• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: ENDRO!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:44 pm Reply with quote
I've enjoyed these first two episodes. Yuusha taking what she wanted from that persons house was a great bit =)
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:45 pm Reply with quote
The second episode felt like it has a large well of things to draw from for its humour, so I am feeling good about it. Yusha's house raid does seem reminiscent of Nike, but I think it is a great riff on RPG heroes.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:09 am Reply with quote
It’s been a cute show so far that also has been more comfy to watch for me than what I was expecting. My favorite character of the bunch so far is Seira and Mao has also been funny to watch. Looking forward to seeing more.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:57 am Reply with quote
The first episode did nothing for me, but I do like the character designs. I'll wait for a few more reviews to see if it's worth the time to continue this series.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:28 pm Reply with quote
For a goofy slap stick fantasy comedy show, I'm really impressed by the animation quality of Endro. I think this is one of the best looking shows of the season and I'm enjoying the humor a lot.
S0crates

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:32 pm Reply with quote
This show is meme savvy :3
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:21 pm Reply with quote
This show is not for me. It is like cotton candy, other than a vague sense of sweetness there is nothing there.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:01 pm Reply with quote
I think it is maybe casting a bit of a wide net with some of its jokes, that if you are not into the meta of the starter quests thing, you have a character being way into food. Can't be sure, but the Cartado thing must be something meant to be reminiscent of collectors of trading cards that younger audience might be meant to find familiar.
Kitsu Kyouno

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:48 am Reply with quote
we have the beach episode quite early, now only the onsen episode is missing Very Happy
John Thacker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Honestly, the decision to imply that this fantasy world has any sorts of laws restricting same-sex marriage is odd

More a result of the show being made in Japan. Nowhere in Asia has legal same-sex marriage, after all, though Taiwan has civil unions with plans for more
(Also Israel has civil unions, though our mental models of Asia don't always include the Middle East.)
myskaros

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm disappointed there was no mention in the review of the fact that Princess Rona seems to realize that Mao is actually the demon lord :O That's definitely a step forward in the overarching plot, though who knows if it will actually go anywhere.
Kitsu Kyouno

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:37 pm Reply with quote
What I expected the episode 100% yuri Anime smallmouth Anime smallmouth Anime smallmouth
Phrunicus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:55 am Reply with quote
I'm still confused at the time-travel aspect... is there 'another' Mao out there, right now, learning how to be a Demon Lord, while the later version is teaching the Yuusha Party and giving up on the Demon Lord life?
michizure

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6 at least resolved one of my questions: the enormous, male-sounding "Maou" from Episode 1 was a disguise, rather than Mao-sensei's original form. It was never clear to me before whether the curse that sent her back had also trapped her into the loli body we know or not.

Now I am curious about Maid Golem. She seems to have been the demons' institutional memory from one Maou/Hero cycle to the next. Even more, there is the whole "999th incarnation" flag: it seems likely that something important was going to happen on the next go-'round. Yet, if she was supposed to survive to assist the next Maou, she was strangely willing to put herself at risk from confronting Yusha's party, rather than running away or hiding. Last, there is the fact that Mao-sensei never learned her name, even after years of association (and as opposed to, say, the Four Generals, who were named in a caption).

Is Maid Golem in fact the 1000th Maou, the final boss that Yusha & Co. will have to work with Mao-sensei to defeat?
michizure

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Christopher Farris said:
Quote:
There is a seeming incongruity that isn't touched on in Rona's plan, since the end of her debut episode implied that the Princess was aware that M.A.O was the former Demon Lord. ... But it does make me wonder if I wasn't misinterpreting something a few episodes ago.

I wondered that as well. Best I can tell, the Princess was talking about fated encounters in the abstract (per her hero-story fixation, as we discover later), while Mao-sensei interprets it as her implying she knows something.

This isn't the only incongruity. As Phrunicus pointed out (above), we seem to have arrived at a duplicate, overlapping set of quest props: two Demon Lords (past and present), two Demon Castles (real and fake), two sets of Four Generals (ditto). Since I want to believe that the script-writers know what they're doing, all I can think is that this is a parallel world that didn't initially have a Demon Lord:

Yusha shows up to be the Hero, so the failed sealing spell from the original timeline sends Mao-sensei there willy-nilly to be the Demon Lord. There wasn't a Demon Castle in this timeline, until the Princess had it built -- visually identical to the original, note. The Four Generals, aka spoiler[the Princess' SP detail], are the only ones there are. If so, in a sense the Demon Lord sealing spell has been Super Effective.

If not, we may yet get some comedic and dramatic mileage out of a collision between the two versions, with Maid Golem as the wildcard. Either way, it will be interesting to watch.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2