• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst Anime of Spring 2019

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Best: Fruits Basket - This much anticipated reboot is not spectacular yet, but it has so far delivered good stuff.

Runner up: Attack on Titan 3, part 2 - Even with its controversial revelations, this was another solid entry in the franchise.

Least good: Why the Hell are You Here, Teacher!? - I actually liked some moments, but at the end of the day it is a horny, dumb show.

Honorable mention: Cinderella Nine - There is not much particularity great about this CGDCT baseball show, but I found it very charming and endearing.
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Best: Sarazanmai - i expected a lot and Ikuhara delivered, though not entirely what i expected...which made it even better.

Runner-Up: Attack on Titan - they actually managed to squeeze everything important into 10 episodes, really hyped for the final season now.

Worst: Fairy Gone - this show failed to make me care about any of the characters or the plot, it didn't even manage to decently annoy me, it was just very, very boring.
scowler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Best: Demon Slayer
Runner-up: Sarazanmai
Worst: Fairy Gone
Honorable Mention: Gundam the Origin (I think it works better in TV serialized format, and lots of great new OP/EDs.
SonicFanA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Best: RobiHachi: This show was just a fun good time. I wish more people watched it.

Runner Up: NAMUAMIDABUTSU! (I love Touken Ranbu Hanamaru so I knew I would love this show)

Runner Up 2: Sarazanmai: To be honest I only watch Ikuhara anime because I feel like i have to but this show fell within my tastes when it comes to anime so I paid more attention to it. I really enjoyed it and look forward to buying on Blu-ray.

Honorable Mention: Midnight Occult Civil Servants and King of Prism

Worst: I guess Fairy Gone
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Thanks again to Rebecca for continuing to pound the drum for GeGeGe no Kitarou despite its puzzling lack of traction among Western audiences. The spring episodes were, on the whole, weaker than those in the first season, but any series that can show an episode (#20) condemning the Japanese educational system for white-washing the country's role in World War II deserves all the praise it can get. And, remember, this is shown in Japan on Sunday mornings at 9 am, not in some late-night slot.

I've been rewatching the series from the beginning and remain amazed at what constitutes "family fare." Some of the most powerful episodes, like the "Ghost Train" episode (#8), draw directly from Mizuki Shigeru's work and convey his deep concerns about his native country. Others, like #20, that are anime-original are excellent tributes to Mizuki by Toei's writing staff.

Toei clearly invested some substantial resources to make this 50th Anniversary version of Kitarou. Anyone who thinks Toei is just some factory that turns out second-rate work needs to watch this show.

Other than Dororo, there was little that held my attention during the spring. I did enjoy both Kakegururi XX and Aggretsuko 2 when they appeared on Netflix. MIX has been amusing enough, but it's not in the same league as Cross Game.

I'm worried that Amazon seems to have nothing in the pipeline to follow Dororo. Amazon has been one of best sources for high-quality anime over the past couple of years. It would be sad if they have decided to leave the field.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:22 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I'm worried that Amazon seems to have nothing in the pipeline to follow Dororo.

They have Vinland Saga.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
seeing Yumeko (who I remain convinced is the Actual Devil) bluff

I find this comment very fun because I read/watched umineko way before kakegurui even existed and yumeko is identical to umineko's lucifer, even up to the colour scheme,

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Best easily Rise of the shield hero
Second: /Dororo
Honorable mention Demon Slayer/Mobile suit Gundam: The Origin (only because they didn't get full seasons)
#Synaesthesia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:04 pm Reply with quote
my list:
Best: Sarazanmai
this is the only anime in the last 2 year's I can recall I watched multiple times during it's run (I watched a few eps 5 or 6 times). And let's set the record straight: this was more of a Lapin Track anime than MAPPA, so let's give them some more credit.

runner-up: Demon Slayer
damn what a great first 8 episodes this show had. I just enjoyed this show immensely.

2nd runner-up: Senryu girl
jeez what a wholesome little sort series this was! I loved Eiji and Nanako's relationship, and how they portrayed people with communication problems.

worst: 7 seeds
I barely made it through the first ep. Sloppy direction, terrible characters, 2d animation clashing with the 3d backgrounds... don't watch it.[/b]
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:11 pm Reply with quote
A lot of people are loving on Demon Slayer, and I like it well enough myself, but I kind of wonder if it's only being elevated by its Godlike animation? Like if it had middling animation would anyone even look twice at it? Its plot and characters are pretty bland, and the pacing is too breakneck for my taste, yet I would hang screenshots from this show on my wall because it's just that damn gorgeous.
#Synaesthesia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:15 pm Reply with quote
ThrowMeOut wrote:
A lot of people are loving on Demon Slayer, and I like it well enough myself, but I kind of wonder if it's only being elevated by its Godlike animation? Like if it had middling animation would anyone even look twice at it? Its plot and characters are pretty bland, and the pacing is too breakneck for my taste, yet I would hang screenshots from this show on my wall because it's just that damn gorgeous.

I don't have any problem with this. I'd go as far as saying that animation and overall art style are the two most important qualities in an anime. Things like story and characters are secondary.
Rika Hue

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:27 pm Reply with quote
(Don't lie, the true best show is carole and tuesday. Just wait until it's on Netflix in the west!)

Besides that, I've stuck with bungo stray dogs since 2015 when I started the manga, so bungo stray dogs S3 is automatically best of the season for me.

Runner-ups: Sarazanmai

Honorable mentions: Isekai quartret, senryu girl, Fruits basket, jojo's part 5.

Worst: premiere of afterlost.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:47 pm Reply with quote
ThrowMeOut wrote:

That's how I see it, it's about as original and well executed (in writing) as any of the millions of isekai we get each seasons, but it has good production values. Nothing wrong with that, but does make you wonder what other average anime could be considered a breakthrough hit if they got the production value, or vice versa (looking at you one punch man).
KyokoBestMeguca

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Best: Sarazanmai
I loved every moment of it. It managed to be meaningful and emotionally heavy while making me smile and sing along the whole time.

Runner-Up: JoJo
I've been waiting for this for years, dammit. Even if the King Crimson fight is ridiculous bullshit even by JoJo standards I love it. Part 5 isn't my favorite part of the manga but it looks beautiful in motion and color, and I have to give the cast props for the body-switching part.

Worst: Two Punch Man
This is by far the most disappointing second season I've ever seen. My expectations of J.C. Staff were low, but they managed to make me like the original less in retrospect by showing how truly mediocre OPM is without the phenomenal animation of the first season.

Honorable Mention: Attack on Titan
I always saw AoT as an everyday shounen dressed up with blood and talk of royalty to make it "mature", but now that it plays its hand as honest-to-god propaganda it becomes a lot more interesting to watch and think about.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:19 pm Reply with quote
The best spring show is Demon Slayer while the runner up would be The Helpful Fox Senko-san. The most disappointing show is Fairy gone. I can see that on paper Fairy gone was supposed be a fantastic adventure like the first Indiana Jones movie but the actual show is closer to the most recent Indiana Jones movie.

ThrowMeOut wrote:

The Demon Slayer story is about protecting your family, fighting evil, and the cost of doing what is right instead of what is easy. The basic story model is old but timeless since it strongly resonates with people. I think it would have been fairly popular even with a more typical production. Also Demon Slayer has some unique ideas to it and the story being set in 1910's Japan gives it a unique feel since that is a time period that is rarely used in anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3