• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyo Mew Mew Manga Returns With Male Lead Characters in 2020

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SourOkapi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:39 am Reply with quote
Tokyo Mew Mew was my first manga! I'll check this out
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:51 am Reply with quote
I loved the original Tokyo Mew Mew growing up in high school but I don't know how I feel about this. It doesn't seem like the original cast will have any involvement in it and it doesn't look the original manga authors are involved either. Was this made with the blessings of Reiko Yoshida and Mia Ikumi or is this just Kodansha cashing in on the brand name? I guess I'll wait and see what the reviews and fan reception for it was like but this isn't what I expected the return of TMM to be like. This sounds more like a spin off than a direct sequel to the original.
Hika Yagami

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:54 am Reply with quote
I'm so excited for this!
Also, the mangaka has recently confirmed that the title is a pun on "Ore" and "Au Lait" on her twitter: https://twitter.com/seidukimadoka/status/1199529602890137600
Mew Berry

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:40 am Reply with quote
I genuinely can’t wait for this. I’ve seen a lot of negativity regarding the new cast, their gender and their designs, which makes me sad. I’ve been waiting years for something new to happen with the series that got me into anime without really expecting anything to and I’m extremely excited it’s actually happening.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:46 am Reply with quote
Hika Yagami wrote:
Also, the mangaka has recently confirmed that the title is a pun on "Ore" and "Au Lait" on her twitter: https://twitter.com/seidukimadoka/status/1199529602890137600

She didn't quite confirm as much as she teased that she was asked about all three possible interpretations — olé, ore (I), and (café) au lait.
MischievousMelody

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:00 am Reply with quote
Well, I’m a bit conflicted on this, but I’ll read this when it comes out. Tokyo Mew Mew was my gateway anime and manga, after all.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:00 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
This sounds more like a spin off than a direct sequel to the original.

I think that might be the point of this upcoming story, Takato.

Also like you I do feel uneasy about the concept of this story as well, but it may turn out to be a good spin off. My only concern is I do not want this cast to be like the masculine equivalent of the original cast (one of them reminds me of one of the original cast by his design). I would like for them to have their own personalities that set the apart from the original characters.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Mew Berry wrote:
I genuinely can’t wait for this. I’ve seen a lot of negativity regarding the new cast, their gender and their designs, which makes me sad. I’ve been waiting years for something new to happen with the series that got me into anime without really expecting anything to and I’m extremely excited it’s actually happening.

I can understand why there are people who are upset by this, but I also understand its rough seeing something one loves be pan by people.

Learning that Tokyo Mew Mew is returning after years of having ended was a surprise for me as it was not something I expected.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
RegSuzaku

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:22 am Reply with quote
Nice and sexy~

Needs a stage play!
Mew Berry

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:04 am Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
Hika Yagami wrote:

She didn't quite confirm as much as she teased that she was asked about all three possible interpretations — olé, ore (I), and (café) au lait.

All the same, the ore/Au Lait pun seems very likely to have been the intended interpretation. The original sequel was called A la Mode, after all.
#Synaesthesia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:41 am Reply with quote
I've never heard of this manga but now I'm interested Smile
everapril

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:18 am Reply with quote
YES
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:16 am Reply with quote
This makes sense since the shoujo crowd that watched the show has grown up and so they make a spin off manga which features bishonen guys. It is similar to Cute High Earth Defense Club Love but they are doing it with an existing shoujo franchise. Also I have read that there will be a heroine character and that she will be announced later.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
I have read that there will be a heroine character and that she will be announced later.

Where did you learn this from?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Aquasakura wrote:
Where did you learn this from?

From the Crunchyroll news article and it includes information from Madoka Seizuki who has been tweeting some details and drawings from the manga.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:44 pm Reply with quote
While Black Cat will always my favorite, TMM is a close second, and...I don't really mind this, already been used to series that were "Magical Boys" instead, lol.

However though, I wonder how or where in the story this'll be taking place.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2