• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Girl in the Twilight Anime Cancels DVD Release, Changes Single BD Release Volumes to BD Bo

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Azza Murphy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:35 am Reply with quote
lmao this is going down hill was the Anime the last chance to save this franchise
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:56 am Reply with quote
I hope this will still get a Blu Ray release in the US as I enjoyed the show but I guess they won't be able to do a BD/DVD combo pack.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:39 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I hope this will still get a Blu Ray release in the US as I enjoyed the show but I guess they won't be able to do a BD/DVD combo pack.

It’s a Sentai license. They no longer do DVD’s, so a combo pack was never a possibility.
Florete

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:39 am Reply with quote
Not all good shows get the attention they deserve.
americananimotk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:58 am Reply with quote
So, something tells me this didn't do well at all since the mobile game is shutting down pn top of this.
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:11 am Reply with quote
I wonder why this one whiffed so hard. I REALLY liked it. Like it's probably my favorite anime this year.

And in the minds of fans both in the english speaking world and apparently also in japan, it's really like it kinda just doesn't exist.

It's not like even people say that it's bad, they just didn't watch it and don't care about it at all. I guess that's just the fate of everything I really like, isn't it? Confused
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:19 am Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
I wonder why this one whiffed so hard. I REALLY liked it. Like it's probably my favorite anime this year.

And in the minds of fans both in the english speaking world and apparently also in japan, it's really like it kinda just doesn't exist.

It's not like even people say that it's bad, they just didn't watch it and don't care about it at all. I guess that's just the fate of everything I really like, isn't it? Confused

There are like 50+ anime this season. It's competing with popular shows like Bunny, Jojo, Sword Art Online, Zombieland Saga, Index S3, Goblin Slayer, etc. for attention. Some shows garner attention for the wrong reasons (i.e.: ImoImo for production issues, UzaMaid for its premise, Sora to Umi no Aida for Episode 1), while some just kinda exist like this one.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:57 am Reply with quote
I was kind of hoping this would do well enough to release something that would tie up all the loose threads, even if the ending of the anime was about the courage and excitement to go on living when the future is uncertain. Sad if the future of this is looking so uncertain, because the arcs after the first one were actually pretty good and creative.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:32 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

It’s a Sentai license. They no longer do DVD’s, so a combo pack was never a possibility.

They do DVDs of shows that are Standard-Definition only and DON'T have existing Blu ray editions.

What Sentai has NEVER done regularly is do Blu ray/DVD packs like Funimation but even Funimation will probably phase out Blu ray/DVD packs. The new Essentials line of reprints that Funimation started this past fall are Blu ray-only reprints; they're not packing DVDS in with Blu rays. If you want the DVD, better buy the original release while you can because every Essential I've seen listed online or in store has NOT had the DVD bundled with it, period.
That's just the way the market is evolving. People are not buying DVDs as much and most fans prefer Blu ray and won't pick up DVD unless Blu ray is not an option is only the case less than 10% of the time.
Where Sentai does BD with DVDs are in its deluxe box sets but I would imagine that's happening less and less or won't happen anymore, period.
Blu ray drives are much cheaper now. If you can't afford a good midline unit ($150), there are definitely under $100 standalone units as well as add-on internal AND external drives you can plug into your computer. Heck, you can buy a few 4K Blu ray units for $150 and be set for the future and be able to play EVERYTHING on that one player! A 4K drive is NOT that essential, though, because it will be quite a while before a large chunk of anime IS mastered for 4K. Virtually every anime series is 1080p and there still aren't that many films mastered at better than 2K, either, and the advantages of 4K over 1080p aren't that obvious for many people.

Shawn Kleckner, the CEO/founder of The Right Stuf, did a podcast appearance and he's think they'll be doing a lot less Blu ray/DVD combo packs in the future. Every company that ISN'T Funimation doing an anime license doesn't pack DVDs in with Blu rays anyway. They do a separate DVD release IF they do a DVD edition at all...
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:48 am Reply with quote
I liked this show far more than most other shows released this season and its sad to see Girl in Twilight just not go anywhere. On the other hand, I always felt it looked kind of cheap as they didn't always allocate the budget properly and it's hard to catch people's attention in the time of anime streaming if you're not flashy enough.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:25 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
They do DVDs of shows that are Standard-Definition only and DON'T have existing Blu ray editions.

Not anymore they don't, Sentai has started to join in on releasing their own SD Blu-rays for those specific shows.
RegSuzaku

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:32 am Reply with quote
Galap wrote:

It's the fate of probably 90% of anime, not to mention manga/novels/drama CDs/ music projects etc. that don't have anime adaptations.

Getting everything cancelled is a decisive cut down, but it's no worse than the "fate" of things that got made and never expected to have a sequel or continuing game...
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:19 am Reply with quote
#884745 wrote:
Getting everything cancelled is a decisive cut down, but it's no worse than the "fate" of things that got made and never expected to have a sequel or continuing game...

One has to remember that anime adaptations of light novels and manga, sometimes even games, aren't meant to tell the whole story, only the beginning part most of the time. It's a bonus if they do a full adaptation of source, but that usually only happens to super popular properties and the ones that have had that treatment can probably be counted with one's fingers...
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:32 am Reply with quote
It almost feels like this title was designed from the start to be a loss-leader by Dandelion AS. And considering how short that online game was up for, I cannot see that developer broke even on the time spent producing the game. It's a shame, I rather quite enjoyed this series.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:32 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

Actually, they’ve stopped doing that for some time now as well. Your info is a little out of date. Standard definition shows now get released on Bluray, but still in SD. There is a banner across the top of the cover indicating the show isn’t in HD. It’s been several months since Sentai’s last DVD solicitation, and even Maiden Japan has switched to Bluray for standard definition shows.

They’ve also stopped doing combo packs in their collectors edition. The last combos done were for series where an earlier season had already been a DVD/BD combo pack. Any series that didn’t fall into that group have only been getting Blu-ray’s in their limited editions.

Sentai has even had recent clearance sales to get rid of their DVD inventory. A combo pack, limited edition or otherwise, was never on the table for this title.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2