• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Police Are Irritated by Japanese Public's 'Flippant' Reaction to Pierre Taki's Drug Crime

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sobe

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Rolling Eyes Moving on too quickly or too slowly. Twitter traffic cops played by real police. Laughing They're like an uptight classroom representative who is straight-laced to a severe fault.

Last edited by Sobe on Tue May 21, 2019 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
meiam

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Wow on reading the headline I though this was meant to be taken as "The police think people overreacted considering how minor the crime was"... guess I couldn't have been more wrong! Laughing

They are aware that drug are getting decriminalize all over the place and things are doing pretty well?
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:27 pm Reply with quote
I have liked the tweet, meaning the Japanese police now hate me. Thank you, ANN
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:34 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Wow on reading the headline I though this was meant to be taken as "The police think people overreacted considering how minor the crime was"... guess I couldn't have been more wrong! Laughing

They are aware that drug are getting decriminalize all over the place and things are doing pretty well?

All societies have something or other that they view as so horrible that every little hint of it must be stamped out at all costs, and it's basically impossible to reason with them on it. Usually (but not always) it is at least somewhat an actual problem, but blown out of all proportion by some major event. For Japan and many other Asian countries, it's drugs. The "why" in this case is the Opium Wars.
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:22 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
I have liked the tweet, meaning the Japanese police now hate me. Thank you, ANN
This is one thing I am wondering, and one thing the Japanese police don't realise: how many of those likes are from outside Japan? Twitter is worldwide, so it wouldn't surprise me if most of those likes are from outside Japan where the attitude is more relaxed and the culture different.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:41 pm Reply with quote
He used drugs, so he's not allowed to smile in public again? WTF?

It's not enough that he was punished and he lost his jobs?

I really hope that all those likes are from Japanese fans who support him and could care less about what the cops think!
Vent

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 11:07 pm Reply with quote
There's literally nothing that brings me more delight than "Japanese police irritated people don't care about drug offenses"

except maybe "Japanese police fired en masse for corruption and incompetence"
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
He used drugs, so he's not allowed to smile in public again? WTF?

The Japanese authorities attitude towards celebrities caught using drugs is very 1984: they make a public statement saying they betrayed everyone and are very sorry for it, get edited out of any works they've been involved with when practical (and said works disappeared when not), stay disappeared, and if they ever appear again it's to show how sorry they still are for having betrayed everyone. Yes, it's an overreaction. No, a bunch of people liking a Tweet isn't likely to change this.
shabu shabu

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Raven Raide wrote:
This is one thing I am wondering, and one thing the Japanese police don't realise: how many of those likes are from outside Japan? Twitter is worldwide, so it wouldn't surprise me if most of those likes are from outside Japan where the attitude is more relaxed and the culture different.

You can click on the Tweet and see who liked it. Yes there are many foreigners. There has been an effort by foreigners to try to push drugs onto Japan over the past few years. But please understand that people enjoying Denki Groove does not mean they support Taki-san's use of drugs.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 11:58 pm Reply with quote
shabu shabu wrote:
... please understand that people enjoying Denki Groove does not mean they support Taki-san's use of drugs.

I know that and you know that, it's the Japanese police who need to understand that!

Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
Yes, it's an overreaction. No, a bunch of people liking a Tweet isn't likely to change this.

Or it *could* be a sign that average Japanese people aren't as unforgiving towards people who have used drugs as Japanese cops are, which would be a good thing.
jl07045

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 1:27 am Reply with quote
Incidentally Japan is among the countries with very low drug use.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 2:27 am Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
Incidentally Japan is among the countries with very low drug use.

I bet they don't have to see addicts shooting up on the curb while going through the McDonalds drive-thru like we do here in Texas. I don't think us Americans have any ground to be criticizing another country when it comes to how they handle drug abuse. Maybe let's back off and let Japan do their thing. It's apparently working for them.
tomdean

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 3:12 am Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
Maybe let's back off and let Japan do their thing. It's apparently working for them.

Can't agree more with this. I find it more irritating for people from other countries to jump ontheir own high horses(as if they are themselves some kind of moral/social God) and criticize other countries. In this case, the Japanese have votes, free/open internet and democracy. If they want to change, it's up to them, surely?
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 5:07 am Reply with quote
Code:
His image has even been removed from a manhole in Fujieda City in Shizuoka Prefecture,

You know you have hit rock bottom when your image is removed from a manhole cover.
configspace

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 5:58 am Reply with quote
If they want to fight the drug war, they should start with alcohol and tobacco first.

Smoking drives up their health care costs greatly and they've got enough problems already caring for an aging and dying population. Of course that would mean having the Japanese government actually get out of the tobacco business.

Then you have salary men getting drunk everyday making fools of themselves, inebriated on the streets and misbehaving to coworkers, whose behavior society turns a blind eye to. If you want to talk about drugs causing societal problems, alcohol is the one to start with.

Of course this is just to point out the hypocrisy in drug laws. Given free will and personal responsibility no one should be pointing guns tell you what to do with yourself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3