• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Reki Kawahara Apologizes to Voice Actors for Latest Sword Art Online Episode

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FlyGuySempai

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:17 pm Reply with quote
He didn't have to apologize, kudos to him but its not like it was necessary, the voice actors signed up for this knowing what was upcoming so I hope he doesn't feel guilty or anything although i believe he's just being respectful to his talents.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I can sorta relate to that, wanting to emulate storytelling elements that fascinated you as a kid in your own work. I did something similar when I was in high school.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:25 pm Reply with quote
FlyGuySempai wrote:
He didn't have to apologize, kudos to him but its not like it was necessary, the voice actors signed up for this knowing what was upcoming so I hope he doesn't feel guilty or anything although i believe he's just being respectful to his talents.

Do voice actors really know that in advance? Its never been clear if voice actors and other staff actually read the series, and for some I wonder how theyd have time to really read the multiple series of anime they start in each season.Perhaps only the top level staff have read the books, so this might have come out of the left field for some.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Im glad he's moved on for it, and hopefully it continues to stay away from The Isolator and Accel World. Keep my fav kawahara series pure.
Twilightmaster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:37 pm Reply with quote
No, Voice actors typically don't know all of the source material when going in for an audition read. I can't speak for the Japanese side but I'm well acquainted with several VAs in the states and there are plenty of times they don't tell you anything aside from your character's name and the show title. This could also be different per company as I have one friend who works with Sentai Filmworks and several people in Funimation. If anything it's mostly up to the actor to investigate on their own once they get a part, and that's up to the individual's discretion.
Trendo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:45 pm Reply with quote
It was right to apologize to the VAs, it was a disturbing scene and they still did a good job. Also im happy about the fact, that he will still write such scenes but not as a LN which is okay, because many LNs are more for young teens which are not supposed to read something like that (ratings etc.)

Still he should not stop to use such content in his Books, not because I want such content. but to learn how to write such scenes better
Without any training and critics, he will never wrote a better scene where everyone can agree.
We really need to stop to assault him (i mean, on twitter there were real death threats against him from western fans) and say him not only what we didn't like, but what he could done better.
In this discussion i really dont like, that both sides are to extreme with their demands
Some want more scenes like that and the other one wants to ban it.
Scenes like that are important for some Storys, chars etc. and without any reasonabel critics, nobody can learn to write something like that better.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:23 pm Reply with quote
What kind of excuse is that? He's basically saying that those rape scenes happens because it was what he was influenced with by reading other works. Perhaps you shouldn't even touch those to begin with? As a writer, he should've knew that you can write a lot more ways to make your bad guys...a bad guys. They don't necessarily need to be a rapist all the time. This rape nonsense has happened like what, three times already in the major SAO entries so far beside in GGO, and even then, it was by a different author? Plus Ordinal Scale was apparently had an original story. Use it once, yeah, there's an understanding to be reached but three times? That's enough. I heard Alicization was a whole lot better but I guess those people forgot to put this detail. I don't really mind such scene by the way, if it was done right but I'll believe Reki Kawahara had done way too much with the element, it's way passed being welcomed.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Afezeria wrote:
What kind of excuse is that? He's basically saying that those rape scenes happens because it was what he was influenced with by reading other works. Perhaps you shouldn't even touch those to begin with? As a writer, he should've knew that you can write a lot more ways to make your bad guys...a bad guys. They don't necessarily need to be a rapist all the time. This rape nonsense has happened like what, three times already in the major SAO entries so far beside in GGO, and even then, it was by a different author? Plus Ordinal Scale was apparently had an original story. Use it once, yeah, there's an understanding to be reached but three times? That's enough. I heard Alicization was a whole lot better but I guess those people forgot to put this detail. I don't really mind such scene by the way, if it was done right but I'll believe Reki Kawahara had done way too much with the element, it's way passed being welcomed.

Hello, hadn't seen you since the FranXX threads lol. Just wanted to correct you on something, this is the 2nd time he used Rape. First one being the Oberon thing on the second half of Season1. The "rape" people are talking about during GGO wasn't really rape. The dude was ready to stab Sinon with the Death Gun, so unless he was into necrophilia... you get what i mean.

PS:
Quote:
Perhaps you shouldn't even touch those to begin with?

Miss me with that crap. <.<
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Many VA's in Japan will read the source material prior to doing any work on the show. Especially with Light Novels and manga as they are quick reads. They'll state in interviews all the time how reading the source material helped them get to know their character. If it happened here is anybody's guess but I would say it's highly likely given the popularity of such a series.

It was nice of Kawahara to apologize though. Now if people could stop being so extreme with their death threats and other non-sense on Twitter. I also find the complaints about Kawahara using that as a plot device pretty ridiculous as it has rarely happened in SAO. Try watching Banana Fish this season, which has (literally) every antagonist be a sexual predator.
myskaros

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Afezeria wrote:
What kind of excuse is that? He's basically saying that those rape scenes happens because it was what he was influenced with by reading other works. Perhaps you shouldn't even touch those to begin with?

Just saying, this part of the story was released in Japan 6 years ago, and around 10 years or more in web novel form, so I think it's more that he's reflecting on himself 10 years ago than necessarily making excuses. Also keep in mind that the anime production did have the option of rewriting the scene to be less controversial than it was, so there are at least a few other sources to "blame" than just Kawahara.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:48 pm Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:
Many VA's in Japan will read the source material prior to doing any work on the show. Especially with Light Novels and manga as they are quick reads. They'll state in interviews all the time how reading the source material helped them get to know their character. If it happened here is anybody's guess but I would say it's highly likely given the popularity of such a series.

It was nice of Kawahara to apologize though. Now if people could stop being so extreme with their death threats and other non-sense on Twitter. I also find the complaints about Kawahara using that as a plot device pretty ridiculous as it has rarely happened in SAO. Try watching Banana Fish this season, which has (literally) every antagonist be a sexual predator.

thats still the strangest thing to me and one of the many turn offs with that aspect of the banana fish plot, surely everyone and their grandpa doesnt need to be pedos, it keeps taking me out of banana fishs main plot.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Afezeria wrote:

Is not just Kawahara Reki, Many other Japanese authors of manga and LN use the sexual assault and other kinds of situations were the purity of the female characters are in danger for shock effect.
It probably happens because of the relationship Japanese people have with purity and first times situations (first kiss, first sexual experience). Nothing will make the Japanese audience more mad at the bad guy than somebody else other than the MC be the first.

Is nasty, but is very a effective plot device.

TasteyCookie wrote:

Most VA are also LN otaku and I'm sure they know about what happens on SAO before they do the scenes,

What happened in twitter backlash was on Japan or in the US audience?

Last edited by Jonny Mendes on Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:56 pm Reply with quote
This does not surprise me, given that Kawahara is the author who, by his own admission, writes all female characters as "MC"s love intrerest", because he does not know how to write female characters in a different context.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:04 pm Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:
This does not surprise me, given that Kawahara is the author who, by his own admission, writes all female characters as "MC"s love intrerest", because he does not know how to write female characters in a different context.

Disagree, even in Alicilization Kayaba's lover is not written as Kirito's Love Interest.

I will agree with the overall sentiment, since in Accel World, not only is every relevant female written as his love interest but even his male best friend is in that same territory.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
s not just Kawahara Reki, Many other Japanese authors of manga and LN use the sexual assault and other kinds of situations were the purity of the female characters are in danger for shock effect.
It probably happens because of the relationship Japanese people have with purity and first times situations (first kiss, first sexual experience). Nothing will make the Japanese audience more mad at the bad guy than somebody else other than the MC be the first.

Is nasty, but is very a effective plot device.

VA are also LN otaku and I'm sure they know about what happens on SAO before they do the scenes,

What happened in twitter backlash was on Japan or in the US audience?

At best, "except MC". I remember a rather silly scandal when the K-ON's author joked about the appearance of Ritsu and Yui's boyfriends, and this caused a lot of complaints that the author "turned our girls into whores". And I still remember the words of one friend, whose line "this girl has other male love interests, so it is obvious that she is not considered as MC's love interest", I remember for a long time.

I think it’s generally difficult in Japan to find VAs that are not involved in the anime community. Starting from Aoi Yuki, who was openly pushing yuri shiping in Madoka (although if you take into account how many times she voiced qeer or probably qeer characters, it can be not only this), and ending with Mamoru Miyano, who is proud of his love for PreCure. In general, it is expected.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5