• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: High School DxD Hero BD+DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Rias's Character wasn't neutered. It was made more like the LN because her original anime incarnation added lots of Akeno's characteristics to her that didn't make sense. She's supposed o be very childish despite the upper class air she has about herself, and its made much more apparent and closer to her original character in Hero then in the TNK produced seasons.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:34 pm Reply with quote
^
I see. Even knowing that, I still consider it a downgrade. She has a lot more character the way she was portrayed in the earlier series, and I still maintain that she comes off as Just another harem girl" this way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:15 pm Reply with quote
I still haven't finished Born, but I did hear the negative things about its last few episodes. So should I just watch that to episode 9 and then start Hero? Or just finish it out?
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:23 pm Reply with quote
^ IMO, you should watch up to Ep 9, then start Hero. OTOH, the end of BorN isn't *horrible*, just disappointing, so you might want to watch it at least once since you might end up liking it.
Stelman257

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Rias was deeefinitely a downgrade this season, the first season absolutely made her far more interesting and likable with the apparent added “Akeno-isms”, that gave her a charismatic and authoritative flair that really helped her stand out from not only the other characters in the show, but also from basically every other harem lead girl.

However I do have to acknowledge that as the seasons went on, especially season 3, more and more of this was lost as the writing for her character inevitably began slipping back into the Light Novels. In fact season 1 and maybe parts of season 2 were the last time I was super liking Rias. Since then Xenovia, Asia, Akeno, and most of the male cast have been much more fun to watch. Jamie Marchi’s performance as her is the biggest tell sign too. Originally being very distinct and even a little too jarringly different from Yoko Hikasa’s, but ultimately still a great fit in its own right. Now it feels very restrained and very in line with what Hikasa is doing.
I don’t think it’s all a bad thing though, and hey Rias (and Akeno and Koneko) barely got any screentime this season anyway, because they wanted to focus on other characters, and the depression was hitting her hard this season, and it don’t care how cool you are. But now that this character arc is over I hope she can regain the charisma that made her so likable back in the first season.

As for the dub script, yeah it’s a little rough at times ain’t it aha? It’s almost all Issei who’s dialogue they mess with, and I usually dig it a bunch, but this season threw in memes and a lot more dickheadedness from him that it did become distracting. Seasons 1 and 2 were the best with it, and it seems like since then whoever is writing it is trying to mimic the crazyness Jamie Marchi came up with for the first 2 and just not quite getting it. Funny enough Jamie Marchi herself wrote bits of season 3 and episode 0 of season 4 and they were arguably a step above the rest. (Not that she’s a perfect writer or anything, and has gotten flak for reasons before, but her style fit DxD really well)

Hopefully the show gets a season 5! Ending it with my best man Sairaorg being absolutely beautiful is fine by me, but it is hard to say goodbye~
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:26 am Reply with quote
So is the mini light novel included best read before, after or during the series?
DLH112

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
n the process, some content from the original manga was skipped over

shouldn't this say light novel, not manga?
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:00 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
So is the mini light novel included best read before, after or during the series?

I'd watch episode 0 first. You can read the LN at any point after that and it will make full sense.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:27 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Covnam wrote:

I'd watch episode 0 first. You can read the LN at any point after that and it will make full sense.

I'd agree with that since it expands on a particular bit of that episode, and re-characterizes it a bit more than just something goofy that happens. That said, I read it afterwards, and it was fine. There wasn't anything I'd consider crucial information.

One thing that I thought was cool about the extra features was that it seems like the people at Funimation have fun when they're working on this series, which is probably a helpful attitude to have with a fanservice show.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Covnam wrote:

Greed1914 wrote:

I'd agree with that since it expands on a particular bit of that episode, and re-characterizes it a bit more than just something goofy that happens. That said, I read it afterwards, and it was fine. There wasn't anything I'd consider crucial information.

One thing that I thought was cool about the extra features was that it seems like the people at Funimation have fun when they're working on this series, which is probably a helpful attitude to have with a fanservice show.

Thank you for the info =D

I want to re-watch the first 3 seasons before watching my copy, but good to know I can look forward to it.
GoldenCrimson2020

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:21 pm Reply with quote
I personally liked season 4 really close to the light novel just left out some small details from the perfect adaption

Hope season 4 did good enough to green light more adaptions maybe get the dragon war arc and Issei dragon deification.

Season 5 vols 11 and 12 lots of actions and more Kuroka

Must support the anime and light novel
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Man, it’s already been a year since this finished airing? Reading the episode reviews didn’t feel that long ago, but here we are. It’s quite nice to hear about the extras provided in this release, but only if I had the money to acquire it myself. Sad Just like last year, I don’t feel the same way for some minor things as the review does, but I enjoyed this review overall. Hopefully, a season 5 can get green-lit not too long from now.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:00 am Reply with quote
I believe the light novel sampler they have in the box-set is the only time any of the light novels have gotten an official release in Eng. With a harem franchise this popular, it is kind of surprising we have not gotten official Eng. release yet!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1