• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mari Okada's O Maidens in Your Savage Season Manga Ends in September

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TichoSlicer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:06 am Reply with quote
I hope we get all the story in the anime.. ;x
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:02 am Reply with quote
I thought this had a lot of promise when I first started reading it. The first volume is excellent in my opinion. But I think it largely ignores its original premise and turns into rather generic shojo after that. I haven't read much beyond the 3rd volume so perhaps things change back to the original focus?
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:49 am Reply with quote
The first episode has already covered over half of the first volume, so the anime seems to be well on track to adapt the whole thing. Good thing Okada herself is writing the scripts for the show, because she'll know better than anyone what to cut and what to keep in the adaptation.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
The first episode has already covered over half of the first volume, so the anime seems to be well on track to adapt the whole thing. Good thing Okada herself is writing the scripts for the show, because she'll know better than anyone what to cut and what to keep in the adaptation.

That's really good to hear! I hadn't watched any of the anime yet, but I'm much more interested now that I know that. If Okada is directing then perhaps the anime will do a better job sticking to its core premise than the manga does (at least so far....I feel bad talking about the manga having only read a limited amount of it)
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:45 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:
Zhou-BR wrote:

That's really good to hear! I hadn't watched any of the anime yet, but I'm much more interested now that I know that. If Okada is directing then perhaps the anime will do a better job sticking to its core premise than the manga does (at least so far....I feel bad talking about the manga having only read a limited amount of it)

Typical shoujo? For this demography it is not typical to discuss the issues of physical sexuality so explicitly, so this is no longer a typical shoujo. In my opinion, it is even closer to the romantic seinen than to any girl-focused work.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:08 pm Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:

Typical shoujo? For this demography it is not typical to discuss the issues of physical sexuality so explicitly, so this is no longer a typical shoujo. In my opinion, it is even closer to the romantic seinen than to any girl-focused work.

Guys, the series isn't shoujo at all. It runs in Bessatsu Shounen, the same magazine as Attack on Titan, A Silent Voice, Flowers of Evil and Happiness.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Guys, the series isn't shoujo at all. It runs in Bessatsu Shounen, the same magazine as Attack on Titan, A Silent Voice, Flowers of Evil and Happiness.

Genre is determined by the work itself, not it's neighborhood.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:12 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:

For manga that is pretty much exactly wrong. Shoujo, shounen, seinen, etc. are all determined by what magazine they're serialized in, utterly regardless of content. Might not seem to make sense sometimes, but that's how it is.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:00 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:

Yes, that's true. But shounen, shoujo, seinen and josei aren't genres; they're demographic categories. They describe the target audience for a series, not the content of the story. You can have shoujo action series, shounen romances, and josei horror.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:31 am Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:

The point I was making is that it only focuses on "issues of physical sexuality" in the first volume, then that concept seems to disappear entirely. Like I said I haven't read the whole manga so perhaps things change back again, but volumes 2 & 3 appear to have nearly entirely abandoned the early chapters' reference to sexuality. I can only recall one very brief scene which made reference to the original theme in the 2nd and 3rd volumes, whereas the first is packed with them.

I wasn't claiming that the title ran in a shoujo magazine or that it necessarily was shoujo in the true sense of the word. I was just pointing out that it changes a LOT from its original premise. The first volume seems rather special with its take on adolescence and sexuality, whereas the next two volumes--to me, anyway--read like generic shojo.
RealMTL

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:56 am Reply with quote
TichoSlicer wrote:
I hope we get all the story in the anime.. ;x

Same, an incomplete story would just suck.
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:03 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:
The point I was making is that it only focuses on "issues of physical sexuality" in the first volume, then that concept seems to disappear entirely. Like I said I haven't read the whole manga so perhaps things change back again, but volumes 2 & 3 appear to have nearly entirely abandoned the early chapters' reference to sexuality. I can only recall one very brief scene which made reference to the original theme in the 2nd and 3rd volumes, whereas the first is packed with them.

Well... depending on the story, it might make sense that it doesn't keep focusing on the physical sex, and naturally grows as the characters mature and seek relationships, maybe? otherwise the schtick might wear itself out, but this seems like a typical coming-of-age thing and while the 'physical sex' aspect is what sets the ball rolling, the story is probably more to do with just growing up in many ways and that whole 'youth doesn't last forever' topic.

I haven't read any of the manga, but if as you say it's not sticking to that premise, then maybe it's likely that the story is about more than just that, but I guess I'll see as the show goes on.
gedata

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:12 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:

Demographics aren't genres, and don't work as content descriptors in the same way. A work being "shoujo" only tells you that the main target audience is young girls, and literally nothing else, which doesn't seem to be the case here based on the magazine.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:48 am Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:

I haven't read any of the manga, but if as you say it's not sticking to that premise, then maybe it's likely that the story is about more than just that, but I guess I'll see as the show goes on.

You'd have to read the manga to see what I'm getting at. The first volume deals with the topic of exploring sexuality only nearly every page--not in the same way, of course: sometimes it's done with silly jokes, sometimes it's a serious scene--but it's there. The second and third volumes, as far as I can recall, have only a single page referring to it. It's a major change. If the art wasn't the same and the characters didn't have the same names you'd swear that vol 1 and vols 2/3 were not the same manga at all. Like I said, perhaps things will go back to the original premise later on. Plenty of manga (and anime too) have filler and side-story stuff which has nothing to do with the main theme so maybe that's what's going on here too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1