• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony Consolidates Funimation, France's Wakanim, Australia's Madman Anime Into Joint Venture

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:28 am Reply with quote
I just read this. Curiosity still has me wondering as has been asked before what this means for Crackles future.

I do like this overall and hope this means that in the future aniplex and funimation can work together again for dubs on shows as they air.

Last edited by Lord Vaultman on Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total
mgosdin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:30 am Reply with quote
So, the bean counters are finally heard loud & clear. Save money, consolidate!

I wonder where Anixplex USA nee-Aniplex of America fits into all this?

Mark Gosdin
Friki del Mal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:36 am Reply with quote
RIP Aniplex in Latin America.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:45 am Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:

Mark Gosdin

I'm curious about that, too. A name change for Madman makes sense considering that division was sold off from the bigger Madman company, but it was sold to Aniplex at the time, and is now being shifted under Funimation instead. I suppose AoA didn't factor into this particular move since its focus is at an international level. Funimation has said for some time now that it wanted to expand to other regions, so I suppose this is the quickest way to do it.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:01 am Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:

I mean, it doesn't make any sense for Sony to buy the English rights to something twice, especially when Funi is trying to get into the international market.

Wakanim is a little more questionable. Obviously having some guys in Texas making decisions for the French market is a recipe for disaster, so hopefully Wakanim continues as it is, but under a new name.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:05 am Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:

Mark Gosdin

Hopefully six feet under.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:17 am Reply with quote
This might be bad. Funimation FOR SOME REASON likes to compress the hell out of their blu-ray releases. Last I heard, Madman left the video files untouched from the Japanese release. So while a JP/Australian release would be 30Mbps, Funimation would compress it down to 10-15 Mbps, again, for no logical reason...blu-ray has plenty of space. It would make sense to me that they'll all start doing that crap if they all become Funimation but I really dope Funimation just stops compressing stuff to begin with, it almost defeats the purpose of a home release and is disrespectful to the artists.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:17 am Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Wakanim is a little more questionable. Obviously having some guys in Texas making decisions for the French market is a recipe for disaster, so hopefully Wakanim continues as it is, but under a new name.
Wakanim isn't just the French market though for a couple of years - thanks to Aniplex now it's one of the biggest distributors for anime streaming for the whole EU+some of CIS sector with only Crunchyroll being it's competitor there.
chrisc1978

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:12 am Reply with quote
I hope Aniplex Of America goes away, their is no need for them if Funimation is releasing the new Fate/Grand Order anime.

Last edited by chrisc1978 on Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
Aresef

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:19 am Reply with quote
Can they do this if they don't own all of Funimation? Either way, this is smart. I also wonder if Aniplex of America is long for this world.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
Can they do this if they don't own all of Funimation?
They own more than just the majority stake — of course they can do that anytime.
Ushio

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
Can they do this if they don't own all of Funimation? Either way, this is smart. I also wonder if Aniplex of America is long for this world.

Yes Sony can as they own 95% of Funimation with the remaining 5% being Gen Fukunaga Funimation's founder and chairman (basically he is a Sony employee with a small ownership stake in a division that just got made bigger win-win for him).
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:14 pm Reply with quote
It'll be interesting to see what this means for Crunchyroll since they've usually gotten equal distribution with Aniplex titles, and eventually got the Grand Order special several weeks after Funimation premiered it.

Also, if they're immediately dubbing the new Grand Order anime...does that mean Funimation is handling it, instead of Bang Zoom? Although I expect Funimation would at least try and keep the English cast as consistent as possible from past dubbed Fate anime. I wonder if we'll see the dub of the El-Melloi anime premiere on Funimation?

I also wonder if this means Aniplex might go back and dub some titles and release those on Funimation's website.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Well, Madman’s Sailor Moon releases are much nicer than Viz’s. Now that FUNimation is technically taking over the franchise in Australia, I wonder if it will be any easier to just import those editions. Also, I hope this means Aniplex USA is finally getting merged into FUNimation.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:37 pm Reply with quote
This is geat news in that a Fate series will finally get a simuldub. The consolidation of more companies into Funimation was simply a matter of time since it didn't make sense for Sony to have them act like competing companies when it came to anime licensing.

MFrontier wrote:
I wonder if we'll see the dub of the El-Melloi anime premiere on Funimation?

That would be nice but it will depend on whether Aniplex USA gets consolidated or if this was just something that will happen for the occasional Aniplex show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3