• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Square Enix Reveals Final Fantasy VIII Remastered Game

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anddo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:51 pm Reply with quote
It's been available on the PS3 digital store for 10 years. Cut it out with the goddamn ports.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:56 pm Reply with quote
anddo! wrote:
It's been available on the PS3 digital store for 10 years. Cut it out with the goddamn ports.

And it's been on available on the PS1 for 20 years! How dare they!!
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:02 pm Reply with quote
i've been waiting for this one!, having 7,9,10,10-2,and 12 for the switch felt weird..and not too mention that this is my favorite FF and 1st one i ever played
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:03 pm Reply with quote
anddo! wrote:

Trophy hunters like myself will buy the remaster.
Chaotic-Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:14 pm Reply with quote
anddo! wrote:

I know right, how dare they do something fans have been asking for? It's despicable. Really though, you can just ignore it. It's not like another port actually makes any difference to your day.
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:30 pm Reply with quote
anddo! wrote:

There is a difference between ports and remastered. Notice the graphics are cleaner. I can make out Squall face. A port is what we technically have on the PS3.

Also this is literally the one FF remaster I wanted out of maybe 9. So I'm excited more for this then I am for 7.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:29 pm Reply with quote
anddo! wrote:

Jeez Capcom better not announce that Resident Evil 4 is getting PS5 or Xbox Scarlett ports I hate to see what you might be forced to do.
Ataru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:31 pm Reply with quote
AntiKuro wrote:
Notice the graphics are cleaner. I can make out Squall face.

I don't know what you are talking about. He was Leo DiCaprio of 90's video games.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
IceKirby

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:34 pm Reply with quote
AntiKuro wrote:
Notice the graphics are cleaner. I can make out Squall face.

Having replayed the PS1 version not long ago, I can really notice that. I still remember the shock from going from that cool opening movie to that very low-poly models with highly pixelated textures when the gameplay starts.
anddo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Chaotic-Overlord wrote:
anddo! wrote:

I know right, how dare they do something fans have been asking for? It's despicable. Really though, you can just ignore it. It's not like another port actually makes any difference to your day.

There is a huge difference. The more these lazy companies push all their R&D on digital ports that have been available for 10+ years on PS3 the less original games I get This entire generation has been littered and flooded with ports.

Ports are an excuse not to create original games.

We've had literally hundreds of PS1 ports already released on the PS3's stores ready to buy at low prices. In 2013 Sony Corporation announces that the PS4 will not be backwards compatible with any PS3 games, even digital ports from older consoles. What happens? They release them again on the PS4. Wasting valuable R&D reporting everything all over again and using it as an excuse to either take this entire 2010's decade to release a legitimate new entry in a dying series, or not at all. (Let alone develop new IP's)

Ports legitimately killed this entire generation. The PS4 was a complete and utter waste of time. The PS3 had the excuse that it was the first time those games were being ported on a digital platform and by all means they should have transferred over to the PS4 for pre-existing owners or new buyers, but instead valuable R&D was wasted on porting old games all over again for the rest of the generation. That means that since 2006, video game developers have been porting the exact same games from a decade prior twice (again starting from 2013). No wonder kids today are playing rated M games like Fortnite and GTA, all the once prevalent childhood franchises are MIA because their IP owners are too busy making ports.

Kingdom Hearts HD was already available on PS3 and ported again to PS4. Then we get even more KH ports of the spinoff titles. THEN we get KH3 in 2019.

Mega Man 1-10 all available on the PS3 store, again ported into the Legacy Collection. THEN we get Mega Man 11 in 2018.

Devil May Cry, Final Fantasy, Castlevania, etc. The ports go on and on and now the ever content low denomination consumer is clamoring for even more ports on the Switch, the ultimate port machine. It's absolutely pathetic. Ports are a blight on the video game industry and I'm more than happy to hear that the PS5 is backwards compatible so that they'll lose the excuse, stop wasting time and money and put it towards new games instead.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:47 pm Reply with quote
I want additional content, not the same experience. And get rid of the Draw system already! There's a reason it only lasted a single game.
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:21 am Reply with quote
anddo! wrote:
There is a huge difference. The more these lazy companies push all their R&D on digital ports that have been available for 10+ years on PS3 the less original games I get This entire generation has been littered and flooded with ports.

Pots don't take up as much dev resources as you think. They are in fact really minuscule in comparison.

And I got bad news for you... the reason we aren't getting as many games as the previous generation is because games are taking much longer to make. Not because the devs are lazier or looking for cash-grabs.

This will only get worse next gen as expectations for graphics fidelity, animation, texture, details, level sizes, open world will only grow. And tools to ease this aren't just popping up from the ground regularly.

So to fill in the gaps, ports help; especially for smaller devs who need to make some income to pay their employees and keep the shop running until their next title releases. The same is true of larger studios. Average development for games is currently 3-4 years for major ones. At least 2+ years for mid-tier.

Also ports are a quick and efficient way for studios to shift their engines to new hardware and make sure everything is ticking correctly. Which is something they have to do anyway. So if a re-release of the title is viable to garner more sales from people who didn't play it before or want to play it again with improved graphics and performance, then it just makes all the sense in the world to fully port and re-release the product.

Also the PS4 was hurt by lack of BC, which is why many PS3 games also had to be ported to continue to bring in revenue. This will be alleviated with PS5 being BC with PS4.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:26 am Reply with quote
anddo! wrote:

There are people who legit never had a PS3 (or PS1), and never will. This will allow them to play it. This one port is getting it on four new platforms. So it was available on one platform for ten years, then another platform for another ten years, and now it's on four more platforms.

I do understand how getting a bunch of ports can be annoying, especially as that was so common in the PS3/360 to PS4/One transition (although the post above mine notes the reasons for that). Some of those really were pretty dumb. But if there's any situation where it makes sense, it's this one.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:41 am Reply with quote
anddo! wrote:
There is a huge difference. The more these lazy companies push all their R&D on digital ports that have been available for 10+ years on PS3 the less original games

Yeah companies most definitely do not spend "all" their resources on designing ports. If they did most ports wouldn't turn out like Arkham Knight on the PC or Pac-Man on the Atari 2600.

anddo! wrote:

Actually no ports are typically designed to increase sales of a game that's already been released while actually enabling people to play a game they may have never gotten to play the game originally do to being on a platform they didn't own. If you want to know why publishers and developers don't create more original titles it's hella complicated but it most definitely has little to do with ports.

anddo! wrote:
We've had literally hundreds of PS1 ports already released on the PS3's stores ready to buy at low prices. In 2013 Sony Corporation announces that the PS4 will not be backwards compatible with any PS3 games, even digital ports from older consoles. What happens? They release them again on the PS4.

You do know this is also on the Xbox One & Switch two platforms that are made by companies that made previous systems that never had any version Final Fantasy 8 right?

You know just like the X & XII remasters?

And even if you want to argue about VII being available for digital download on the PS3 two things to note

1. Not everyone had a PS3,Vita, or a PC
2. This is a remaster and not a straight up PSOne or PC port of the original game.

anddo! wrote:
Ports legitimately killed this entire generation. The PS4 was a complete and utter waste of time.

Yeah if ports didn't kill any other generation prior to this one I don't how in the world they accomplished this in the modern era.

anddo! wrote:
but instead valuable R&D was wasted on porting old games all over again for the rest of the generation.

You keep saying this despite the fact this isn't true and is based on little more than personal opinion.

anddo! wrote:
That means that since 2006, video game developers have been porting the exact same games from a decade prior twice (again starting from 2013). No wonder kids today are playing rated M games like Fortnite

Fornite isn't M-Rated fam. They also play Fornite because it has elements they find appealing not because they hate ports as much as you weirdly do. The game is also notoriously unpolished to the point it's still in Early Access nearly two years after launch

anddo! wrote:
and GTA,

You do know that GTAV was originally released for last gen systems right? Which means you just invalidated your own argument.

anddo! wrote:
all the once prevalent childhood franchises are MIA

Mario?
Sonic?
Donkey Kong?
Final Fantasy?
Doom?
Civilization?

Which they're still making games for in the modern era?

anddo! wrote:
Kingdom Hearts HD was already available on PS3 and ported again to PS4. Then we get even more KH ports of the spinoff titles. THEN we get KH3 in 2019.

Yeah Kingdom Hearts 3 coming out in 2019 instead of coming out at any point during the last console gen had "nothing" to do with Square making ports but them doing a lot of weird shit......like trying to do whatever it was they were trying to do with FFXIII and the original version of FFXIV which was such a disaster it had to be rebooted.

anddo! wrote:
Ports are a blight on the video game industry and I'm more than happy to hear that the PS5 is backwards compatible so that they'll lose the excuse, stop wasting time and money and put it towards new games instead.

Yeah new games you'll complain for some arbitrary reason and insist how better the game would've been had they did this instead of doing that. Or just take the nihilist route and argue they should've never made the game at all

Why don't you just go back to complaining about people calling JJBA part 5 Vento Aureo instead of Golden Wind.
anddo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:23 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

You do know this is also on the Xbox One & Switch two platforms that are made by companies that made previous systems that never had any version Final Fantasy 8 right?

Love how you completely sidestep my Switch comment. That was epic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2