• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These Second

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Intranetusa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Great episode, but they should have presented the military coup's point of view better. In the original OVA, the military was explicitly ordered to disperse the protesters peacefully. The officers sent in to suppress the protest were pissed off that they were dying in battle but the civilians at home weren't willing to risk their lives to do the same.
Realismfan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:50 pm Reply with quote
They should have been pissed off at the politicians. Besides Captain Christian was clearly unhinged to the point of becoming a stupid bloodthirsty sociopath who could only use violence.

The lesson of this episode is that the military should never be given political powers, nor responsibilities such as law enforcement. Tanaka grew up at a time when the horrors and hardship of WWII was still a recent memory in Japan (his home prefecture is located close to Nagasaki). So his aversion to nationalism and militarism is well-founded.

spoiler[ It's not shown in the anime, but the original novels mention how the junta was incapable of governing once in power to the point of causing rampant economic hardship (such as food shortages) to the whole planet. Even when they were given good advice of how to manage an economy they refused to heed it out of self-righteous arrogance.]
thecritter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:30 pm Reply with quote
For those who may be interested, the last English-translated volume of the 10-book original series will be released on Nov 19, 2019. The differences between the anime and the novels are interesting and more than trivial, but the anime sticks pretty close when possible.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:02 am Reply with quote
thecritter wrote:
For those who may be interested, the last English-translated volume of the 10-book original series will be released on Nov 19, 2019. The differences between the anime and the novels are interesting and more than trivial, but the anime sticks pretty close when possible.

not when it came to jean and jessica's deaths however!

and the latter's will clearly have LN pursuits cry bloody murder at some forums!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:09 am Reply with quote
Great episode and a very hard decision for reinhard. Honestly he should have still gone to stop it but still this makes for an interesting confrontation going forward.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:59 pm Reply with quote
LOGH isn't a light novel series, and regardless, novel persists do not exist for LoGH.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:27 am Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
LOGH isn't a light novel series, and regardless, novel persists do not exist for LoGH.

considering on how uber popular that series was in the old days which was before macross replaced it as the top space opera anime series, id think yea. there are some that are really griping about the differences between this anime & source materials!

sure not in this forum community but definitely in others.

also the reviewer calls the books "source novels" so its pretty much a given!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Seriously hoping theres an announcement for more new content coming down the pipeline eventually after this season is all over.
Kirki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:05 am Reply with quote
I see the same problem as the reviewer in every single episode. You know how it looks like to me? Like the series seems too afraid to show any hint of love that could be in any way interpreted as homoerotic. More than establishing the necessary bonds, they are afraid they will be accused of yaoi baiting. I don't know what has happened before - I have read somewhere (sorry that I cannot provide the link right now I have sincrely forgotten where I found this, could be fake) that fans were sending Tanaka lots of yaoi fanarts with Reinhard and Kirchieis and that pissed him off. Their bond was supposed to be "pure", like soul mates but without sexual undertones - as Kirchieis was always in love with Annerose.

But you know what? Fans will ship what they will ship. Holding a story back for such a reason is kind of... unfair? New fans are missing a lot of what made the previous OVAs superb. Kirchieis and Reinhard love each other. Julian and Yang love each other. Reuenthal and Mittermeier also have an especially strong bond. This is not up to interpretation or debate in the series, but one of its most important structural cores. It's really a shame to miss it!

(Also why cut the yaoi implications but have Shonkopff pin Yang down? That was a real treat!)
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:39 am Reply with quote
Kirki wrote:
I see the same problem as the reviewer in every single episode. You know how it looks like to me? Like the series seems too afraid to show any hint of love that could be in any way interpreted as homoerotic. More than establishing the necessary bonds, they are afraid they will be accused of yaoi baiting. I don't know what has happened before - I have read somewhere (sorry that I cannot provide the link right now I have sincrely forgotten where I found this, could be fake) that fans were sending Tanaka lots of yaoi fanarts with Reinhard and Kirchieis and that pissed him off. Their bond was supposed to be "pure", like soul mates but without sexual undertones - as Kirchieis was always in love with Annerose.

But you know what? Fans will ship what they will ship. Holding a story back for such a reason is kind of... unfair? New fans are missing a lot of what made the previous OVAs superb. Kirchieis and Reinhard love each other. Julian and Yang love each other. Reuenthal and Mittermeier also have an especially strong bond. This is not up to interpretation or debate in the series, but one of its most important structural cores. It's really a shame to miss it!

(Also why cut the yaoi implications but have Shonkopff pin Yang down? That was a real treat!)

unfortunately it might not even happen!

from the feel and look of this ep, especially from their arguement just recently, i got a VERY bad feeling that spoiler[ Seig will eventually get killed off ] later on in the series turning reinhard into another rudolph!

and if those rumors about tanaka getting pissed off are true, this might have been the result!
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Even Reinhard's sister Annerose finds herself making a point of moving on, dividing herself from her brother for the time while making clear that for her, as for everyone in the Empire, he represents the future

i wont be so sure about that. you dont have to be a source material to easily figgure out that the whole conversation is completely fake aka paul more or less used a fake sister in order to emtionally isolate him. in some ways its similar to star wars ep 3 in how the future emperor used the same methods to turn skywalker into darth vader!

his only hope is that he either figgures all of this out or at least someone like hilda or even yang shows him that he's going down the wrong path before this isolation turns him into a second rudolph!
Intranetusa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:22 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
Kirki wrote:

unfortunately it might not even happen!

from the feel and look of this ep, especially from their arguement just recently, i got a VERY bad feeling that spoiler[ Seig will eventually get killed off ] later on in the series turning reinhard into another rudolph!

and if those rumors about tanaka getting pissed off are true, this might have been the result!

No dude...what are you talking about? This entire story was written as a series of books written in the 1980s before it ever became an anime, whether the 1990s OVA or this current version.

The writer killing off major characters came long before people even knew what these characters looked like.
Intranetusa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:22 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
Quote:

Even Reinhard's sister Annerose finds herself making a point of moving on, dividing herself from her brother for the time while making clear that for her, as for everyone in the Empire, he represents the future

i wont be so sure about that. you dont have to be a source material to easily figgure out that the whole conversation is completely fake aka paul more or less used a fake sister in order to emtionally isolate him. in some ways its similar to star wars ep 3 in how the future emperor used the same methods to turn skywalker into darth vader!

his only hope is that he either figgures all of this out or at least someone like hilda or even yang shows him that he's going down the wrong path before this isolation turns him into a second rudolph!

No. The reviewer has seen the 1990s OVA version of this series and/or read the source novels. This wasn't a fake conversation.
Nina_Fortner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I wonder why you can always, always find someone looking for homosexual romance in series like this, where the focus of the story isn't centered in romantic love AT ALL. There's camaraderie, loyalty and extreme trust in the bonds that form, but there's not THAT kind of relationship no matter how much you need it to be there. Sieg - Reinhard? bonds formed through sharing the same goals, not to mention Kircheis loved Annerose. Yang & Julian ? Father & son...even LEGALLY in the canon ! how messed up you have to be to see otherwise is beyond me. Mittermeyer & Reuenthal ? The former is married and desperately in love with his wife.
Now, I realize, even in the original series, the line between friendship and something else could get blurry when it comes to Reinhard towards Kircheis. That much is true. However...the fact that anyone sees more than these two characters is very telling.

The moment I saw the new designs for this remake I just KNEW a portion of the modern audience (female, of course) would want to see that kind of vibe. I shouldn't be surprised, yet I never find it not annoying.
Intranetusa

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Nina_Fortner wrote:
I wonder why you can always, always find someone looking for homosexual romance in series like this, where the focus of the story isn't centered in romantic love AT ALL. ...
The moment I saw the new designs for this remake I just KNEW a portion of the modern audience (female, of course) would want to see that kind of vibe. I shouldn't be surprised, yet I never find it not annoying.

A lot of guys love to fantasize about girl on girl lesbian action. So it's no surprise some girls likr to fantasize about guy on guy action.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2