• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Vinland Saga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:19 pm Reply with quote
I like that Thors is mentioned more often in this review than Thorfinn, the main character, cause boy is it a good sign of how boring an uninteresting Thorfinn is. I get that he might, at some point in the far away futur, develop into an interesting character but for those first 24 episodes he really just waste time and space.

Would have loved for all that time to instead go toward Cannute development spoiler[(so we don't need his personality to do a full 180)].
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:37 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
I like that Thors is mentioned more often in this review than Thorfinn, the main character, cause boy is it a good sign of how boring an uninteresting Thorfinn is. I get that he might, at some point in the far away futur, develop into an interesting character but for those first 24 episodes he really just waste time and space.

Would have loved for all that time to instead go toward Cannute development spoiler[(so we don't need his personality to do a full 180)].

Because Vinland Saga is Thorfinn’s story, as manga goes to chapter 168 as time of writing, he is unmistakably the soul of this story and real messenger of this story’s thematic cores. There is a reason that first 54 manga chapters and 24 episodes end with “the end of prologue

I get that not everyone will be interested to witness that journey, but you are not supposed to like Thorfinn in the prologue because him and Canute’s real character growth starts after the prologue, there are good reasons why these historically famous figures made impacts to their time period, and I welcome people to witness that change themselves
Vizo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:51 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched the anime but I've read some of the manga- mostly the farm arc and a little bit after before falling off.
The art was so amazingly detailed and the action was brutal yet inventive. Each character had a unique, reasonable perspective and development. Despite this, I never would have guessed that this anime would be so well received. I guess I thought it would be too mature. I'm glad it's doing well and hope it gets dubbed soon.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
At one point, we're essentially forced to accept divine inspiration as the motivation for a character to shift his personality entirety

I'm not exactly sure how you came to this conclusion. When Canute spoiler[stopped using his faith as a crutch and his eyes open up to how unfair and cruel the world that God has created and maintained is that he decides to stop leaving matters to God and do something for himself], wouldn't you say that's the opposite of divine inspiration?
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

yeah, I also found that part of th review weird; but considering how other people have been interpreting vinalnd saga, that's far from bothering me.
Eddy564

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:34 pm Reply with quote
My anime of the year for 2019. Brutal yet beautiful. Poetic yet literal. Shout out to Wit for constantly producing quality even when the production value got a little wonky towards the third act of the prologue. Canute and Askeladd are both stand out characters of the last year of anime.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:34 pm Reply with quote
It just dawned on me that the acting in this, I never usually judge the JP track, was really good considering how hard it must be. Askeladds VA for example has to play a man on the other side of the world from a thousand years ago who is half Danish and half Welsh, and that's before you even get to his complex personality.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Naoya Uchida definitely delivered as Askeladd, one of the best performances of the year, and probably the decade. I've loved his work since first hearing his very memorable Hayato Jin in Getter Robo Armageddon, and I feel like here he really proved himself to be one of the best in the business.
ericarreza

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Eddy564 wrote:
My anime of the year for 2019. Brutal yet beautiful. Poetic yet literal. Shout out to Wit for constantly producing quality even when the production value got a little wonky towards the third act of the prologue. Canute and Askeladd are both stand out characters of the last year of anime.

And it was only a 1st season of that series and the manga is still on the writings and probably there'll be more arc stories on Vinland Saga, much longer than Attack on Titans.

I wonder if Vinland Saga is a replacement to the Game of Thrones series which is now gone? At least both of them have a winter scenes on it Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1