• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Netflix's Knights of the Zodiac: Saint Seiya CG Anime Debuts Worldwide on July 19

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Yes! Can't wait! Very Happy
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Inb4 all the people screaming bloody murder because Shun is now a girl. Going to have some fun reading the rants.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:
Inb4 all the people screaming bloody murder because Shun is now a girl. Going to have some fun reading the rants.

they will all be in Spanish,anyway.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:16 pm Reply with quote
johnnysasaki wrote:
they will all be in Spanish,anyway.

Yep. Mexican community is peeved.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Pass.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:01 am Reply with quote

Most of the complains are about Seiya's voice actor, I mean, Jesús Barrero was both Seiya and one of the best VA on LATAM, filling his shoes it's hard but damn, the new guy on the trailer sucks and if they didn't "Fix" him for the final product people it's gonna rage.

Shun's gender change has the quite valid complain of relinquishing the series of a non-traditional masculinity, the consensus it's that if they wanted to turn somebody in a girl Ikki would have been a more interesting option and choosing the less aggressive of the Saints it's both lazy and stereotyping.

I am on the camp of Hyoga being the better option, a girl being the "Cool/Calm" one it's quite rare to see or changing the plot to give Shaina a more relevant role.
Sergorn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:48 am Reply with quote
Would have been a good opportunity to post te Japanese Voiced trailer too Wink
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rvq0Kba-LKQ

-Sergorn
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:25 am Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Most of the complains are about Seiya's voice actor, I mean, Jesús Barrero was both Seiya and one of the best VA on LATAM, filling his shoes it's hard but damn, the new guy on the trailer sucks and if they didn't "Fix" him for the final product people it's gonna rage.

Shun's gender change has the quite valid complain of relinquishing the series of a non-traditional masculinity, the consensus it's that if they wanted to turn somebody in a girl Ikki would have been a more interesting option and choosing the less aggressive of the Saints it's both lazy and stereotyping.

I am on the camp of Hyoga being the better option, a girl being the "Cool/Calm" one it's quite rare to see or changing the plot to give Shaina a more relevant role.

The other option is to not change anything, because it's not an issue. This is why American adaptions of Japanese anime always fail. They have this urge to fix what isn't broken. It's not an issue at all that the team is all male. The evidence is the massive success of the original Japanese series. Perhaps in America it is an issue, but in the rest of the world it is not.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:36 am Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

That one's a no-brainer. Startalents very rarely are as good as pro VAs, and after Barrero's death, no one has a similar voice to him. Maybe Alfonso Obregón, but even so it'd be too weird. Irwin Daayán voiced Seiya for the Hades chapter, IIRC, but let's face it, it'd be as weird as hearing anyone else voicing him. Meh.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:39 am Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:

The other option is to not change anything, because it's not an issue. This is why American adaptions of Japanese anime always fail. They have this urge to fix what isn't broken. It's not an issue at all that the team is all male. The evidence is the massive success of the original Japanese series. Perhaps in America it is an issue, but in the rest of the world it is not.

Even if that were true and no one outside America cared (obviously it's not, America isn't the only country with women in it Rolling Eyes ) the US is by far Netflix's biggest market, and this remake is designed primarily to introduce Saint Seiya to the US audience. The idea of increasing the female presence in Seiya is a good one.

That said, I do think it was a mistake to change Shun's gender when there were much better options available. They should have just given a larger role to a pre-existing female character. Making Shun a woman comes off as Netflix being afraid to have an animated character who might be interpreted as gay, something they've had issues with in the past.
Nodz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:21 am Reply with quote

Yes, it looks totally consistent to have Shun as a girl while other female saints have to wear a mask. So will Marin and Shaina be representated without a mask? If June appears, will she be in love with Shun? What will Aioros' legacy say? "Shonen to Shoujo"?
Shun was depicted to be sensitive and not eager to fight, so to make him a girl because of this seems a little offensive. Cannot a man be sensitive?
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:40 am Reply with quote
I'm cautiously optimistic. I do not mind Shun being a girl in this version, I'm more worried if Toei is going to tone down the violence of the original anime and manga, beacuse the original series could get very violent. Also, I hope that the actor who voices Seiya in the latin-american version could improve a little bit, his voice in the trailer didn't sound very good, I still can't believe that Netflix chose a celebrity to voice Seiya, his original dub actor passed away but there were other actors who voiced Seiya in other shows and movies that could have replaced him.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:37 am Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
I'm cautiously optimistic. I do not mind Shun being a girl in this version, I'm more worried if Toei is going to tone down the violence of the original anime and manga, beacuse the original series could get very violent. Also, I hope that the actor who voices Seiya in the latin-american version could improve a little bit, his voice in the trailer didn't sound very good, I still can't believe that Netflix chose a celebrity to voice Seiya, his original dub actor passed away but there were other actors who voiced Seiya in other shows and movies that could have replaced him.

The series stopped being violent after the 80's.Don't expect to be different here
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:04 am Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

I'm also in the Hyoga camp but only because if the gender change had to be done, why not give it to the character that wouldn't get as much heat from the general public as it would have with everyone else?

As for Ikki, that's debatable to me but only depending on how Shun would act around him in this adaptation.
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:21 am Reply with quote
I don't know why anyone would change a successful story that doesn't have an accessible existing adaptation. The original anime is an '80s weekly Toei show with plenty of warts. I would've liked a new adaptation direct from Kuramada's manga.

The best part about this Netflix series being a weird "modernized" CG co-pro is that it means a proper adaptation isn't off the table. Hopefully it'll actually be a drawn take.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2