• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Demon Girl Next Door (TV) (all seasons).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:48 pm Reply with quote

Season 1 - (The) Demon Girl Next Door (TV)
Season 2 - (The) Demon Girl Next Door (TV 2)

Genres: comedy, magic, slice of life
Themes: magical girl, moe

Plot Summary: Yūko Yoshida is a 15-year-old girl who awakens one morning with demonic power, and is tasked with defeating a local magical girl. She has horns and a tail, but truthfully less power than an ordinary girl. She struggles to lift the "curse of a 40,000 yen (about US$365) per month living."

S2 - Apr. 7, 2022 (Thursdays; HIDIVE)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:18 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

I am totally into this. The main character being a totally non-evil, but also weak and impoverished girl, who has been forced into the position of villain. Her target a magical girl that has already passed the saving the world scenario, being ultra powerful, monotone rather than energetic like the stereotype, and seems to maybe being set up at help Yuko become stronger.

We had a magical girl transformation, which had a timer to show that the whole thing took 0.01 seconds. No one seems to have really been shaken by the revelation of her being a demon girl, and by general knowledge can point to the local magical girl. She straight up said that her job is to murderize a magical girl.

I am kind of reminded of Mao-chan-sensei. Cute but pathetic demon girls seem to have been in lately.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:49 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

The funniest first episode I've seen in awhile. It's a classic premise on the level of Teen Wolf or an 80s sitcom called Out of this World where once the protagonist comes of age, they learn their family history and world is a lot more complicated than they thought.

But then this series goes a further step by having everyone else know the world is already weird in different ways, the protagonist is just that dumb.

There's no masquerade for anyone, Yuko's physical changes are very visible and actually make her weaker and, let's be honest, her family's demon artifact looks like a sex toy.

All of that and the curse of Eternal Poverty? Are we sure the demons are the bad guys?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:48 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

In my head cannon, that was a yuri ending. At least leaned into with the mention of a vassal thing being equated to Shamiko's parents partnership and the offer with Momo to be one with the promise of staying together, the duel looking like a confession and Momo seeming to take it as a date request. Maybe that is just yuri bate or something, but I will take it, the show is otherwise pretty wholesome.

Maybe this came up earlier in the show, but I noticed a couple of interesting characters in the show, one being some sort of black not human figure, while the other was a girl with cat ears. Nothing big was made out of it, and I kind of feel like it was sort of a wasted part of this show where they set up about no one caring that that there is a demon girl and magical girl. They should have made a bunch of other weird things show up in the background that no one gave any care about, since I think it was one of the funnier jokes. But they also seemed to want to preserve jokes like thinking it is weird with a cat saying "The time hath come!", so it pretty difficult to keep a balance. Which I do feel like it did not always keep, have the excitement of new and weird things pop up. The other closest maybe being the occult club member who seems to be onto things. The homunculus jokes that happened pretty late were another good example of jokes, both the scuttling legs and the cute form that was totally underused.

Underused would be my main complaint, it feels like they were not able to use the sort of thing they would find most fun. Things that required a third party entering their dynamic, Shamiko being able to show that she oddly has things more together in looking after herself over Momo, and Lilith being able to be an active participant in stories. There were updates like extra people coming in (such as the second magical girl), Shamiko and Momo getting more involved in each other's situation, and Lilith able to move a bit. But a lot of it felt like it came late, that alone would like me to see more from here where Shamiko trying to "seduce" Momo to the dark side, and Lilith using those bodies that sowed up in one scene. It felt like the show finally had movement when Shamiko moved out from being totally unable to do anything, where she gained a battle form and stuff. Pointing out that her battle form is a lot skimpier than a magical girl's was kind of funny, even if a bit overplayed for what she had.

It felt a little incomplete in places such as a charm that could be hit or miss. But I am pretty sure that I liked charm that had sound effects around Shamiko to be not her saying it but still in her voice making the sound effect. It gave an earnest feeling that makes me like it, sort of like Endro, but not the extent of Endro. Need more adorable demon. But add Shamiko and Lilith to the group of Mao chan sensei and Satania. Anyway, I still liked it, my rating would be Decent (6/10), I think it is worth seeing and certainly in my wheelhouse, but also a lot of potential that I wanted to see more from. Especially with all the big story beats revealed in the last couple of episodes, and they have a plan now to try and accomplish something, I would like to see a follow up where it is generally improved on. The show Yuru Yuri kind of comes to mind as something like this able to somehow get more, and in my mind improve. So hopefully there is enough attention on Machikado Mazoku /The Demon Girl Next Door, that it won't be forgotten unable to reach its potential.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:49 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Episode 1

The funniest first bazoocam episode I've seen in awhile. It's a classic premise on the level of Teen Wolf or an 80s sitcom called Out of this World where once the protagonist comes of age, they learn their family history and world is a lot more complicated than they thought.

But then this series goes a further step by having everyone else know the world is already weird in different ways, the protagonist is just that dumb.

There's no masquerade for anyone, Yuko's physical changes are very visible and actually make her weaker and, let's be honest, her family's demon artifact looks like a sex toy.

All of that and the curse of Eternal protonvpn Poverty? Are we sure the demons are the bad guys?

Yes it's the funniest episode in the recent times. Maybe the series is thinking about going in a different direction.

Regards,
Kasey.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:53 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 1

Woo, new season. Which I am happy to see returned, but the energy of this first episode felt really weird, like it really rushed. I remember the first season being better paced, while this episode was a lot more fast and wacky, which does feel kind of weird.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:51 am Reply with quote
It was two episodes in one; The "not a date/duel for position" had its half and then Mikan Moves Next Door which in a few minutes gives more reason for Mikan being in this show than all of first season. Mikan offered up so many "oh, by the way" and "did you know" bits of history and family business that she's effectively earned "main character" status.

Momo's magical girl sister disappeared when Mikan was cursed, her family's fruit processing plant blew up and Shamiko's demon dad got turned into an orange fruit carton. I'm skipping the question of "do you think they're related" and going straight to "how come no one has thought to connect them?"
dabarth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Still clip image from a Japanese Anime (Machikado Mazoku -The Demon Girl Next Door) showing a Middle Cambrian Burgess Shale assemblage, Opaninia, Trilobite, Anomalocaris, Hallucigenia, and Picaia.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:35 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 2

It was still faster pace than I remembered, but I think that it was better than the first episode in not just feeling like a bunch of jokes on fast forward. It gave quirks of the characters to shine, while also a lot of plot. I think my favourite was when Shamiko was so happy about being able to transform the 'powerful weapon' into a bunch of useful mundane items.

Also, Shamiko taking notes on a story of a demon twisting wishes, with Momo even reading that Shamiko plans to do something similar to turn Momo to the dark side.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:30 am Reply with quote
Episode 2 "Forklift!"

I love these girls in how they never ask the right questions. Shamiko heard Momo's sister, somehow, probably, which led her to the wand but no one thought to ask what she sounded like after they decided Shamiko actually found something.

"Forklift!"

And, twist, it turns out the Magical Girl wand is her dad's. An item, a weapon that can be willed into anything.... look, either we have a case of multiple magical girls and multiple demons and else there's something no one wants to admit to.

Also... "Forklift!"
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:31 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 12 (finale)

Not sure if it a me problem, but I think that the finale again was another case of the pacing being off, like really fast. Not as bas as first episode of the season at least. And perhaps feeling a bit like a forced place in the season looking at the plot of solving Mikan's curse problem as what we led up to. Not bad, just kind of incoinsistent.

I did enjoy the season, we had a but more magical stuff beyond what the first season had, and growth for the characters. And even if a joke was not funny, I usually found it interesting. Shamiko in general is such a charming character, that seeing her adventures and others characters in her orbit makes it an enjoyable watch.

My rating for the season is pushed up to Good (7/10), just generally a charming show, which is worth watching.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1