• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon: The Super Live Comes To America

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RegSuzaku

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Which begs the question: what Japanese anime, manga or video game adaptation would you most like to see live on stage?

My favorite already is, I would like to see ANN cover it more!
There was an article posted that Tsukino Empire was announced, but nothing about the cast visuals, and nothing about any of the three episodes of SQS. There was a cast announcement article for Ivesta but not a visuals one.

Anyway, yeah, Tsukino Empire was the most amazing thing I have ever seen, and I feel like it validates all the things about portrayal of male characters, "slash" stories, and things like that that, things that even in 2019 mainstream fans will tell you those things will only ever happen in fanfic. Well, they happen in stage plays.

I'll be honest, though, I haven't seen Touken Ranbu's stage plays or musicals, so those might be the same, I really need to get on that.

But anyway, Tsukipro and TouRabu are doing amazing things with stage plays, and Western fans just ignore them.

I hope after Sailor Moon and HeroAca make Western fans wake up to how wonderful stage plays are, then the world will realize how amazing Tsukipro and TouRabu are.
Shar Aznabull

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious as to how this works, are there subtitles projected somewhere or since this is a pretty "for the fans" thing is it expected that you'll be familiar enough with the source material to get by?
shinster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Shar Aznabull wrote:
I'm curious as to how this works, are there subtitles projected somewhere

As far as the Sailor Moon 2.5D presentations in DC/NYC go, I can tell you that there were English subtitles displayed on two small screens in front. And, they added speech bubbles (in English) in the projection-mapped background. Notably, the creators reduced the dialogues drastically (compared to original Japanese presentations) to avoid non-Japanese-speaking audience from referring to the subtitles too much. Smile
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Just wanted to point out for younger readers of this article that there are some slight factual inaccuracies in this article.

Sailor Moon Musicals (albeit with male actors included) had a long and successful run from 1993 to 2005 before being put on "hiatus". They were ran by Bandai Visual. A total of 4 different actresses played the titular role of Sailor Moon.

Details on Wikipedia here -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sailor_Moon_musicals

They returned in 2013 for the as the wikipedia puts it "20th Anniversary Stage" with an all female cast finishing in 2017 with Le Mouvement Finale. These were overseen and ran by Nelke Planning.

Last year saw

- The Super Live
- Nogizaka 46 Sailor Moon Musical.

It was announced last year that there is a new "powered up" musical due in 2019 - but as of yet no news on if's / when.

At the announcement for the Usagi birthday party on 30th June it was mentioned that Akiko Kosaka who was a song writer for the old musicals will be in attendance. That in combination with the fact that old style musical songs like La Soldier / Fire featured in last year's musicals suggests that she might be coming back as main song writer going forward from this years musical.
everapril

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:12 pm Reply with quote
I saw it in DC it was great! Stage shows and musicals have been a part of anime fandom that’s always seemed so out of reach, it was amazing to finally get to experience it. The crowd was so enthusiastic and we all had a great vibe going. Before the show started two fans in the audience dressed in a tuxedo and white gown got engaged and the whole audience cheered. The actors were fantastic and they seemed so excited. The actress playing Usagi gave a sweet speech at the end of the show in English, which was so nice of her.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:34 pm Reply with quote
While I'm glad to see some Sailor Moon stage show out in the US and I'm happy for the Moonies who got to go see it live, I still hope we can see official subtitled DVD releases of the classic Bandai Seramyu shows. They've been on DVD in Japan for a long time but region locked and without English subtitles, so there's never been an official way for NA Moonies to own the musicals. I would also love to one day see the live action toku Sailor Moon licensed which seems to be the one part of the franchise the anniversary has largely forgotten about.
Chichiryuutei

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Learn about it to late to go. Hope I get another chance soon.

As for which musical I'd like to see... Bring us REVUE STARLIGHT!
getumbuck

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:56 pm Reply with quote
I remember seeing a lot of people wearing Sailor Moon shirts and costumes in NYC, this past Saturday; so I thought something was up. I thought it was just another convention at the time. Had no idea they were actually doing a musical.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I would also love to one day see the live action toku Sailor Moon licensed which seems to be the one part of the franchise the anniversary has largely forgotten about.

This!

With there being more live-action Toku coming out here with Super Sentai (including pre-Zyu seasons with Jetman and now Fiveman), Garo and a Metal Hero show in Juspion (still waiting Discotek), all we need now is someone to get PGSM & Cutie Honey: The Live and I'll buy multiple copies of the former if that ever happens because it was so good.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:31 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:

This!

With there being more live-action Toku coming out here with Super Sentai (including pre-Zyu seasons with Jetman and now Fiveman), Garo and a Metal Hero show in Juspion (still waiting Discotek), all we need now is someone to get PGSM & Cutie Honey: The Live and I'll buy multiple copies of the former if that ever happens because it was so good.
I think for a long time it was just assumed that NA Moonies only cared about the anime and manga and the live action versions were more niche but I think the success of this musical shows there's a bigger audience for the live action versions of Sailor Moon than was previously assumed.
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:02 am Reply with quote
I think increasing numbers of foreign attendance at the 20th Anniversary stage musicals along with feedback went Osabu went to cons in the states had a large part to play in getting them to take the Super Live show to the states.

The fact that it was seemingly sold out and well ahead of time and good patronage of the goods stalls has proven beyond doubt that taking the show out to America is worth the commercial risk and hopefully we will see more of this in the future and/or they take a punt on a home video release.
shinster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:29 pm Reply with quote
gumbaloom wrote:
Just wanted to point out for younger readers of this article that there are some slight factual inaccuracies in this article.

Sailor Moon Musicals (albeit with male actors included) had a long and successful run from 1993 to 2005 before being put on "hiatus". They were ran by Bandai Visual. A total of 4 different actresses played the titular role of Sailor Moon.

Details on Wikipedia here -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sailor_Moon_musicals

You're right in that the DC/NYC shows weren't the first Sailor Moon musicals ever, but the article is actually talking about the first-ever US performance of a 2.5D musical produced by Japan 2.5D Musical Association and Nelke Planning (among others), and this relatively new genre in general. Here's a link to a Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2.5D_musical
Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1