• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - The Top 5 One Piece Battles

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:30 pm Reply with quote
The fact Luffy v. Lucci isnt on here is very upsetting.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Man that ending of the Luffy vs Crocodile fight with the New World blaring at full volume as Luffy beats the ever loving shit outta Crocodile will never not be legendary. Cool
Raiyou

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Come on, every fan knows the best fight of the series is Sanji vs Wanze on the sea train.
Animegunclub

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:14 am Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

High-key agreed.
ShadowZim777

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:10 pm Reply with quote
I think a top ten or higher list would have been better. There are so many fights in One Piece that it’s kinda difficult to settle on just five.
But yeah, agreed on the masses that say Luffy vs Lucci should be on the list too.
I would also say Luffy vs Arlong.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Luffy vs Usopp is my all-time favorite so I'm glad it made it on this list. Also pleased to see the Straw Hats vs Oars as that one was quite a lot of fun and required all sorts of teamwork and Nightmare Luffy was just badass. I fell off the series when they were in the toy land place with Doffy so I'm not familiar with the more recent fight presented.
k_dawg_3484

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:04 pm Reply with quote
In my opinion, Luffy vs. Katakuri is hands down the worst Luffy fight in the series.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:48 pm Reply with quote
k_dawg_3484 wrote:
In my opinion, Luffy vs. Katakuri is hands down the worst Luffy fight in the series.

Luffy VS Caesar exists.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:00 pm Reply with quote
k_dawg_3484 wrote:

If it wasn’t for Snakeman that statement would have more merit.
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Animegunclub wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

High-key agreed.

I was gonna say! Luffy VS Crocodile should've made it too. The third round, of course. Though Franky VS Fukuro and Franky VS Senor Pink were some decent slugfests, IMO. Zoro VS Ryuma was pretty cool, too.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:42 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I mean no disrespect, but this list selection was...not great. I think everybody would absolutely give you Luffy vs. Usopp, and the entire Straw Hat crew vs. Oars was really memorable too. Ace vs. Blackbeard obviously had a massive impact on the story, but on its own merits I don't think the fight was particularly special. Likewise, Zoro vs. Kaku was fun enough, but it's a fairly standard Straw-Hat-vs-enemy-underling battle. As for Luffy vs. Katakuri, while it was great in concept and had (for my money) a very satisfying payoff...man, it took an absolute eternity no matter which medium you're talking about, with some hideous repetition. I'm sorry, but there's no way at all it sniffs the top spot.

As far as omissions go, both Luffy vs. Crocodile and Luffy vs. Lucci are not only near-universally held up as two fantastic fights, they're two of the most memorable moments in the entire series, period. They're an absolute necessity.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:00 am Reply with quote
k_dawg_3484 wrote:

Luffy vs Aokiji
Luffy vs Magellan
Luffy vs Crocodile Round 2
Luffy vs Wapol

Were bangers huh?

But yeah this list is so weird.

No Luffy vs Zoro, or Zoro vs Mr.1, Luffy vs Krieg, Sanji vs Bon Clay etc

Top Gun wrote:
Yeah, I mean no disrespect, but this list selection was...not great. I think everybody would absolutely give you Luffy vs. Usopp,

Easily one of the most overrated and most pointless fights in the series. That people only play up for the drama eventhough it was laughably absurd how they made an injured Usopp fluster Luffy who realistically should've and could've no sold every bit of offense and just one shotted him in a few panels or 30 seconds.......that or the fight could've just not had happened altogether.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1