• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: His and Her Circumstances Voice Actors Comment on 20th Anniversary Blu-ray Box Set Release

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Levonr

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Wait, the blu-ray will be upscale? Anime hyper
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:38 pm Reply with quote
My body is ready. Amazon.co.jp one is coming with some postcards.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Huh, the Japanese says that they're going to a random frame of the actual original film from when the anime was made. (Since in those days the anime was created by photographing actual cels.) They say of course they can't guarantee what cut someone will get.

Levonr wrote:
Wait, the blu-ray will be upscale? Anime hyper

Considering that, as mentioned, KareKano was done on actual filmed cels and they apparently have some of the original film, it doesn't have to be bad.

The upscaling is going to be done by FORS, who have worked on a lot of other upscaled Blu-Ray boxes, including Card Captor Sakura.
grooven

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:29 pm Reply with quote
This is another show that badly needs a remake, I never cared for the original one bit.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:02 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
The upscaling is going to be done by FORS, who have worked on a lot of other upscaled Blu-Ray boxes, including Card Captor Sakura.

Card Captor Sakura wasn't upscaled. It was telecined from the original 35mm negatives twice, the first in 2k and the second in 4k. When a show is remastered from materials in pristine condition like CCS was, QTec's FORS techonology is able to clean up the picture without removing fine detail, but in Kare Kano's case, it migh have quite a destructive impact depending on what kind of masters they're upscaling the show from. Initial D's first season, for instance, got a FORS remaster after being upscaled from composite video masters, and it looks terrible on Blu-ray.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:08 am Reply with quote
^To add to the FORS comment with another example, almost all of Toei Animation's shows released on Blu-ray have been upscaled by Q-Tec through FORS and have all looked bad because they wipe away all grain causing issues. There's a reason why Discotek is doing their own upscale for the Galaxy Express 999 BDs rather than use the Japanese Blu-ray masters.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:52 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
^To add to the FORS comment with another example, almost all of Toei Animation's shows released on Blu-ray have been upscaled by Q-Tec through FORS and have all looked bad because they wipe away all grain causing issues. There's a reason why Discotek is doing their own upscale for the Galaxy Express 999 BDs rather than use the Japanese Blu-ray masters.

I thought that Discotek started with the Japanese Blu-Ray masters and then artificially added grain back in, which sounds a little different than "doing their own upscale," though it is certainly different (and a lot of work) than just using the Japanese HD release as-is.

Anyway, yes, it matters depending on what source they're starting with for the process and it's a little vague on the Japanese page because I don't believe that the terms that they use precisely distinguish between various types of changing the resolution. Someone else with better familiarity is free to read the page and let us know. They appear to be including random frames from the 35mm that were in storage as bonus in the box sets, so they may be doing more but without details it's difficult to know.

It is a surprisingly inexpensive price for the box set either way.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:43 am Reply with quote
It’s going to be an upscale. Correct me if I’m wrong but I haven’t read anything in description about a new telecine. I’ve got a few FORS (After War Gundam X, Cardcaptor Sakura, and one other I can’t recall without my shelves in front of me) but this one is a different beast. I did a write up about a year ago on my Wordpress account about the new Cardcaptor Sakura master. It’s really something else.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:28 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
I thought that Discotek started with the Japanese Blu-Ray masters and then artificially added grain back in, which sounds a little different than "doing their own upscale," though it is certainly different (and a lot of work) than just using the Japanese HD release as-is.

He's referring to the movies which were HD-scanned by Toei with excessive DNR applied, that's why Discotek added artificial grain to their BDs in the first place so they don't look as bad as their previously-released DVDs and the Japanese BDs did.

As for the new upscale, It's for the TV series because Q-Tec made a mess of things with their upscale for the Japanese releases (as expected since they already had a bad reputation prior to this for screwing up other shows like FLCL & Blue Submarine No. 6) so we're getting a slightly better release for Galaxy Express 999 than what Japan got.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:08 pm Reply with quote
I remember watching Kare Kano 6 years ago after reading an article in a magazine from the early 2000s that I found laying around. The characters, the animation and the story were so good. I especially enjoyed the episode made entirely with paper puppets. But I was really dissapointed that the anime ended in a cliffhanger, I know that the orignal author didn't like the anime but I hope that some day a new version will be made.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:59 am Reply with quote
King Records release a promotional video showing some of the upscaled footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eyr9S9M6SgY&feature=youtu.be

Despite the slight smeariness and grain removal, it doesn't look as bad as Initial D, so the SD masters were probably not composite.
Shwiggie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Despite its flaws, this is still one of my all-time favorite series. After wishing for years that it had been continued, after having read the manga that followed the show I believe it was probably better off ending as it did. Just wish I'd picked up the first 8 volumes while I was at it....

As far as I'm concerned, the Right Stuf release is still the greatest ever stateside anime release. So much love and attention went into it from the adaptation to the production, and the subtitling is a triumph of DVD authoring.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1