• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Fruits Basket Anime Reveals '1st season' Title, New Promo, Visual, Theme Song Artists

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takizawa-Shinzou

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:32 am Reply with quote
lip sync on Kyou looks way off but they have time to fix that. Really disappointed about the theme song artists. Their normal style doesn't seem to fit really well.
Firefly251

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:39 am Reply with quote
sad to see momiji's dub VA is changing (loved the original ones a lot) but am happy to see the main cast (the household) are all returning.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:39 am Reply with quote
The animation looks gorgeous and the Japanese cast sounds fantastic. April can't get here fast enough.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Less than two weeks until the theatrical event, so exciting! I'm loving everyone's voices so far, and it looks like they're really going to nail the spirit of the manga.

Looks like the composer is Masaru Yokoyama based on the end credits in the original PV, who has done the music for Your Lie in April, Scum's Wish, Fate/Apocrypha, and a bunch of other series.
hooliganj

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm still not sure how good an adaptation this will be without Akitaro Daichi at the helm. That promo doesn't show anything interesting, and even has some sloppy composition work. The digital smoke effect is especially bizarre. Perhaps these things will be fixed, but the show's only a few weeks from airing, so the early episodes should be ready by now...

Also definitely going to miss Ritsuko Okazaki's original theme songs (RIP).

I don't want to be too down on this project. It will be great to finally have the entire story. But I've always preferred the 2001 anime to the portion of the manga that it covered. By contrast, this seems like it's going to be a very straightforward translation, and may end up being the 3rd best version of the story.
Wuickpa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:17 pm Reply with quote
If only this adaptation could fix the queerbaiting from the manga... My teenage self who had just discovered she was into girls too was so disappointed when all the queer hints ended up with "lol, just kidding, everyone is in a straight relationship".
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:00 pm Reply with quote
My favourite trailer so far though I was hoping we would get a dubbed trailer too.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:50 pm Reply with quote
hooliganj wrote:
I'm still not sure how good an adaptation this will be without Akitaro Daichi at the helm. That promo doesn't show anything interesting, and even has some sloppy composition work. The digital smoke effect is especially bizarre. Perhaps these things will be fixed, but the show's only a few weeks from airing, so the early episodes should be ready by now...

Also definitely going to miss Ritsuko Okazaki's original theme songs (RIP).

I don't want to be too down on this project. It will be great to finally have the entire story. But I've always preferred the 2001 anime to the portion of the manga that it covered. By contrast, this seems like it's going to be a very straightforward translation, and may end up being the 3rd best version of the story.

With respect, I don't think there was ever a chance if Daichi reprising his role as director (what with sexual harassment accusations).

I'm personally quite pleased with the PVs we've seen thus far and am excited to see my favorite manga brought to life in full.
Mocha Shiori

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Ahhhhh, I can't wait~!
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Takizawa-Shinzou wrote:
Really disappointed about the theme song artists. Their normal style doesn't seem to fit really well.

Yeah, this is the one strike against the adaptation for me so far. I listened to the tracks referenced in FUNi's tweet and they seem really bland. I don't mind a new direction as that's the premise for this entire endeavor, but I'd prefer it if they aim for something a little more iconic, not "track #34 on my anime karaoke playlist"

Still, withholding final judgement until we see what they've actually done. I love everything else we've gotten for the show.

Wuickpa wrote:
If only this adaptation could fix the queerbaiting from the manga... My teenage self who had just discovered she was into girls too was so disappointed when all the queer hints ended up with "lol, just kidding, everyone is in a straight relationship".

Eugh, tell me about it. Fruits Basket instilled me in so many ways with the confidence to own my queerness (I'm biased as it essentially defined my early adolescence), but I also have to squint pretty hard to look past the bundle of romantic resolutions the series offers, which play down that aspect pretty hard. And it's disappointing for a series that was about the burden of having to conceal one's identity and silently shoulder a secret legacy of familial trauma-- themes which will (er, do) obviously resonate with a large audience for a variety of reasons, but which have the potential to speak with special strength to those of us who recognize the allegory within our own identities and experiences.

Still, I personally would refrain from leaning too heavily into a categorical characterization of its contents as queerbaiting given that, for example, Hatsuharu is canonically bisexual; just because he is in a heterosexual relationship at the end of the series does not discount his real and valid feelings for Yuki, and I think it's important to push back against attitudes of bi-erasure that are often evoked within the media sphere where characters are expected to present as either gay or straight dependent upon who they are shown or implied to be sleeping with. Momiji and Ritsu are likewise depicted as selectively applying gendered markers in a way that makes me happy (in Ritsu's case, I think it's cool that he ends up with Mitsuru, as I fully support straight men wearing dresses! and I think the development, maybe unintentionally, breaks down a lot of harmful stereotypes), so that serves as an important reminder to me that queer rep isn't always about sexual orientation. But then-- *heavy sigh*-- I have to totally agree with you when it comes to Hana. I think it's clear that Takaya has a thing for pairing younger women with older men (to an extent that I think there are going to be some other tough conversations about...certain developments in the story, given the present climate) but Hana is my gay icon and I basically just don't acknowledge the canon when it comes to the conclusion of her arc. I mean, what else can you do. Mad
hooliganj

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
With respect, I don't think there was ever a chance if Daichi reprising his role as director (what with sexual harassment accusations).

I'm personally quite pleased with the PVs we've seen thus far and am excited to see my favorite manga brought to life in full.
Even beyond that, Takaya-sensei has already expressed that this adaptation is only moving forward if nobody from the original staff is involved. There was never a chance of getting a complete adaptation from Daichi.

I may just be overly pessimistic because the new director, Yoshihide Ibata, is not someone I'm excited to see in charge. He's worked on a lot of shows, but he's only been in charge of a couple of adaptations nobody's really heard of, one episode of an OVA I wasn't impressed with, and one really terrible comedy series.

The PVs for Fruits Basket so far haven't shown me anything new by way of style, so I'm expecting one of those adaptations that basically uses the manga as a storyboard, and will probably not make a spectacular TV show.

But that's just my opinion. Watching all the Mappa adaptations of older manga, I've been really impressed with what a good, modern director and staff can add to these stories. But if you preferred the manga to the anime the first time around, this may be perfect for you.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:47 pm Reply with quote
The visuals all look great and the voice cast all sound like perfect fits for the characters they're portraying.

I wonder if "1st season" means this will be a spilt two-cour like SAO: Alicization. That's the only way I see them being able to cover the entire Manga.

I'm curious how long until Funimation releases a dub trailer.
Sobe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:59 pm Reply with quote
That "1st Season" sounds like there will be a gap between the next season(s). :< I can't deal with gaps in anime seasons (binge-watcher here) but I'm happy we get to see Fruba once more.
catandmouse

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:11 am Reply with quote
[quote=But then-- *heavy sigh*-- I have to totally agree with you when it comes to Hana. I think it's clear that Takaya has a thing for pairing younger women with older men (to an extent that I think there are going to be some other tough conversations about...certain developments in the story, given the present climate) but Hana is my gay icon and I basically just don't acknowledge the canon when it comes to the conclusion of her arc. I mean, what else can you do. Mad[/quote]

I was never really happy about where both Hana & Uo's story went, but at least in Hana's case it seemed to have been fixed in fruits basket another.
Zeino

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:53 pm Reply with quote
On the one hand, this looks quite gorgeous and everyone's voices sound pretty fitting from the brief impression we are give. On the hand, aargh, 1st season means a split cour and here I was hoping TMS would take the JoJo route and gives us 39 episodes (I think that would be enough to cover the entire manga) in one go. And just hope we don't have to wait entire year for the second season then. And yeah, the new opening song doesn't hold a candle to For Fruits Basket.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2