• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Seis Manos

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I had the chance of seeing it. It was good. Nice and violent. Perfect for the "telenovellas". Actually before I had a chance to watch this I had a chance to learn a little about the anime scene in Latin/Latin American countries. I guess I was right about how certain shows were at their height there but not so much here. But it was good to find a Latin YT'ber explain in her own words why anime was so integral in those countries growing up. And now we are beginning to see projects from other countries using an anime look to tell their stories. A dream I always had.

While this is nothing new, (meaning taking a project and getting an Asian studio to do the animation) now with streaming the way to watch shows and garner interests for new projects is really taking off. I really want to see more like this.

So far we got LeSean's Cannon Busters and Children of the Ether, and now SEIS MANOS.

What's next? Will we start seeing more from China or Korean projects as well.
milkyy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:56 pm Reply with quote
So this means animenewsnetwork is gonna start covering non-anime shows now? I for one am looking forward to The Boondocks season premiere review!
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Having started watching the show, it’s a really fun series with callbacks to all the things that made local TV films great. Shaw Bros Kung fu, gang wars, horror, blaxploitation, etc, wrapped up in a great looking presentation. And yeah, Latino heroes. That’s a rarity where they aren’t blatant awful stereotypes you want killed off.

The problem that will haunt this show though is the advertising - Anime ja nai. “It’s not anime” and claiming it is will create an instant hatedom.
sirdano1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:23 pm Reply with quote
milkyy wrote:
So this means animenewsnetwork is gonna start covering non-anime shows now? I for one am looking forward to The Boondocks season premiere review!

I'm more interested in their review of Genndy Tartakovsky's Primal, personally. What a fantastic anime that is.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:59 pm Reply with quote
sirdano1 wrote:
milkyy wrote:

I'm more interested in their review of Genndy Tartakovsky's Primal, personally. What a fantastic anime that is.

I forgot about that show. I do want to see that a bit.
MidoriUma

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:13 pm Reply with quote
This is not anime. Please be careful, ANN. Remember what happened when Crunchyroll started pretending non-anime was anime...
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:25 pm Reply with quote
MidoriUma wrote:
This is not anime. Please be careful, ANN. Remember what happened when Crunchyroll started pretending non-anime was anime...

Well, I think it can be nice to review animation in general. Although I dislike the mentality behind reviewing animation "that looks like anime" because there is really no such thing as "looking like anime", since it is an umbrella term for all animation made by the Japanese.

I actually dislike the term "anime" since it is a label and labels for such broad things as the artistic medium of a whole civilization tends to lead to false stereotypes. If I talk about a Miyazaki movie I talk about it as a "movie", if I talk about a show it is a "show".

I tend to use the term "manga" instead because this term has fewer stereotypical associations. Although it can also lead to problems.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:49 pm Reply with quote
MidoriUma wrote:

That sounded like a threat for me...
MidoriUma

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:37 pm Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:
MidoriUma wrote:

I'd prefer not to see a repeat of the HGS debacle, is all. The core audience here is fairly hardcore otaku. Treat your viewers like they'll watch any nonsense just because it's also animated, and you'll become a (self-inflicted) object of ridicule.
kow626

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:48 pm Reply with quote
I stopped watching the first episode after 10 minutes. The trailer was one thing but having to watch the actual show is another. I figured out pretty quickly that I'm not its target audience. I noticed when it said it was anime but it very clearly isn't. ANN should know that it's not and shouldn't be reviewing it.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:03 pm Reply with quote
kow626 wrote:
I stopped watching the first episode after 10 minutes. The trailer was one thing but having to watch the actual show is another. I figured out pretty quickly that I'm not its target audience. I noticed when it said it was anime but it very clearly isn't. ANN should know that it's not and shouldn't be reviewing it.

So in other words:

https://youtu.be/Zw-X8DkdZhM
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I have no interest in this show but why are some anime fans reacting so much more negatively to this than they did Cannon Busters and Castlevania?
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:54 am Reply with quote
MidoriUma wrote:
luisedgarf wrote:
MidoriUma wrote:

I'd prefer not to see a repeat of the HGS debacle, is all. The core audience here is fairly hardcore otaku. Treat your viewers like they'll watch any nonsense just because it's also animated, and you'll become a (self-inflicted) object of ridicule.

That wasn't what it was about. The issue was that people think High Guardian Spice is pushing a political agenda based on the trailer.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:18 am Reply with quote
MidoriUma wrote:
luisedgarf wrote:
MidoriUma wrote:

I'd rather they include too much than too little, like MAL which refuses to add Thunderbolt Fantasy despite it being as anime in mood as an animation could be (pretty bishounens, cool fights, impractical but pretty clothes...).
I haven't heard aboud HGS debacle before, but reading the Crunchyroll comments it's a bunch of people whining about Crunchyroll supporting Social Justice Warriors and leftist propaganda, so clearly it wasn't not-anime debacle so much as Crunchyroll having a lot of shitty subscribers-debacle, something I noticed a long time ago when some people commented that ANN being temporarily down was something the site deserved for being "too leftist".
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:51 am Reply with quote
MidoriUma wrote:

Ridicule us all you want. I care not.

ANN is not corporately owned - we are an independent publication still, which means we can cover what we want, when we want.

This show was made by Powerhouse Studios - who also made Castlevania, which, as someone else pointed out, got zero comments about how it's "not anime"` when we covered it - and was produced by veterans of the anime industry here in the States. VIZ Media was instrumental in making this show happen. It makes sense to me to cover this one, given who made it, how it's being billed, and the uniquely diverse cast. Seemed fine to me, something of obvious interest to our audience.

We go case-by-case on these sorts of things; Netflix is actively attempting to redefine what "anime" refers to (we have an in-depth article about this in the works) but I am fundamentally not discriminatory and don't really care that much about what people online say should belong in specific categories.

The trick is to relax and not be too uptight or obsessive over labels - the idea that we're being corrupted somehow because one article covers a show that's billed as "anime" but not actually made by Japanese people is just antithetical to my entire ethos. The times are changing - the point is to adapt.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2