• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Hayao Miyazaki Looks Back on His Memories of Creating My Neighbor Totoro

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:05 pm Reply with quote
I lived in Tokorozawa for 3-4 years and visited the park a few times.

It’s a little suburb of Tokyo now but it is a good town and was a nice place to live. There are plenty of wide open parks and it’s not nearly as cramped as central Tokyo, but it is hard to imagine it being like it is depicted in Totoro for me.
Raz_G

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The film's setting is based on the city of Tokorozawa in the Saitama Prefecture, where he lived with his wife when they were a young couple in the 1950s.

You mean the 1960s, perhaps? Miyazaki was still a teenager in the 1950s; he married his wife in the mid-'60s.
Frog-kun
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:28 pm Reply with quote
@Raz_G: You're right. I've corrected the mistake. Thanks for pointing that out!
Zof

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:41 pm Reply with quote
I created a neighbour once. But it didn't work out for me. They hated my loud stereo and week long outdoor Riptide (1984) viewing parties.

Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:32 pm Reply with quote
My Neighbor Totoro is one of my all time favorite Ghibli films. I hope this book could be released in English at some point as it would be interesting to read it. But I'm glad we have this article to fill is on it.
Zeino

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:00 am Reply with quote
My Neighbor Totoro was the first anime I ever really watched as a child so I can get that indescribable feeling that Miyazaki is talking about here. Even back then when I didn't know I didn't know it was from Japan, the film felt so vividly uncanny to my six year old mind in showing me a different kind of world.

Also...

Quote:
He said that when he went to Switzerland to learn how to draw the plants and wildlife there, he thought, "The greenery in Japan is better." Despite being a self-confessed Europhile, Miyazaki decided to create a film that captures just what is so spectacular about nature in Japan. "Although I still hate Japan," Miyazaki added.

This honestly makes him sound like a Tsundere for Japan (though I am well aware of the issues he has to be genuinely critical with his country.) and made me laugh out loud.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1