• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Starting Over from Zero

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
guardianmega

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:14 pm Reply with quote
FYI: The above article states that the release of the Mega Man Zero and ZX Legacy Collection is the first time you'll be able to play the Zero series without a Gamecube GBA Adapter. This is incorrect; all four Mega Man Zero games were released as standalone downloads on the Wii U Virtual Console.
Amibite

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Lion King and Aladdin to obviously cash in on the recent live-action versions, but the only version worth playing won't be there. I'll pass and keep on waiting for a Magical Quest collection. The fact this gets a physical release but the Disney Afternoon collection didn't is disappointing.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The Megaman Zero games never really clicked with me, mostly because the ranking system in those games is punishing and frustrating. (Cool, I get to miss out on getting boss abilities – the entire thing Megaman is built around – by utilizing other beneficial gameplay mechanics, that's great

Can't agree more, the ranking system ruined the game for me, to get the best rank you need to competently ignore almost every ability, which makes the gameplay stales. But if you ignored the ranking and just use everything you collect, the games become a complete breeze (you can like quadruple your health, increase your defense, getyour ass saved if you fall in a pit and so on).
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:05 pm Reply with quote
-Yakuza: Yeah, did not see that one coming. I like to think the reason Kiryu was able to wreck people with ease was because he sees the world as an action game while everyone else sees it like an RPG. Also kind of amusing that the UI is like something out of Persona 5. Anyway, I guess with Nagoshi helping with Sakura Wars and turning that into an action game he had to turn Yakuza into an RPG for universal balance.

-MMZ: Neat.

-Disney: Huh.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Even crazier about video game rentals is that they've been illegal in Japan for almost thirty years. That has exacerbated the "buy the game, beat it fast, sell it to a used shop" workaround that honestly isn't any better for the publishers.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm thinking the Yakuza rename is to make it less intimidating to US consumers. Like, imagine if Kingdom Hearts 3 actually had a more accurate number on it, like Kingdom Hearts 8.7. That'd be WAY more intimidating. I think by wiping the slate clean, it makes it more obvious that it's a new entry, AND that you don't have to play 0-6 to start here.

Now I'm just wondering if I'll be able to beat them all before it comes out in English! I only got into this series a few months ago and have only beaten 0! Playing Kiwami 1 right now! And I WAS going to dig out the PS3, but now they have 3-5 coming to PS4, and I MUST have the physical disc, so I'll be waiting until February, but that means I can only play Kiwami 2 until then, then I'll have 4 games to beat AND Judgement! Or maybe I could play Judgement in between then, that might even things out a bit. So many live chickens, so little time!
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:30 am Reply with quote
In the Philippines it was pretty common to have console rental arcades where you could pay by the hour or half-hour. Until recently we were a grey market for consoles, with no officially supported hardware and software releases.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:18 am Reply with quote
Amibite wrote:
Lion King and Aladdin to obviously cash in on the recent live-action versions,

....Which would make sense if

A) These weren't based off the originals
B) Weren't coming out months after both movies released in theaters
C) A significant portion of the people who liked the original movies didn't have issues with the live action adaptations

I mean when dropped Ducktales Remastered it wasn't done to promote a newer version of the show (which would happen years later) and I don't recall The Beauty & The Beast (either one) Or Jungle Book games getting remaster to tie-in with the live action remakes.

Quote:
Reports from sources like Gematsu state that the Western release is going to drop the number from the title entirely, calling the game Yakuza: Like a Dragon.

....So basically the using the game's original japanese title translated into english as the subtitle for the seventh game?

Quote:
I wonder if they're worried that the combat shift might turn off people who would buy the game if it was called Yakuza 7?

Considering a number of english speaking fans have voiced their displeasure with these new developments seems like a pretty moot point if true.

Quote:
Also, the Japanese subtitle sounds awkward in English,

Which sounds a lot better than Ryu Ga Gotoku Like A Dragon which also has the cheeky element of being a pun.

Amibite wrote:

The fact this gets a physical release but the Disney Afternoon collection didn't is disappointing.

I'm guessing no one really cared for the physical versions of Ducktales Remastered.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Crispy45

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:18 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
In the Philippines it was pretty common to have console rental arcades where you could pay by the hour or half-hour. Until recently we were a grey market for consoles, with no officially supported hardware and software releases.

Blockbuster used to rent out consoles back in the day as well. I couldn't get an N64 at launch but my friend rented one and we played Mario 64 for like 3 days straight.
Amibite

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:17 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
....Which would make sense if

A) These weren't based off the originals
B) Weren't coming out months after both movies released in theaters
C) A significant portion of the people who liked the original movies didn't have issues with the live action adaptations

Do any of those really matter though? None of all this superhero stuff actively is based on the comics or is beloved by those fans but people'll still buy anything with Iron Man on it these days. I find it too much of a coincidence these two franchises got mashed together specifically rather than any of the numerous other games based on Disney stuff or a full generic Disney movie games compilation.

Quote:
I'm guessing no one really cared for the physical versions of Ducktales Remastered.

Didn't care for the game at all myself. I hated the 2D flash artwork. I'd take original sprites anyday of the week.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Amibite wrote:

Do any of those really matter though? None of all this superhero stuff actively is based on the comics

Ummmm Civil War, Winter Soldier, The First Sam Raimi Spider-Man movie, Logan those very much were based off of existing comics they just streamlined certain elements of it.

Amibite wrote:

or is beloved by those fans but people'll still buy anything with Iron Man on it these days.

I mean they didn't really change the perception of Iron Man 2 being the weakest of the trilogy. Or people from complaining about the twist with Mandarin in the third movie.

Amibite wrote:

I find it too much of a coincidence these two franchises got mashed together specifically rather than any of the numerous other games based on Disney stuff or a full generic Disney movie games compilation.

I get that but these games were pretty popular back in the day and they could've decided just to rerelease them based on that fact.

Amibite wrote:

Didn't care for the game at all myself. I hated the 2D flash artwork. I'd take original sprites anyday of the week.

I'm glad they modernised it considering the laziness of Megaman 9 & 10.
Unknow0059

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:08 am Reply with quote
This Yakuza guy looks like a member of the band Bradio.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1