• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mirai Anime Film Receives Golden Globes Nomination

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatSword

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:11 am Reply with quote
Color me surprised!

The nomination is nice, but I don't think it stands a chance of actually winning. Incredibles 2 was incredibly big, Into the Spider-Verse has been a bit of a sleeper hit (currently at a 100% on Rotten Tomatoes), and Isle of Dogs would be the potential "artsy" choice.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Felicity dash

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:18 am Reply with quote
Sure, if Foreign animatedfilms were able to compete in the foreign language category, this film might’ve had a chance
Takizawa-Shinzou

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:35 am Reply with quote
being nominated is fairly easy. i doubt it will win considering the racism and bigotry from the "voters". Blatantly admitting they dont even watch everything.
NeverKnewINeeded

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:54 am Reply with quote
Congrats to Mirai though! Happy to see it nominated. Very Happy It won't win but I'll take a nomination over nothing at this point.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:59 am Reply with quote
Takizawa-Shinzou wrote:
being nominated is fairly easy. i doubt it will win considering the racism and bigotry from the "voters". Blatantly admitting they dont even watch everything.

1. For anime films? Not unless you're Ghibli-related.

2. They're not racist, they're just lazy.
CatSword

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Takizawa-Shinzou wrote:

You appear to be confusing the Golden Globes for the Oscars.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Takizawa-Shinzou wrote:

Quite the opposite. It's practically a shoe in Black Panther will win best picture because the voters don't want to be labeled racist.

The issue is nobody cares about animation in the west.
Xe4

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:00 pm Reply with quote
This is good news but not really too surprising. GKids is great at lobbying for nominations at awards. I'm sure that's a big reason that Hosoda's production company went with GKids instead of Funimation actually.

Last edited by Xe4 on Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
TravellinMatt77

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully, Mirai's awards momentum will carry it to an Oscar nomination. It probably won't win either a Golden Globe or an Oscar, but it would be nice if the latter nomination encouraged more people to watch the film (and anime films in general).
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Mamoru Hosoda's statement:

Quote:
I'm just so surprised that my film's been nominated for the 76th Golden Globe Awards! It gives me great joy to think that my film could reach a wider audience, and more people could enjoy my little film. Thank you very much to the Hollywood Foreign Press Association for this honor.

I see zero chance of it winning this year, but it's cool that they got the recognition.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:38 pm Reply with quote
That's nice. Wish I could confirm it's quality personally, but they canceled the screenings for it here. I was looking forward to it, and even had my ticket already, very unprofessional GKids. Evil or Very Mad
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:11 pm Reply with quote
This is good news.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:02 pm Reply with quote
The film is good -- much better than what I was led to believe by people who saw it in Japan when it premiered -- but I don't think I like it as much as Wolf Children.

It's what some say it is -- a more realistic view of how children react in families after a new sibling joins the family. It really is more realistic than many families are in that sense.

I've seen half of Hosada's films. I have yet to watch The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and The Boy and The Beast.

They had an interview with Hosada after the film ended but by that time, I was THE LAST person in the theater because they didn't make it clear there WOULD be an interview after th film ended.
I didn't stay for all of it, either... I figure I'd just watch it after I got the home video because it'll be on there as an extra just like the interview for the director of Mary and the Witch's Flower was on that home video release.
The gist of what I did see for the few minutes I stay (3-4; the whole interview was 10 minutes long I think) was that Hosada was concerned at how hand-drawn animation was disappearing in Japan and how few people were being really well-trained in it.
Join the club!
It's been that way in the US for close to 20 years now and CG films are very cookie cutter, perhaps more son than hand-drawn animation became in its last years in the US.
ericarreza

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:04 am Reply with quote
ChrissyC wrote:
This is good news.

Well good thing it's a Golden Globe unlike the greedy Oscars but I think Spider-Man: Spider-Verse might win this category & probably the Hollywood Press will sympathize on the death of Stan Lee, the person who brought the Marvel Comics, imho.

And speaking of the GREEDY Oscars, there's a news today that Kevin Hart had backed out to host that award next year because of his homophobic messages on his twitter account: https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Culture/kevin-hart-steps-oscars-host-homophobic-comments-resurface/story?id=59670981&cid=social_twitter_abcn

Yeah, good thing he'd backed it out or else the Oscars will still be a s**thole. Laughing

P.S.
The real reason why Mirai made a Golden Globe nod is probably because there's no boob massage scene unlike in Kimi No Nawa/Your Name. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1