• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hollywood Monster Hunter Film Opens on September 4, 2020

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigHeadClan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Ugh I wince every time I read more about this movie, it really should have been more of a coming of age story of a young hunter who learns about the balance of the world and living in harmony with it.

And instead it is turned into a odd si-fi/fantasy mash up.
TsubomiKoneko

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:21 pm Reply with quote
BigHeadClan wrote:
Ugh I wince every time I read more about this movie, it really should have been more of a coming of age story of a young hunter who learns about the balance of the world and living in harmony with it.

And instead it is turned into a odd si-fi/fantasy mash up.

Yeah, when it was first announced they would be making a Monster Hunter movie I was like "Oh, this could be interesting! I love Monster Hunter, I'll have to check it out", but at this point I'm like "Yeah, never mind. I'll pass". Seriously not even considering renting it when it comes out on DVD because I'm tired of Hollywood just going off into their own territory instead of going with something that makes sense based off how the games themselves are.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:46 pm Reply with quote
BigHeadClan wrote:
It really should have been more of a coming of age story of a young hunter who learns about the balance of the world and living in harmony with it.

I agree. I guess the reason why they went with the "human from Earth gets transported to another world" plot is so that the monsters could transport to Earth and cause destruction there. After all, explosions = a great movie! Wink
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:15 pm Reply with quote
OjaruFan2 wrote:
BigHeadClan wrote:
It really should have been more of a coming of age story of a young hunter who learns about the balance of the world and living in harmony with it.

I agree. I guess the reason why they went with the "human from Earth gets transported to another world" plot is so that the monsters could transport to Earth and cause destruction there. After all, explosions = a great movie! Wink

There's a basic rift--Big-ticket software companies want to invest in movies of their iconic game properties, and studio executives, being what YouTube's React Channel calls "Elders", have never heard of the games in their lives.

So, the studios solve that problem by reading a one-paragraph description of the game, finding something that sounds like their own marketable default tentpoles, and filming that:
"'Monster Hunter'--Monsters, and they hunt them...Sounds like a greenlight!"
LightningViper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:14 am Reply with quote
OjaruFan2 wrote:
BigHeadClan wrote:

Add to that the fact that the director is the same one that turned Resident Evil movies into Mary Sue fanfiction featuring his wife, and she is once again featured in this movie, and you see that the story never had a chance of being anything but typical explosive action.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1