• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Evo Japan 2019 Fighting Game Tournament Reveals Main Lineup

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heishi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Funny there's no Dragonball Fighter Z, no Smash Ultimate, and no Killer Instinct.
That's disappointing.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Just games from this year and last year, uh? Interesting...

Also, do you think we could get some announcements in there?
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
Funny there's no Dragonball Fighter Z, no Smash Ultimate, and no Killer Instinct.
That's disappointing.

Japan's never really been into western fighting games, and Smash isn't a competitive game. Is Dragonball Fighter Z supposed to be competitive? I just assumed it was a game for fans of the franchise, like Ultimate Ninja Storm or the My Hero Academia game. Don't think they're balanced and made for high competition levels.
Takizawa-Shinzou

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:
Heishi wrote:
That's disappointing.

Smash isn't a competitive game. Is Dragonball Fighter Z supposed to be competitive? .

wow. you know nothing lol. both those games are very competitive
Barbobot

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:
Heishi wrote:
That's disappointing.

Japan's never really been into western fighting games, and Smash isn't a competitive game. Is Dragonball Fighter Z supposed to be competitive? I just assumed it was a game for fans of the franchise, like Ultimate Ninja Storm or the My Hero Academia game. Don't think they're balanced and made for high competition levels.

Dragonball FighterZ was in this years EVO tournament and was quite successful. It definitely has a competitive scene. It is an ArcSys game after all. Smash is competitive, but I don't think Japan has a very large competitive scene for the game compared to the West. Though I'm not sure how quickly Smash Ultimate is being adopted for competitive play as I haven't really been following it.

Last edited by Barbobot on Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Asaaaasd

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:
Heishi wrote:
That's disappointing.

Dragon Ball FighterZ was the biggest game at the most recent western Evo, it's a one of the most well liked competitive fighters.
spark67

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Ok, Smash is missing, but also Injustice 2.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:48 pm Reply with quote
I don't follow the EVO scene super closely, but has the DOA franchise ever been part of the tournament? Since DOA6 is imminent and all…
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:18 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
I don't follow the EVO scene super closely, but has the DOA franchise ever been part of the tournament? Since DOA6 is imminent and all…

I do not know but seeing that Koei Tecmo and Team Ninja are trying too hard to make DOA6 an E-Sports material and boasting that they toned down the fanservice. I hope that game does not get in EVO or any major fighting game tournament. Besides, the graphics looks outdated and the gameplay offers barely new.

Last edited by John Hayabusa on Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:19 pm Reply with quote
spark67 wrote:
Ok, Smash is missing, but also Injustice 2.

This is Evo Japan which is different from the main Evo. Japan doesn't really do competitive Smash or Injustice
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:27 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:

I don't follow American fighting game tournaments, but it's been featured in Japanese tournaments like Toushinsai. But given the fact you had cases in American esports where networks demanding the competitors change costumes for certain female characters to be less revealing so it's advertiser friendly, I'm going to say probably not. That's why DOA6 is betraying it's Japanese fanbase to chase after that Twitch money Laughing I also hope it fails to work so they learn their lesson
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
I don't follow American fighting game tournaments, but it's been featured in Japanese tournaments like Toushinsai. But given the fact you had cases in American esports where networks demanding the competitors change costumes for certain female characters to be less revealing so it's advertiser friendly, I'm going to say probably not. That's why DOA6 is betraying it's Japanese fanbase to chase after that Twitch money Laughing I also hope it fails to work so they learn their lesson

Well said, my friend. DOA6 is 2019's Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe. Laughing
Hideki-Motosuwa

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Keep in mind that due to laws in Japan, EVOJapan tournaments are not played for money but instead prizes given out by the game developers. If the developers don't put anything up for the game, it was not included into the EVO main game lineup which is one of the main reasons why Dragonball FighterZ was not included in the EVOJapan lineup. Due to Smash's relatively small competitive crowd in Japan, this is also why Smash is not in the lineup.....honestly, I'm rather glad it's not since "I" don't consider it a fighting game.

Oh and please, why are some of you thinking something like Injustnuts 2 (yes, this was intentionally spelt this way.....don't correct me) had any chance of being at EVOJapan? Crap needs to stay in the west since no one in Japan cares about it along with Killer Instinct (wish neither was in EVO since one is boring to watch and the other is so aesthetically awful that I can never understand why people like looking at it....like all of Netherealm games).
Schadows

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Ah ok, I was also surprised by some missing titles, but now I realize this is EVO Japan (for me EVO is an american tournament).
Make sense for some, but not all though
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:

and Smash isn't a competitive game. Is Dragonball Fighter Z supposed to be competitive? I just assumed it was a game for fans of the franchise, like Ultimate Ninja Storm or the My Hero Academia game. Don't think they're balanced and made for high competition levels.

Under which rock were you living under? Razz Sorry, dude, but that sheer amount of ignorance is actually impressive. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2