

Yeah Akane is true to herself even if that hurts the people she is around. In fact she does it specifically TO hurt the people she is around and that's not healthy. If she wanted to sleep around then that's fine, that's being true to your self and has an effect on you. But to specifically set out to hurt people who have done nothing to her and pretend it is just being true to herself is not only freaking crazy it is something not to be admired.

If Akane was a guy, ANN and everyone else would be saying this was a horrible anime. He just preys on people to make himself feel better. Who wants to watch this crap? I'm saying Akane doesn't deserve such a simplistic happy ending where she gets the guy and ends up telling the main heroine "better luck next time". I found it infuriating.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1