• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Lupin III THE FIRST CG Anime Film Debuted at #2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Guess going full CG didn't adversely affect it to much eh? Wink
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:47 pm Reply with quote
So what was in first place? I haven’t been keeping up to date on the JP box office but I’m guessing Weathering With You is at the top dominating like Shinkai’s last film did?

I’d also chalk the Lupin vs Conan film as more of a Detective Conan film than a Lupin film, so it makes sense that it earned more since it seems like Conan is the bigger money maker of the two. That being said, really pleased with the earnings so far. Gives me hope that it’ll be a big success and that Marza can possibly continue producing CG Lupin films in the future. It looks great! I hope it gets a theatrical release in the west of some form, I’d be willing to drive quite the distance to see 3D Lupin on the big screen.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
So what was in first place? I haven’t been keeping up to date on the JP box office but I’m guessing Weathering With You is at the top dominating like Shinkai’s last film did?

Weathering With You is still playing in some theaters, but it is no longer in the top 10 films of the week. Frozen 2 is the current #1 film in Japan.
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:07 am Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
Guess going full CG didn't adversely affect it to much eh? Wink

Unless TMS or Toho says something, there's no frame of reference to judge if this is a success or not. There hasn't been a standalone animated Lupin feature in decades so there's nothing to compare its box office to. No one knows the budget of The First.

However, how many decent looking theatrical CG movies are made for <$10 Million? None? Toei's CG Harlock film, which Marza animated, cost over $30 million to make. A similar budget was estimated for the Saint Seiya film. If Lupin's in the same ballpark, a $13 million total in Japan would be a poor showing. They would need international markets to not make it a flop. Does China like Lupin?
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:09 am Reply with quote
Primus: They like the unofficial remake, From Beijing With Love. Wink
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:10 am Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
[
Weathering With You is still playing in some theaters, but it is no longer in the top 10 films of the week. Frozen 2 is the current #1 film in Japan.

Oh god.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Unless TMS or Toho says something, there's no frame of reference to judge if this is a success or not. There hasn't been a standalone animated Lupin feature in decades so there's nothing to compare its box office to. No one knows the budget of The First.

However, how many decent looking theatrical CG movies are made for <$10 Million? None? Toei's CG Harlock film, which Marza animated, cost over $30 million to make. A similar budget was estimated for the Saint Seiya film. If Lupin's in the same ballpark, a $13 million total in Japan would be a poor showing. They would need international markets to not make it a flop. Does China like Lupin?

I’m not sure about China but I do know that Europe adores Lupin. And it’s already been confirmed for an Italian release as well as in Brazil. I definitely think it’ll top off well internationally when all is said and done. I mean, they must have had the worldwide market in mind. How many CG anime films, or even anime films in general, can you think of that have actually broken 30 million? Maybe a lot and I’m just that unaware, lol. I will say you’d think with Lupin’s longevity that it would do even better. But maybe audiences just think “eh, I’ll just wait until it’s on tv/streaming.”?
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Aussie release please. We already got shafted on the Konosuba movie...please don't let my favourite anime franchise get skipped.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1