• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Screen Violet Evergarden I: Eternity and the Auto Memory Doll Anime in U.S. Thea

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:27 am Reply with quote
Hopefully before BD release in Japan, that way more people would be motivated to see it themselves, it worked wonderfully for movies like Bunny girl Senpai and Konosuba this year, I certainly hope it woks this time too. (I am gonna watch it in theaters regardless Wink )
Demonskid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:50 am Reply with quote
My hope is that it comes to my local theater. Nothing anime ever seems to come to my small town area.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:54 am Reply with quote
I'm in shock. After seeing leaks about Netflix doing the dub, I did NOT expect anyone else to get theater rights. THANK YOU SO MUCH FUNIMATION!! I just rewatched the TV series and loved it even more than I did the first time through. So much water lost from my eyes.

They even got the title correct! (Memory Doll instead of "Memories Doll" that Netflix uses)

Edit: still seems unlikely for us to a home release so I'm still gonna have to save money to import blu-ray from Australia, UK, or Japan.

Also it seems likely Funimation will get "The Movie" since they added a "I" (one) to the title of this, implying Funi is gonna add "II" to "The Movie" when it comes out later this year.
Doc

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:34 am Reply with quote
Demonskid wrote:
My hope is that it comes to my local theater. Nothing anime ever seems to come to my small town area.

My local theater usually doesn't either but Weathering With You is showing this week there so I am definitely going to support that. I am really hoping that this leads to Funimation getting the licencing for the physical release of Violet Evergarden as this is one of my favorite titles to come out in a long time.
chrisc1978

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:57 am Reply with quote
Why only English Subtitle screening? I started to go to the cinemas last year to see Gkids films dubbed. I don't want to spend about $16 and drive 45 minutes to the closest cinema (then 45 minutes back home.) just to see subtitles. I can't wait, I'm going to see Weathering With You dubbed in English on Wednesday January 15th.

Last edited by chrisc1978 on Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:09 am Reply with quote
chrisc1978 wrote:
Why only English Subtitle screening? I started to go to the cinemas last year to see Gkids films dubbed. I don't want to spend about $16 and drive 45 minutes to the closest cinema (then 45 minutes back home.) just to see subtitles.

Most likely it’s because Violet Evergarden isn’t as hot of a commodity as MHA or even Fate, so they don’t want to risk it. They’ll probably release it dubbed on home video, and even if Funimation does it, they’re the only company that reliably outsources, so you can expect Erika Harlacher back sooner or later.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:40 am Reply with quote
I am happy with this development. I hope Funimation is able to release the series (and other Netflix shows) on BD.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:07 pm Reply with quote
If this film gets dubbed to Latin American Spanish, they will had a hard time to find a new voice actress for Violet, since her previous one tragically died yesterday... Sad Sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
chrisc1978 wrote:
Why only English Subtitle screening? I started to go to the cinemas last year to see Gkids films dubbed. I don't want to spend about $16 and drive 45 minutes to the closest cinema (then 45 minutes back home.) just to see subtitles.

Most likely it’s because Violet Evergarden isn’t as hot of a commodity as MHA or even Fate, so they don’t want to risk it. They’ll probably release it dubbed on home video, and even if Funimation does it, they’re the only company that reliably outsources, so you can expect Erika Harlacher back sooner or later.

Sure VE isn't the big thing like those projects but neither is a movie like Haikara-san and Eleven Arts still commissioned a dub for that. Funimation isn't the scrappy little anime company out of Texas anymore they're owned by Sony now so really they should be able to handle these things more now. So maybe it's more of a thing with Netflix but I really don't know.
dragon695

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:48 pm Reply with quote
chrisc1978 wrote:
Why only English Subtitle screening? I started to go to the cinemas last year to see Gkids films dubbed. I don't want to spend about $16 and drive 45 minutes to the closest cinema (then 45 minutes back home.) just to see subtitles. I can't wait, I'm going to see Weathering With You dubbed in English on Wednesday January 15th.

Shouldn’t you be grateful they are even going to show it in theaters at all?
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:23 pm Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:
If this film gets dubbed to Latin American Spanish, they will had a hard time to find a new voice actress for Violet, since her previous one tragically died yesterday... Sad Sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Care to tell more? There doesn't seem to be any English news about.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
Sure VE isn't the big thing like those projects but neither is a movie like Haikara-san and Eleven Arts still commissioned a dub for that. Funimation isn't the scrappy little anime company out of Texas anymore they're owned by Sony now so really they should be able to handle these things more now. So maybe it's more of a thing with Netflix but I really don't know.

The English dub for this side-story movie has already been confirmed to be in production for Netflix. Either Funimation doesn't have the rights to it, or Netflix simply wants it to exclusively premiere on their platform.
geepee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
luisedgarf wrote:

Care to tell more? There doesn't seem to be any English news about.

Apparently it was suicide,though it's not confirmed yet(people are assuming that because René Garcia,the latin voice of Vegeta,posted about losing a fellow VA so young to suicide,but didn't mention her by name). And she was only 21...
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:47 pm Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:

I heard the news yesterday too, I can't believe that Andrea Arruti passed away, she was only 21 years old but she voiced many characters in different anime, films and cartoons, I couldn't find much information about her death apart from some mentions. May she rest in peace Crying or Very sad
I don't want to think about replacements yet, but Andrea had a cousin who's also a voice actress, Lourdes Arruti (she voices Kobayashi in Dragon Maid), perhaps she can take Andrea's role, although she already voiced a character in Violet Evergarden.
zrdb

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:44 pm Reply with quote
chrisc1978 wrote:

Exactly my point-I refuse to pay $14 to see subbed only anime. No dub-no watch.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2