• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Monster And The Beast GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:48 am Reply with quote
I keep meaning to pick this up, but I haven’t yet.

Kinda sorta related, but are Natsume Ono and Renji the same person? Their art is similar, sure, but I can’t find anything online connecting the two explicitly. And Ono has published bl in the past under the name Basso, so I’m wondering if she’s created yet another name to publish under?
musouka

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:29 pm Reply with quote
I don’t think the two are the same person. The author of BakeKeda has a pixiv account with a clear progression of style that doesn’t mirror Ono’s in the slightest. While their current works are similar in style if you don’t check, looking at one of Ono’s manga VS Renji’s art side by side makes the difference clear.

I honestly think the review should be edited at this point to avoid confusion. And unless pen names are explicitly linked, perhaps it should be avoided linking the two in reviews—though I don’t think commenting on style similarities is remiss.
Beltane

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Whoever wrote the summary for this review must have gotten Renji and Natsume Ono mixed up. The reviewer mentioned Natsume Ono exactly once in this review: in the context of this manga's main character being older than what one would expect in a BL manga that is not by Natsume Ono (older men is her thing).

Let's hope the ANN staff would fix this eventually.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Beltane wrote:
Whoever wrote the summary for this review must have gotten Renji and Natsume Ono mixed up. The reviewer mentioned Natsume Ono exactly once in this review: in the context of this manga's main character being older than what one would expect in a BL manga that is not by Natsume Ono (older men is her thing).

Let's hope the ANN staff would fix this eventually.

I'm sure they will, and you are correct - reviewers don't necessarily write the main page blurbs. That's usually a good thing in my case; let's just say that they're not my strong suit. Smile
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Sorry about that, I'll correct the error.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1